Backyard Shooting is Bothering Neighbor(s): Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by light-switch, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I shoot my 10mm in the back field and shoot into the bench (a big hill) directly behind me - but 1/8th mile away. Needless to say, a 10mm G20.4 is LOUD and the echoes from the bench send the reports back to me in a few moments.

I hear neighbors firing shotguns, medium and small caliber stuff all the time... no-one complains.

We have real cowboys here and they aren't gonna let someone's shooting bother them. These "real cowboys" OTOH complain though about a 4" snow and in the summer they see the sun and start crying they're gonna burn up 'cause it's so hot.

Cowboys aren't what they used to be I guess but they seem to rather enjoy firearms and the noise they generate.

Ya oughtta be here on the 4th of July!

This afternoon (while I was in my front driveway torching out a front wheel hub on a Dodge 4wd for a neighbor) a party of 20-24 horseback riders came by and almost all of them were wearing a sidearm.

Where I live we have front yard bar-b-ques in the summer and we just fire up a portable unit and open the front fence gate and put up a sign inviting the neighbors in - I even make sure we have some bluegrass music for them if they wanna dance.
    Rule 1 --> BYOB and if you want something special, bring enough for everybody.​

Other nearest 6 or 8 neighbors started to reciprocate the same way and we rotate all around the 600 acres where I live for anyone who wants to get into the BBQ rotation.

OIC - that might be confusing - my property isn't 600 acres. That's the approx area of the neighborhood.

I'm going to bed now - there's a gun show at the fairgrounds that I want to get to EARLY:30 and I'm very tired of wrestling with that stupid MOPAR hub!

dbak, Wyoming, mc1911 and 2 others like this.
  2. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

If some neighbor called the police on a non violation, I would request from the police the know made the call. Which you did.

I would request the police report. May need to go to the sheriff office to get the report number at least.

I would then call and speak with the prosecuting attorney about that police call. Explain some anonomus neighbor made a false police report and was disturbing my peace by having the police come to my home.

Provide the police report number. If subsequently the neighbor continues with calling the police on this or any other non violation that is false, then make a complaint.

Prosecuting office could contact the neighbor and let them know they (the neighbor) would be filing a false report if they persist, do it again or escalate, start making other false police reports. I would not call or go to that neighbors home. You do not know for sure that they are the ones. Even though hinted by the officer.

You may have an unstable or duplicitous neighbor on your hands. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020

3. fg17

fg17

4. fg17

fg17

upload_2020-2-29_1-29-5.gif

Lowcountry_Glocker and medic2258 like this.
  5. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Well without disclosing details and the case happened years ago, that is how I successfully got some wack job neighbor to quit calling the cops on another innocent neighbor. None shooting related . False reports numerous over many years. Also false reports against other neighbors, all the the neigbors did nothing even when they had the sheriff called on them, for doing nothing totally false.

That neighbor was harassing the other elderly neighbor by calling in false reports.

I called introduced myself, and discussed the situation with the assistant prosecuting attorney.

Finally false police calls and harassment stopped when the prosecuting attorney office (after review of the multiple and numerous fasle reports) called the instigating neighbor (who made false reports) and informed them that they will be charged with filing false police reports if they persist.

This was a case of an unstable neighbor calling the sheriff on most everyone around them. some examples in the hall of shame , called the Sheriff Dept on the road commission for trespassing by grating the shoulder of the road in front of their property, public access. Another case , another trespasser, but actually was the township tax assessor inspecting their property and external buildings. Many more calls over a 10 yr period.. Got out of hand.

So that is how it works, sometimes.

I would not talk directly to the sneaky neighbor but instead take it up with the authorities.
    I would not put up with multiple false reports and have LE contact visit.

The reason to go to the prosecuting attorney is because the LE will attempt to smooth over. Bas behavior continues may be escalate.

The prosecutor makes the decisions so it is useless to complain to the LE officer.

Update I was talking with some of the other regular neighbors. The instigating wack job got banned from attending township meeting because they were disruptive.

So if you care to escalate the contact the neighbor directly. Good Luck.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  6. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

you ain't kidding. the calls here are endless!!! for people shooting. OK lady, nothing we can do... we have had one lady in this area demand that planes were flying too low, and it caused her dog to be afraid to go outside. right...

glock1097 likes this.
  7. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

When you’re doing all of this (walking over, buzzing doors, clapping, etc), I’m picturing Ned Flanders (“hi-diddly ho neighborino!”)

Seriously, I think you’re approaching this the right way. Best of luck and thanks for keeping us posted.

light-switch likes this.
  8. cbird77

cbird77

If your shooting 22LR and not breaking any laws, the hell with them, shoot away 10am to dusk. Don’t let anyone take your right from you.

We had a neighbor do the same, the only thing that happened was they stopped waving at us when passing each other on the road.

Kentucky Shooter, B C and mc1911 like this.
  9. rock_castle

rock_castle "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Some people just like to complain about something. When Denver built its airport it was ten miles from any development. That was 30 years ago and over time, the area near the airport has been developed. Now their are residential communities near there and some of the people who live there file noise complaints about the planes to the city. Holy crap....you bought a home near an airport and then you're going to complain about the noise??? Unbelievable.

10. mc1911

mc1911

On my parents farm about twenty years ago, I had a similar problem. My mother told the complaining neighbor that we have shot there for years and will continue to do so.

Someone built a house on some grouse habitat near by and did not like shooting. He said he would call the sheriff. He ended up moving.

OttoLoader and hogship like this.
  11. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

My neighbor calls the cops on any neighbor shooting off fireworks on the 4th of July (its legal here). We make sure to be polite and neighborly the remainder of the year but every 4th we still light off fireworks. Maybe I’ll invite them this year...

light-switch likes this.
  12. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

I would keep shooting during lawful hours and just forget the fella who doesn't like it. They will keep calling the cops and eventually the cops are going to say there's nothing we can do about it. Quit calling.

Nice guys finish last.

light-switch, glock1097 and Joshhtn like this.
  13. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Speaking from a free market perspective, you should ask what is it worth to not hear the shooting. He could opt to buy you surpressors, pay for sound abatement etc...

14. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I suspect most of the replies posted, have been from folks who are not LEO's and therefore have not had to deal professionally with such cases; These "Neighbor Disputes" even as seemingly innocuous as a Noise complaint, can become a Huge issue affecting the entire neighborhood, and can easily spiral out of control to become a legal/civil nightmare.
    I would caution you Not to speak with the complainant w/o first considering, either taking a friend ( witness) with you, and or recording the entire session...or even considering speaking with your family attorney First...I know, this seems extreme, especially to the group I first mentioned above, but take it from one who has seen these exact type cases end up in court, being litigated for thousands of dollars....if it were me, and in consideration of my experience, I would join a range and not ever shoot on my property...Capitulation?...yep, cowardice?..some might say...but discretion is always the better part of valor...good luck either way and keep us posted.

15. GWG19

GWG19

How can you handle it? You most probably can’t. Nearly any conversation would go bad.
    It is best to have the police explain to them that you are not breaking any laws.
    That you are shooting it to an appropriate back stop.

If you live on say two acres and have houses behind where you are shooting you might want to rethink it.

16. HJB

HJB Banned

Exactly the same type of thing at DFW airport, but they were smart enough that when they bought property for the airport, they bought so much land that the planes are still pretty high when the get over airport property so there is not so much complaining about the aircraft noise. Some complaining but not much.

17. HJB

HJB Banned

Wow, am I supposed to have a "family attorney" ? I never knew that !

18. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

When I worked at our local airport some of the calls amazed me.
    Our boss was a crop duster. We would get calls that a plane was buzzing a house. Yes ma'am you bought a house in the country on 5 acres surrounded by hundreds of acres of farm land. It's part of country living. It goes with sunsets and deer in your yard. I promise if you move to town you can't hear him. People move to the country but don't realize country life include those trying to make a living and those who enjoy the outdoors.

JohnnyE and FullClip like this.
  19. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Some of you aren't doing gun owners in general any favors. At least make an honest attempt to not create rabid antigunners.

Eddy Current and fg17 like this.
  20. NMG26

NMG26

Good luck, waiting to see how it goes.