Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To give some background. Before I had glock 9mms, I had pistols with "normal" rifling and therefore loaded up some lead bullets. Since going to glock I have used FMJ (mostly winchester 124gr and berry's plated 124gp FP).

However, I had a few hundred rounds loaded that were 115gr Laser Cast bullets over 7.2gr of Blue Dot that were loaded long ago.

I bought a KKM that I got at a good deal in order to maybe shoot lead and to have a "match" barrel. Really, I noticed no accuracy difference between the stock G34 barrel and the KKM barrel.

Today, I went to range to test out magazines I have had issues with (I have 12 ten round magazines that tend to "auto eject" when firing when using flat point bullets. I fired all the mags today at least once with no issue using RN FMJ winchester bullets.

Then I switched to the KKM and tried the lead loads in the magazines and G34.

Well hot damn. That lead load was the most accurate load I have ever shot in the G34. Essenstially the target was one hole about 2 inches in diameter.

This load was just awesome with the G34.

Now I am faced with a problem. Do I order some Laser Cast bullets or stick with FMJ? Problem with Laser cast is they cant be used in the G36 or G19 (stock barrels) or G34 with a stock barrel.

Methinks, I have to compromise now. I think I need to order a few thousand laser cast for target shooting with the G34 and for IDPA (the KKM barrel is allowed).

Then use FMJ or HAP for shooting in other pistols. I haven't tried, HAP and they are a tapered bullet instead of RN.

I have also heard great things about Montana Gold bullets, but would they really be much better than Winchester or Remington FMJ?

Problems, Problems, Problems.

-Dana

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Start casting, you'll have to go to Kansas for your wheel weights though... all the ones in Colorado are mine.

Jack

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
Or you could use the lazercast in all your glocks and clean the barrels each time you shoot.

The big advantage to plated and coated bullets is you only have to clean your barrel barrel once a year.

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start casting, you'll have to go to Kansas for your wheel weights though... all the ones in Colorado are mine.

Jack
Yeah, but I am closer to Denver....more weights to steal....

When you hear the police report that an entire parking lot had the wheel weights removed....you know what happened....

My problem with casting is:
1) I don't want lead fumes in the house
2) I am a girly man and don't want to do it outside.
3) No time

-Dana

·
Registered
553 Posts
You can shoot lead through your stock barrels. The polygonal rifling likes a harder bullet and laser cast bullets are usually pretty hard. I'd give it a try and see how it works.

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
You can shoot lead through your stock barrels. The polygonal rifling likes a harder bullet and laser cast bullets are usually pretty hard. I'd give it a try and see how it works.
That would make too much sense, besides, the internets say it will cause hair to grow on your palms.

·
Gone Shooting!
1,737 Posts
Or you could use the lazercast in all your glocks and clean the barrels each time you shoot.

The big advantage to plated and coated bullets is you only have to clean your barrel barrel once a year.
Ding, ding, ding... WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Shotgunred speaks the truth. There are many of us that have shot many thousands of rounds through the OEM Glock barrel and still have all of our fingers installed correctly. There are many half-truths on the good'ol Internet (as I am sure you are well aware). I am willing to bet money that many of those that profess doom and gloom to those that shoot lead through a Glock have never even shot a single lead bullet through the barrel of their gun. They just repeat what others have said before them and to them this is Gospel.

Bare lead bullets will produce better accuracy than many FMJ bullets based solely on the fact that they are softer. They will obdurate better than FMJ bullets which will therefore allow them to grip the rifling more efficiently.

The trade off is that you will need to clean the barrel of your gun more often. Another issue that you will encounter is that bare lead bullets will also produce more smoke.

Also, avoid the temptation of wanting to shoot moly-coated bullets. This coating is a beast to remove and these bullets are neither any cleaner nor any more accurate than plated bullets.

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
Moly bullets are not magically going to prevent leading. It's mostly about bullet sizing. My Glock Barrel would lead horribly with moly, it leads horribly with Lead. It's oversized I thing and even a little () shaped (when you run a patch through it, it gets real easy in the middle and hard on the ends). So just be aware, non-plated/jacketed (ie:lead and moly) bullets take a lot more work to make them shoot right.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Jack
:rofl:

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
I have only shot Glocks in 40 S&W and noiw a 10mm, I shoot lead, plated and jacketed thru mine (stock barrels) and have had no problems.
Mine like hardcast run at 950 to 1100 FPS and do not lead that I have seen.
The 175gr LSWC's from SnS Casting are the most accurate I have loaded/shot of any bullet.
Different people have had different expriences doing this and mine have been very good.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
if you like it so much, why not try some other barrels for the other guns? maybe not allowed in competition? Lone Wolf barrels have served me well.

·
Crusty Member
10,818 Posts

That's a lie.

My G17 barrel never really needs to be cleaned. I just do it every once in a while when I feel really bad for it. I don't shoot bare lead in it though...then it might actually need cleaning.

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Photoshop missed a few powder burns in the corner :supergrin:
Believe me, as much as I like to joke about that group as though I'm bragging, and Jack and everyone likes to rib me about it being fake, I post it to stamp out the bull**** regarding lead and Glocks. Like other bull**** in the world, it spreads. I've seen posts here and there where people say you shouldn't use lead in ANY GUN. It just gets out of hand.

Yes, I shot that group. Yes I can do it any day of the week. Yes, it's an excellent group. No, I'm not a great shooter. Great shooters shoot that group every time, or they are also-rans. If I shoot ten groups, one will look like the pic, two will be almost as good, five will be twice as big (still not bad really) and two will be eight shots in 4" with two fliers opening the whole thing up to 7". That type of performance wouldn't even win me an exploding cigar. So, I have my moments, but I'm not a great shooter.

I just like to post it for all the people who say it can't be done. I like the DA group out of my GP100 for all the 'tards who go on and on about how the trigger on the LCP is "terrible". The types of people who shoot one box of ammo at one of those giant silloutte targets at 5 yards, proclaim the trigger to be "terrible" and sell the gun. Then they argue about the "trigger reset" (whatever that is) of a Glock Vs and XD and other stupid arguments. I know these people know nothing about shooting, have a closet full of guns and go to the range twice a year, and can't hit the blind side of a barn. Then some 20 year old who wants to buy his first gun reads all of their dribble and can't figure out which way to turn.

So, it's about the children. I post my refrigerator paper groups for the children.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts