close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad duty boots??

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Tvov, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Tvov

Tvov

This is different...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/01/05/2010-01-05_he_got_the_boots___it_cost_his_career.html

He was an EMS poster boy, but Keith Rock's career may be over because of a pair of clunky boots.

The 22-year veteran - who is so respected the FDNY put him on posters last year to mark Emergency Medical Service week - blames the mandatory boots for destroying the job he loved.

"I try to stay positive, but I can't even tie my shoes," the 50-year-old paramedic said in his Bronx home yesterday.

The awkward footwear was first given to EMTs and paramedics in 2006. Two years later, EMS workers were ordered to wear the Pro-Warrington boots - a pound heavier and more than an inch wider than their previous gear - all the time.

The "clown shoes" have been blamed for several falls - and Rock's is among the worst.

In October, he was helping a patient in the Bronx when he lost his balance on a set of stairs and pitched forward, rupturing tendons in both legs.

Rock's legs, the foundation of a strong physique that landed him in bodybuilding competitions and enabled him to help countless patients, can now barely support his own weight.

"I can never work in an ambulance again," said Rock, who was rushed into surgery after the accident and is now undergoing painful physical therapy. "It's the worst thing that ever happened to me."

EMT union officials - who blamed the boots for dozens of injuries - filed a grievance against the FDNY.

In September, as first reported by the Daily News, an arbitrator ruled for the union and EMS workers were allowed to go back to the old boots.

Paramedics like Rock, who no longer had the old ones, were required to wear the Pro-Warringtons.

"I struggled with them, losing my balance on steps and having trouble driving because the boot was so big it would bump the gas when I tried to hit the brake," Rock said. "I didn't want to complain and get in trouble."

On Oct. 24, after tending to a patient who had a seizure on the second floor of a Wickham Ave. home, Rock was bringing equipment downstairs to his ambulance when the heel of his boot caught on a step.

"My knees went forward while the rest of me went backwards," he said. "I was in so much pain [and] I couldn't lift my legs up. I thought 'Oh, my God, what did I do?'"

Last month, the FDNY and EMT union reached a deal allowing EMS workers to wear other brands of boots until the department settles on a new required model - a decision made too late to help Rock.

"I'm glad those boots won't hurt anyone else," said Rock, who is contemplating suing the city or the boot manufacturer.

FDNY officials have defended the Pro-Warringtons and insisted they worked with EMS workers to find boots that fit.

His legs encased in heavy metal braces, Rock has been told by doctors he will never be able to carry a patient or equipment again.

"I hope someday someone will say, 'This is just a dream, wake up, it's over,'" Rock said. "This is the job I love and I just want to go back to work."

jlemire@nydailynews.com

2. trifecta

trifecta

All the available brands out there and this was the best they could do? Anybody wear these? I'm not familiar with them.

3. KY Moose

KY Moose

So what pair of Warrington Pro boots are they required to wear? The company makes a number of different models that range from firefighting bunker boots, wildland, EMS, to station wear.

I have three pairs issued to me, and never had a problem.

4. Tvov

Tvov

Are you able to see the picture of the boots in the link? They are a little odd looking, with what seems to be HUGE soles - but it could just be the way they are photographed.

5. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Something doesn't add up here.

6. ditchdoc24

ditchdoc24

I wore them for several years and didn't have a problem. I agree that they are big and clunky but I got used to them and was very fond of them. The only problem is that they are do expensive to replace. I started wearing Danner boots and never went back.

7. KY Moose

KY Moose

Looking at the picture, the boots in question appear to be the 6006 model. Although I've never had a pair of those on, they don't look any heavier than their old structural zip ups.

I used to wear the old Pro structural zip up boots all of the time. They were just a little heavier than the previous boots I wore, but the fact they could be worn as a station boot, rescue, and for fires was a good trade off. After a while, I got used to the Pro boots and had no problem having them on for extended periods of time.

It does sound like something is not adding up in this situation.

8. dw0378

dw0378

There is most definitely nothing funny going on here. These boots are just not designed to be worn in the manner the FDNY wanted them worn. They are a clumsy boot the footprint seems much wider than anything else I have worn and they are generally bigger front to rear than anything also. The boots weigh in at close to 5 pounds ( double most any other boot).

They probably would not have had the complaints they did if we were only required to wear them on jobs that they were called for. However being forced to wear them for 8-16 hours a day at all times was a problem and there are at least 3 documented cases of injures caused by the boots.

Anyway great forum i stumbled upon

9. NYresq

NYresq

Yes, they are the 6006 model. A close friend is an FDNY paramedic and he loves them, but they are a big heavy clunky boot with an agressive sole. They originally issued them to just the medics assigned to the USAR teams, but then a little while later issued them to everyone in EMS. Great for climbing around in a pile of broken concrete, but overkill for standard EMS work.