close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Backwoods Skiers Help !

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dango, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dango

dango

I was just surfing the web and was looking to up-grade my back woods ski equipment and am speechless at the cost of the new "TELEMARK" style bindings .

Any body know where I might find some used stuff ? I got the skis ,just need bindings ! Help.......!:shocked:

2. dango

dango

For those of you who may not know what I'm talking about , It's not cross country or resort down hill but , Back wood powder ,
    virgin snow , fire trails , old gas well roads , logging roads or some times , right through the forest it's self.

The skis: They are similar to down hill but more flexible and made to carve rough terrain , ice snow etc. ! They have steel edges like down hills but also have strap on climbing skins or other devices for vertical climbing or level shuffling.

Does that help ? Like James T Kirk , to boldly go where others don't !.........Help !

PS: Anybody know what a helicopter turn is ? If you do , you know what I'm talking about !

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

3. dango

dango

Well , since I'm talking to myself , guess I remind myself !

Helicopter turn : I used to go out in the wilds for weeks at a time . Large capacity back pack and some times 100 lbs. .
    A helicopter turn is when you try to carve a sharp quick turn
    but , the weight of your pack decides to go straight .
    The helicopter turn consists of the pack draggin you with it and you go tumbling down the mountain with skis flapping like the blades of a helicopter , thus , "HELICOPTER TURN" . .....:supergrin:

Man , I am getting old . :shocked:

4. dango

dango

Ok , I give up , I'll do more research but thanks .

Happy New Years Fellow Glock-la-dites...........:supergrin:

5. Grumpy Gardener

Grumpy Gardener

Having had lived in the Tahoe Basin and Glenwood Springs areas I'd tell you your best bet is to call some of the consignment sporting goods stores there. If 3 pins what you're looking for most old schoolers run their gear through the consignment shops.
    They'll point you in the right direction.

gg.

6. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Ebay is your friend. Do you live near a ski town?? If so they have used/consignment shops a'plenty. Here in the postcard town of Bend you can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting one.

7. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

8. dango

dango

I live in the middle of absolutely no-where ! Not near anything , don't even have Mail service but do live where there are small mountains and surrounded by wilds everywhere ! Can't even order a pizza but , it's the way I love it !

To answer the other question on what kind of skis ?
    They are made by "TRUCKER" out of Colorado and the the model is "The Mountain Edge" . The skis are in great shape but the bindings are shot.

My wife had a t-shirt printed just for me , "Follow at Your Own Risk"
    That's what kind of skiing. Don't let my age fool you. Once a maniac
    all-ways a maniac....! Yeap , night or two in the wilds , why not ?
    No kiddie hill here !

9. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Duct tape.

10. dango

dango

^^ :rofl::rofl: I wish......! :supergrin:

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

I wish I lived more remote but this little town will have to do. I'm a knuckle-dragging snowboarder having surfed my whole live from 9-35 and now pushing 50 (three months away) I just go for big turns, a bit of backcountry and teaching beginners classes. All my boards (K2 El Durados with Klicker bindings) have 'Follow me to Certain Death' stickers.

Search EBay for what you need.

12. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

My dirt bike has one of the (old, uncool) "No Fear!" stickers on it.

Except, I took an Xacto knife and cut off the "No" part.

13. dango

dango

Men after my own heart , I love it ..........:supergrin:

14. FPS

FPS

15. Restless28

Restless28

You skiers should plan a trip to my town in December each year. Unclaimed Baggage is located here, and they have an annual ski sale.

If you don't know Unclaimed, they are the largest retailer of lost luggage and gear from the airlines.

The ski sale is epic. People come from all over the country to line up for a chance to buy some great gear.

16. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

fellow free-healer here. :wavey:

17. dango

dango

You know it is a sad thing that we , The adventures , adrenaline
    freaks can't even pass on our tales or knowledge because there are just to many non-believers ! I have always been pretty much met wit scrutiny or dis belief when just trying to tell the the tale.

Seems like the only one's I can even talk to are the people who truly know me , Oh well , I know how you feel !

When my day comes , they can all stand around a try to figure why I died with that ****-eating grin on my face ! :supergrin:

18. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

I just sold some telemark boots yesterday via Craigslist. They were like new, just didn't fit my big feet. The number of ski equipment listings on CL is huge, cruise to your hearts content.

We went for a short ski yesterday along the river outside our cabin. Good snow, blue skies, just beautiful. We're supposed to get some fresh snow today, even a couple inches would freshen the surface and make for perfect conditions. Today we're skiing up to the Brainard Lake area to look for White-tailed Ptarmigan....

19. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Get creative. You,obviously, have internet access. You should be able to find ski shops via the yellow pages. Check the towns/cities near ski areas. If the first shop doesn't have what you want, they will probably tell you who does.

I can't order a pizza, cops are 30 minutes away, nearest town is 30 miles - but I can get anything I want over the internet.

Fire up boy - with your attitude you'll fall on your skis and have to dial 911 to get back up! :wavey:

20. dango

dango

Right you are ! I started looking at new stuff and my jaw hit the floor . Fall on my skis ...? :supergrin: Anyone who falls on their face is a good thing ! Anyone who falls on their butt should reconsider ping pong !...:supergrin: You know ! Thanks
    and I'm at it between Posts .!

My life's motto : If it don't move , climb it, ski it or eat it ! :supergrin::supergrin:
    If it does move , sex it , drive it or kill it and eat it !

PS: 911 , what's that ?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012