close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad PR for CCW holders....

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by southernreign, Jan 30, 2010.

1. southernreign

southernreign

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

This is the topic of a thread closed for a variety of reasons other than the topic itself.

This thread will remain open as long as the discussion is civil.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010

3. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The text of the link. Bolding is mine. I bolded a few of the facts more interesting to myself

Police: Ex-Mother-in-Law Killed Utah Teacher
    Saturday, January 30, 2010

PrintShareThisSALT LAKE CITY — A 70-year-old woman shot and killed her former daughter-in-law in the parking lot of the preschool where the young teacher worked, Utah police said Saturday.

Mary Nance Hanson is accused of firing multiple shots into the car of Tetyana Nikitina, 34, as she prepared to leave Friday from the Salt Lake Community Action Program Head Start school.

Police said the suspect called 911 and was waiting at the scene when officers arrived. When asked why she had fired the shots, she told a 911 dispatcher, "I don't know, and that's all I'm going to say."

Nikitina, a single mother of two, was behind the steering wheel when officers arrived. She was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

According to court records obtained by the Deseret News, Nikitina filed for divorce from Dale Jankowski in February 2005. Police say they believe Jankowski is Hanson's son.

Records show that twice after the divorce, in August 2005 and in January 2006, Nikitina filed for protective orders against Jankowski, claiming cohabitant abuse.

Unified Police Lt. Don Hutson told the Deseret News they can't identify a specific event that triggered the shooting. He said there were ongoing custody battles, "but that's nothing new."

Hanson, a concealed weapons permit holder, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on suspicion of murder. She lives in Taylorsville, as did Nikitina.

Salt Lake Community Action Program Head Start is a federally funded, comprehensive early childhood development program serving low-income children between the ages of 3 and 5.

Nikitina had been with the school for five years as an assistant teacher.

Hutson said no children attend classes on Fridays, but teachers were there for training.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Bad press for ex-mother-in-laws!

5. acpd442

acpd442

When you in-law guns only mothers in law will have guns.:whistling:

6. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Yes, this kind of news is never positive. The sad part is that misuse of many things causes mayhem and death, from cell phones to cars to bricks, but you only hear about banning or more regulation for firearms. This is why gun owners have to be pro active in presenting a good image. We have to go on the offensive, so to speak, and show that the vast majority of us are responsible and law-abiding citizens. We live in a strange culture, that's for sure, where common sense and basic morality are turned upside down.

7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Taylorsville woman requests death penalty, pleads guilty to shooting ex-daughter-in-law

SALT LAKE CITY — A 71-year-old Taylorsville woman charged with gunning down her former daughter-in-law in a preschool parking lot pleaded guilty Wednesday and immediately asked the judge to sentence her to death.

"I would like to be sent forthwith to the prison, and I would like to request death by lethal injection," Mary Nance Hanson told 3rd District Judge William Barrett.

When the judge advised Hanson that hers was not a death penalty case, she responded: "Well, then I guess I didn't do a good enough job."......

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ds-guilty-to-shooting-ex-daughter-in-law.html

8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

The mother was 70 y.o. and the ex-wife was 34 y.o. So Dale, the son/ex-hubby, was anywhere from 35 to 45 y.o., right?

Sometimes a mom just has to stop being overprotective of the child and let him handle his own problems, and their consequences.

Guess the mother was competing against the ex-wife.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  9. matt c

matt c

yeah, bad news.

10. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    [​IMG]

11. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

Bad news maybe, but not for CCW, RKB, etc.

First of all, Utah is not exactly anti-gun as far as states go. Secondly - and probably more importantly - if the allegations are true, then the perp was presumably acqainted with the hit vic. Possibly well-acquainted.

That is hardly the same thing as a CCW holder going non-linear and hosing down a group of innocents, or capping some stranger who flipped them off in traffic.

Those random incidents would be bad for CCW, RKB, etc. This appears to be a case of cold-blooded, pre-meditated murder.

OTOH, if I were a Utah senior citizen, I might be worried the issuing authority will tighten restrictions for permits. For example, making a diagnosis of Alzheimer's or dementia a disqualifying condition.

Then again, I might not think that's such a bad idea.

ETA 1: The report stating that the alleged perp requested immediate execution strongly suggests the presence of a disqualifying condition, specifically mental illness.

ETA 2: It would still appear to be case of Murder One, but it would not surprise me to see an insanity defense mounted (or at least attempted...)

12. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

On a sidenote, 70 is the new 60...

13. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Police brutality. He is assaulting the whole parking lot by letting her gut hang out.:rofl: Let her @$$ fry.

14. AA#5

AA#5

I agree it's bad publicity for CCW, but some people in the general gene pool will have the common sense to reason:

Suppose she didn't have a CCW. What would stop her from retrieving a gun from her house & doing the same thing?

15. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

Huh? :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  16. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

I believe the OP's point was this incident might be used to incite the enactment of restrictions or otherwise limit CCW.

FWIW, I don't think it will beyond the usual media BS (especially not in Utah), and they'll eventually drop it like they do everything else.

HTH

:wavey:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  17. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Please stay on topic...

18. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Regarding CCW I don't see much affect. In fact, the Grandmother doesn't appear to have a CWW. That would mean she was carrying illegally, and if anything, is only an example that a criminal will not respect the law if they want to do something illegal.

19. PAGunner

PAGunner

I"m really not suprised she requested death. I've always wondered why more old people who don't want to live anymore with an axe to grind didn't resort to these actions. I guess for most it boils down to a belief in God and not wanting to tarnish the family name.

20. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

So a deranged MIL shoot the Daughterin law and its bad for Gun owners? Why is it bad for gun owners? So it would be any worse if she had used a knife? Or a base ball bat? Crazy people do crazy things!:whistling: