close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad one brewing! Heads up Guys, Stay safe.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by lawandorder, Jan 14, 2010.

1. deadday

deadday

When are agencies going to start taking transports seriously? Chain the ****er down, and chain him good. Everytime. Transports should NEVER be done with just one officer.

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Bathroom break? Don't stop at public areas for prisoners to pee. They can hold it or sit in a wet jumpsuit.

3. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

It was a third party transport company. The equivalent of Gecko45's Transport Service.

I'm not surprised.

4. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

He was being transferred to my county (where I live, hopefully someday work for as well). The murder happened not too far from me, either.

I know that the escape took place a pretty fair distance from us here in Waukesha, but you better believe it's a huge topic in the news. Not just cops, but everybody knows this guy's face and are all keeping an eye out for him.

5. trifecta

trifecta

Anybody know how that works as far as a private company having someone in custody across state lines?

And great job with a murder suspect.

6. lawandorder

lawandorder

Captured

VAN BUREN, Ark. (AP) - Police in Van Buren say an inmate who escaped during a rest stop after stabbing a guard has been recaptured in eastern Oklahoma.

Police Lt. Brent Grill says 26-year-old Justin Welch was arrested about noon Thursday on Interstate 40 near Sallisaw. Grill says Welch had taken a truck driver hostage but was arrested without further incident.

An Oklahoma Highway Patrol spokesman did not immediately return a phone call for comment and other details were not available.

Police say Welch escaped about 2:45 a.m. Wednesday when he stabbed a private extradition company guard and stole the company's van during a rest stop in Van Buren.

The guard was treated and released.

7. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

It's been done for many years. We used to use, I think it was called Tri-State Extradition Service. Never had problems with them that I know of, but they aren't being used anymore.

No way should a murder suspect been in the custody of private guards. Why couldn't the agency who worked the case send a couple of detectives to extradite him via air, or at least the sheriff's office send their transport section's long-haul guy?

8. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

The news report I saw never said the truck driver was taken hostage, but that he acted accordingly and really well.

From what I heard, he texted his mother to alert authorities. When squads pulled up behind is truck, the suspect went for a gun in his bag. The truck driver got it away from him and the suspect was arrested. The truck driver was quoted saying something along the times of, "I'm a big boy. I can handle myself."

Again, this is just what I remember hearing on the local news. No idea if it's actually the true account.

9. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

My favorite part (not): "Authorities say the transport van had previously been equipped with a GPS tracking system, but it had been recently disabled as a cost-cutting measure." No wonder they got the low bid. *sigh* Glad he's back behind bars where he belongs.

10. Vigilant

Vigilant

There is a reason why all our transport vans reek of pee inside....

11. irish_ironsight

irish_ironsight

AFAIK the company transferring the inmate must have a prearranged agreement with each individual State through which they pass while an inmate is in their custody.

12. TexasFats

TexasFats NRA, TSRA, SAF

That suspect was very smart to surrender. I used to live in Oklahoma, and OHP is not bashful about the use of deadly force. On the other hand, my experience with them on occasions when I have been stopped for traffic violations has been that, if you are courteous towards them, they will be the most courteous and professional officers that you will ever meet. OKC PD--that used to be another matter. A friend of mine, who was on a neighboring police force said that OKC had too many "John Wayne wannabes." I haven't been back in years, so it may be different now.

13. Mattz

Mattz

I don't believe OHP was involved in the stop, I could be wrong, though. Sallisaw PD was the one that took him into custody. Story is he didn't quite cooperate when he got stopped, and as you can see he has some cuts on his head. I was told by an officer that was there when he got walked out from the PD later on he said to a reporter "look what the police did to my head" and the reporter replied "look what you did to that guard".

This situation hit a little too close to home, but it ended the best way it could have. It could have been a lot worse.

14. mikegun

mikegun

we used to use, a service , flying deputy something, they were not deputies, but bg could not escPE, AS THEY WERE ON A SMALL PLANE, they would all die....