close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad road and bad cager got me good - the Tuono is totalled

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Jul 24, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

was riding home from Hermosa Beach this last Saturday 22 July 2006 to meet up with Sinecure of GT, and as I was taking a left turn through the green light to get to the freeway 110N, the car in front of me suddenly jammed on the brakes and I braked and skidded off to hit the curb.

The long version:

The light was green as was the light before it so everybody; cagers and myself, are already at around 30-35 MPH, I was about maybe 15-ft back from the cage in front of me with another SUV on my ***. So we all went into the left turn and suddenly the cage in front of me hit the brakes hard. I couldn't go left because there is already a car on the other lane. I couldn't brake too hard because there was the aforementioned truck in the rear of me. And at this point I was already leaned over at the apex of the turn. I tried to stand the bike up and braked and hope to go to the right of the car. However, the rippled pavement (very bad uneven surface, I felt like I was on a washboard) caused me to run wide (I think that I was doing a 2-wheels drift) instead of standing the bike up and next thing I know I hit the curb and flew over the handlebar. Did a face plant (thank you, Arai Quantum II!!!) and slid for about 10-ft. Stood up, checked myself real quick and then turned off the ignition to the bike. Snapped the triple tree right off the neck plus other damages.

The broad jumped out and said she was sorry she thought there was an animal that ran in front of her car. I was pissed off and called her names and she took off. A guy in a car behind the truck that was behind me came up and helped me hauled the bike off the road and onto the sidewalk. He said he saw my wheels slid out.

The tally is one totalled Tuono, one trashed helmet and slightly scuffed BMW Airflow II jacket, scuffed First Gear mesh gloves, and slightly scuffed First Gear MeshTex overpants. My boots didn't look like they received any damage at all. And of course the resultant sore muscles, etc. I already called the insurance company and got things rolling. I guess when Mr. Murphy pays you a visit, he brought the whole enchilada.

I'm just glad that the speed was low and once again, the gears came to the rescue. I'm pissed because I thought that as careful as I ride on the street, a cager wouldn't be able to tag me, but in this case it was bad luck all around. When I lowsided the Rockster in the canyon a few months back I was upset at myself for pushing too hard, but in this case, I don't know who to be pissed at - the stupid cager, the stupid road or me for going to the beach instead of riding the canyon.

One thing for sure, the gears worked for me. I won't lecture to adults on how to handle their businesses, but the gears worked for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

3. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

ATGATT!

Good Job! Be prepared.

4. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Too bad, man. Shame about your Aprilia, but walking away unhurt is a still a win. The gear did a good job, especially considering how light it is.

I know exactly what you mean about thinking you could avoid accidents with cars. I feel the same way, even though I know good and damn well that it isn't really true.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Since that the bike is totalled, the insurance company will have to settle rather quickly. Yeah, the chick was stupid but I think that if the pavement wasn't so bad and caused the loss of traction when I tried to brake, I would have been OK. But when the bike is bucking underneath you like a washboard and little traction to be found, I don't know what else I could have done. Sure I could have gone slower, but then that truck behind me was already on my hind end.

I'm glad that I didn't lay the bike down because had I ended up on the streets I might have gotten ran over.

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

That is my biggest fear. Sure the gear will save me from the fall, but the 4 cagers behind me will run me over. Here in FL, that is a big problem with hit and run over and over... (There was a case last year in St. Petersburg of a pedistrian being hit and run over, and run over and run over!!! -- none of the 4 cars that ran her over stopped.)

I guess the sue-happiness of the legal profession in FL, makes the perps run away.

Glad you are in one piece. Sorry about the bike.

7. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

Damn, even when they're in front of you they're still trying to kill you. Glad you made it through with relatively little damage.

8. Gravity

Gravity

Excellent post for all of us FN.

Make sure you check out his pic of the helmet.
    Now imagine you had one of those "cool" beanies on.
    Talk about facial injuries.

That's one of my fears also. My gear saves my butt because I wear proper and a cager behind me finishes me off not paying attention.

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Sorry to hear about the spill. Glad that you're alright though!

Hey, whatcha gonna replace it with?

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Depending on how much I'm getting back from the insurance company, I would go with either the new 2nd generation Tuono or I may have to settle for a Ducati Monster S2R 1000. I don't want to owe too much, if at all.

Or I may just say the hell with it and put the money in the bank and just ride the Brutale 910 more. It's not a V-twin but it's still red and Italian.:clown:

11. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

Fnfalman-

Ok, you've told your longer verison. Where's the short version? :)

Kidding aside, I'm glad you're ok. I'm still wearing t-shirt and shorts but at least I'm wearing my Shoei helmet. I'll watch out for any cars with PETA or ASPCA bumper stickers because they will brake hard for anything that might come across their directions.

Yes, your gear saved you and your fast decision-making skills also helped out that prevented you from being squeezed in between.

Maybe you should use your insurance money on new 2006 BMW R1200S? :D

-ChaZ

12. norton

norton

Glad you're ok man.
    The lady that pulled out in front of me and my buddy got both of us.
    She told me while I was laying on the ambulance stretcher she didn't see me.
    She couldn't tell my riding buddy anything. He was gone.

On a happier note, while at the Darke County AMA grand national dirt track race last Saturday night, I saw an Aprilia engined dirt tracker mixing it up with the best sideways sliders in the world. If you engine's not messed up, now's the time for you to start that Grand National Dirt track career you've always dreamed about;)

13. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Less traffic off-raod too. ;)

14. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Yeah, me, too; well, at least on my commutes to work anyways.

Gear is nice, but it ain't gonna save your life. Only a helmet will do that. Gear just protects the more sensitive spots we have. :clown:

15. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Can we have a moment of silence for the fallen Tuono?
    Ohhh.... glad to see you are OK too fnfalman.

16. Twisted10

Twisted10

17. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Yeah, but that back protector might mean the difference between a few bruises and doing the post-fall Christopher Reeve the rest of your life. Ever actually look at a good back protector like a Dianese - it only allows flexion in one direction, the RIGHT direction. Functioning arms and legs are nice. A hell of a lot better than, "Honey, I think I just went potty. Again......"

And a serious case of road rash is more than just an ouchie - it opens you up to infection like a third degree burn.

Ever seen what it takes to put a shattered patella back together? Lots and lots of wire, surgery, and you get a nice limp to add character for the rest of your life. The pain is just a bonus.

A serious ankle fracture may require fusion of the bones - try walking for the next 40 years without bending your ankle.

Wear gloves? Like using your fingers?

I'm not trying to be Safety Sam, but just relying on a helmet and thinking the rest will be minor is a serious error. Riding in shorts/t-shirt (and let me guess - no boots either) is foolish, foolish, foolish. Do you have insurance that will replace the lost wages while you recover? Pay your mortgage? Put food on your table? Do you have health insurance that will even cover all the expenses? Take care of your kids while you recover, if you have any?

I LOVE riding motorcycles, but in my work I see the results of crashes, and it ain't always pretty. There is a trial going on right now in town where a lady left turned in front of a rider, didn't kill him, but his meds are over $300,000.00. That doesn't even include lost wages. How many drivers do you think have $300,000.00 plus in liability coverage? Not many. This lady has $100K, btw. The rider has to deal with the rest. Good luck, and if you are forced into Bankruptcy, you will learn what the Bankruptcy "reform" legislation that Bush signed actually means.

18. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Following too closely, eh? Sorry but somebody had to say it. If you don't realize that, it might happen again. I'm glad to hear you're fine and also that you have collision insurance.

I was riding with my buddy yesterday, up in the mountains. It was his first ride since he wrecked a couple months ago (was going too fast and went off, highsided himself back onto the pavement ouch). I fixed and repainted his bike, but it took his ribs awhile to recover....

So yesterday, as we retraced the route taken the last time he dumped it, he started tailgaiting a cage, who eventually slammed the brakes, my buddy briefly locked the front and got squirrly.

At the next stop he said: "did you see that $$$hole, he almost caused me to wreck?!!". I predict more accidents ahead for my buddy.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I either maintained my original spacing (15-ft) or I get ran over by the SUV that was already riding my ***.;) It's not like I was on the freeway or on the regular street where I can maneuver and run away.

Anyway thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm glad that I'm in one piece. The bike will be covered by insurance. When you ride a lot in traffic, your chances of getting into an accident goes up. If a rider can't deal with that fact then he or she needs to change the priority accordingly like riding only in the back roads or don't ride at all. I choose to ride everywhere and I'll take my lumps accordingly.

20. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I only wish to point out that you have already blamed: 1)Murphy, 2)the Cage you were following, and 3)the Road, while accepting ZERO blame for this crash yourself.

If you are following closely enough that you couldn't stop in time, you were indeed following too closely period, no matter the reason.

This is your second single-vehicle crash this year, no? First one you blamed on the engine layout on your BMW IIRC. I see a possible pattern that I wish to point out for your own benefit.

I am not trying to insult you, nor make light of your crashes and your loss. It's up to you to either consider or disregard what I'm saying. It seems you've chosen to disregard. So now I'll stop saying it ;)