close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad news from the vet

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by kswiss2783, Mar 27, 2006.

1. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

My dad took our dog, Dusty, into the vet this morning because he hadn't been going #1 as often as he used to. Vet did some blood work and found out that he is in the early stages of kidney failure. He must be given certain vitams a day( don't know what ones) and is restricted to what he can eat. I suppose this is to be expected since he is 13 years old. I am pretty upset by this news since I grew up with that dog. (I'm 22). Poor guy.

2. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

Sorry to hear then man. :(

It's always bad when you have to get the news about a beloved member of the family. I have been through this with too many pets, and it is hard (and different) with each one.

3. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

I hope that when his time has come that he just doesn't wake up 1 morning. I'd rather have that then have him put down.

4. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

prayers sent . life is rough. going thru some really bad times too.

5. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

My poor dog can only eat pasta, pasta sauce, fruit and veggies because protien is too hard on his kidneys. Poor dog!

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

My dog's favorite food was pasta. Plain, with sauces, mac n' cheese, however. He might be happier with this "diet" than you think. :)

Hang in there.

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

kswiss...........

I hope that you and the vet can decide when it is time......don't let your buddy suffer. If you find that his quality of life is not what it once was, maybe you need to consider the only humane thing.......

It's a tough thing, and heartbreaking, but it is merciful and humane.

My thoughts are with you and your pup.........

8. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

Thanks ATL. Apparently, he is not suffering (according to my parents and sister). His going back to the vet today for more bloodwork, so we'll see what happens.

9. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

Vet told my dad that our dog has cancer. He is on meds to see if the pain can be eased. If not, he must be put down.

10. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

I was in the exact same situation about two months ago. Our 14 yr old dog, Toby, was diagnosed with cancer. There was a lump on his neck and he was so sore he couldn't eat his normal dog food. We had to put him to sleep January 25. It was very hard since I grew up with him (got him when I was 9, I'm 23 now). My thoughts are with you and never forget the people in this forum are here for you.

11. Arcangel7769

Arcangel7769

Hang in there bud. One thing tho. If each day is painful for him, then maybe it's his time. If it is, then what any dog would wish is that the one person in his life that means the most to him holds him in his arms as he go's to sleep for the last time. I can sympathize, I've been in this situation before. Keep us posted.

p.s. Shadow (on the left) sends his doggie prayers and offers Dusty his 2nd best bone.

12. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

It has been decided that if the medication doesn't allow him to walk within the nexy day or 2, he'll be put down. I'm ok with it- it's the right thing to do.

13. walkin man

walkin man

I'm sorry to hear that your friend is in bad shape. You and he have had many good times, but it's up to you to take care of him in the bad times as well. As others have posted it is hard to do but it is one of the burdens we bear as caretakers of lesser creatures. Our prayers are with you. The members of this forum have helped me through this twice in the last year and we are here for you as well.

I hope you have pictures and can bring yourself to share them with us as well.

Best wishs friend

walkin man

14. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

Yes, I will post some pics once I get home. My sister has them on her camera.

15. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

16. pangris

pangris Moderator

We found out today that our mastiff is having hip problems and we are beside ourselves. He is such a big part of our lives. My wife used to tear up when people asked what their lifespan was, and that was when we thought he was perfectly healthy - today has been a gusherfest and I have to admit that she isn't the only one. He is only 3 and apparently he is in a fair amount of pain. :crying: