Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always been a 1911 guy. When I carried a full size 1911, I always carried two mags.

Now that the weather is getting better, I'm switching back to my G27 as my primary EDC. Usually, it's on my ankle with a Galco rig and GAP floorplates (backup to my 1911).

I may be reading to much into this but here is my question, if I decide to use my G27 as my primary EDC, what size backup magazines would you suggest carrying? When my 27 is on my ankle, I use the GAP floorplate. When I carry it on my waist from time to time, I use the +1 Pierce extension.

If by chance the SHTF and I have to empty my magazine and need another, would it be wiser to pick up a magazine that fits the same (grip wise) as the magazine I just emptied....or carry a G22 mag with a +2 extension for extra rounds?

I must admit, I shoot a tad bit better with the GAP floorplate installed, is this reason enough to pick up this mag and not the high cap? I know my hand position/grip will have to change when reaching for the high cap, and it's not something one would really want to have to worry about in a high stress situation.

If my backup mag is one with a GAP floorplate, I'm looking at about half as many rounds as I would with the G22+2mag when I reload. IMHO, I think I would like to have the mag with 17 rounds instead of 9. Your thoughts?

DH

·
Registered
14 Posts
I carry a G26 and my EDC and my two backup mags are both G17 with +2 Pierce extensions. I also keep two 33 and four 19 round mags in the car with my Kel-Tec SUB-2000 (part of bug out/SHTF bag).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I carry a G26 and my EDC and my two backup mags are both G17 with +2 Pierce extensions. I also keep two 33 and four 19 round mags in the car with my Kel-Tec SUB-2000 (part of bug out/SHTF bag).
When I carry my G29 my back up is a G20 mag FWIW

·
Registered
14,889 Posts
If you choose to carry extra mags they might as well be hi-cap. The small difference in length and weight will not be noticed.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I need to order some 17 round for my G17 since mine came with 10 rounds mags being I am in CA.
You might want to double check on the legallity of what you propose to do.

To the OP... I always use G17 mags as back up when I carry a 9mm Glock: G26, G19 or G17. Same with G21 mags and my G30SF.

·
Florist
20,806 Posts
If you carry your G27 in an ankle carry, then carrying a couple of spare G22 +2 mags on the other ankle should be no big deal.

·
Registered
591 Posts
In my opinion you should use a full sized 15 round magazine as a backup. If you feel you need a backup, you might as well have a full sized magazine. Just my opinion.

·
Don't Panic!!
893 Posts
When I carried a G26 in the past, with the GAP plates, I carried a 15rd G19 mag as a spare. I'd have gone bigger, but that was the biggest I could comfortably carry in my weak side pocket.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Appears that I'm in the minority on this, but I carry a 13rd. G23 magazine for back up. I don't use a + extension on my standard 9rd magazine, but I always carry my G27 with one the pipe. If I need more than 23rds.....:faint:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for feel consititcy, for that reason I would carry the same mag that is in your gun. It does not matter to me, I usally carry a 10 rd Mag in my G30 w/pearce grip ext and a 9rd as BU mag that sits flush against the reciever when inserted (more comfortable in BU mag holster). 19 Rounds total, I only put 8 in the 9rd mag. Its all a matter of what you are looking for......Take care,
G30

·
Registered
196 Posts
I carry a G30 and use the G21 mags for back up. I only use the smaller mag first in the pistol because it's easier to conceal. After that more rounds is better. Plus the longer mags are easier to reload under stress. also don't bother with the mag sleeves. You don't need them. The mags don't wobble and are still comfortable to grip. The sleeves just give something to pinch your finger when you reload or get caught up on your finger and slow the reloading process.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I set up a few outdoor targets (paper plates) in different places to simulate a combat-like scenario. I spread 4 targets out both high and low, close and far. Nothing more than 15 yards. Buddy of mine has a junk yard and he didn't mind me using one of the cars there to set my targets around. I wanted to use the car so I could fire behind cover at the targets and be able to move around while shooting.

Long story short, when it came time to switch mags quickly, I had the same results with both the carry mag and the high cap. The only obvious difference is the high cap gave me more rounds, 8 more to be exact (G22 mag+2).

Not much of a "test", but I had a BLAST doing it. So the high cap is now my official backup. :)

DH

·
Registered
3 Posts
once u add an extension and give your pinke a place to rest adding more lenth under that should be a non issue, The adaptor/fillers come with a set screw so if you slide it onto a 33 round mag and lock it down at the bottom of the grip your feel shouldent change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts