Bad deal all around

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Tingle, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Tingle

Tingle

2. rookie1

rookie1

Wow, the newest guy was hired when I was. I wouldnt know what to think if I was in his shoes and almost to the end or probation. But when it comes down to it I would rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

3. merlynusn

merlynusn

The way I look at it is this...

Had they let him get away, he would have led them on a vehicle pursuit, probably wrecking, causing death or injury to the occupants of the vehicle and/or others.

Had they let him get into the car, he now has 3 hostages. Desperate men do desperate things and there would be a high likelihood of him killing or seriously injuring those inside the car.

Had they shot at him, they can risk the possibility of injuring someone in the car, but keep him out of it and stopping his threat.

You're pretty much in a Catch 22 situation. I think they made the right decision.

4. Gangrel

Gangrel

Granted, I was tired as heck when I read the article, but it didn't indicate if they even knew there were potential hostages in the car.

5. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

From the comments:
    :thumbsup:

Wish I had said it... This isn't the movies, there's not always a good option available. No telling what would have happened had they let him go. Could have been better or worse outcome, no way to tell ahead of time.

Prayers for all the injured...

Randy

6. dweer

dweer

What the hell was the crap of the "reporter" listing all the officer's records? I mean, holy crap, why didn't she just call them babykillers and get it over with? I can't believe garbage like that is allowed to see print.

7. CAcop

CAcop

Reporter and paper=******bags.

I'd be willing to bet their paper is going under and they are trying their best to muckrake to drive up circulation.

8. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Here's similar situation.... Guy takes his kid with him to rob a Radio Shack... :upeyes:

http://freep.com/article/20100402/NEWS06/100402078/1320/Man-robs-Radio-Shack-with-child-in-tow
    I'm sure he's just trying to steal enough money for a babysitter so he can make sure his kid is properly cared for during his next robberies.

But holy crap, do you risk a shootout with this guy with his kid in tow?
    Hate to be a guy responding to that call, gotta give you nightmares...

Randy

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  9. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

That would suck. You hate shooting the adult for fear of hitting the kid. Then, you hate shooting the adult in front of the kid. So, the next best thing is try to ID him, and find out where he lives, and then pick him up, knowing that there is going to be a firearm involved anyway, and maybe further firearms stowed at the house. It's a crappy deal.