close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Backwards Bullet

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JTknives, Mar 20, 2010.

1. JTknives

JTknives

I picked up some barre's boolits today because thy peaked my interest. thy are there .40 cal 155gr HBRD. thy look like a standard round nose but with a hallow base. I instantly though hum i wonder if i loaded them backwards and ended up with a super hallow point wad cutter :). I have done some reading and i guess that it was common practice to load boolits backwards back in like the 70s. what I'm wondering is if its safe, I'm not worried about blowing out the middle as that would be a problem even if it was right side up. but if i feeds it should be OK right. anything i should watch for? I did notice that i need to seat the boolit deeper so it will head space properly. I shoot 10mm so standard OAL is 1.25-1.26 but i have to seat it at around 1.17 or so. any ideas?

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

There is no problem what-so-ever with loading a HBWC upside down since the WC is designed to be loaded flush with the case mouth anyway... turning it upside down doesn't change the OAL, hence it doesn't change the pressure. (In the late '60's and 70's it was a favorite load for commercial pilots to potentially use in the cockpit. Back then there were no doors separating the passenger compartment from the cockpit, just a curtain, and it seemed like every other flight ended up in Cuba.)

Loading the bullet base up in a .40 or 10mm would necessitate seating the bullet deeper to keep an acceptable OAL which will increase your pressures... possibly to a dangerous level.

I'm really not sure what you would be accomplishing by doing it anyway... especially with all the quality hollow points that are already on the market.

Jack

3. fredj338

fredj338

Accuracy would likely be non existent. The bullet will tumble immediately on leaving the bbl. Good luck, my buddy can't get the 155grHBRN to shoot worth a crap in his P239 @ 1100fps. I told him to slow it down to 900fps or so & see if that helps. I think the "skirt" is blowing out w/ the higher pressure & ruining accuracy.

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

And here I thought it would be a discussion of the old British practice.

5. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

I have shot about 500 of the Barry's 155gr hbrn, and like them alot. I found them to be very accurate. One thing to keep in mind is the Hollow base effectively increases case volume. So a load that is safe loaded "normal" will be a lower pressure load than the same load loaded bullet upside down.
    Although I have no idea why you would want to load them upside down, I have found other hp plated bullets for similar cost as the hbrn. Just me, but I wouldn't do it. I think the accuracy would suffer, among other problems.

6. JTknives

JTknives

how hot where you loading them?

7. Biggest Dawg

Biggest Dawg

It was primarily .38 spl HBWC that were loaded HB up. When loaded HB down, as designed, the HB would obturate and completely fill the bore. Up Side Down gave a large HP effect and didn't change the actual base design as both were essentially flat.

My thoughts on a RNFB (dimpled base) upside down is that I would have concerns with the effects of the pressure on what is now a round pointed bullet base and how it would effect the pressure and the bullet leaving the ctg case. The pressure would not have a large solid point to act against, but just the pointed end of the bullet, with most of it on the sides of the bullet and the ctg case.

Might not be a problem, but I would not do it as the manufacturers make bullet bases flat for a reason, and I see no benefit in doing it.

BD

8. dudel

dudel

+1 HBWC are designed as slow target loads. Too much pressure and you blow a hole out of the projectile leaving a nice slug of lead for the next projectile to encounter. Way back when, I tried a few HBWC reversed. Not great results. You couldn't push them hard enough to make them a super HP, and when run at slower speeds, you didn't get the expansion you'd want in an HP.

Consider the design. The hollow base allows the skirt to obturate easily, and engage the rifling quickly and securely. Flip it around, and you loose much of the obturation ability and the ability to engage the rifling. Result is an inaccurate projectile.

Nope, they are designed to be used one way only. Used as designed, they make a fantasticly accurate light target load.