close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

backpacking with guns

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by C9X19, Nov 4, 2003.

1. C9X19

C9X19

If I were to go backpacking, what are the laws about carrying a pistol? I live in California.

2. gchuang

gchuang

It depends on where you backpack. National Parks I believe aren't cool with firearms, BLM doesn't mind, and National Forest I'm not sure. CA State Park doesn't like firearms either.

3. ECVMatt

ECVMatt

The best thing to do is check with the local ranger to be safe. They will usually try to discourage you from bringing a gun, but will give you an honest answer about where it is legal. I also write down the name of the ranger I spoke with and when I spoke with them. Having said that, I pack my gun all over forests in CA and have never had a problem.

Matt

4. Spartan24

Spartan24

Hate to say it guys, but... Damn! Move to a more friendly state! Up in Montana its just a given that your in the woods, that you are packing heat. I am not about to end up as a lunch for a mountain lion.

5. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    It's almost kinda funny that I seem to remember two signs at Pardee/Amador and the surrounding lakes: 1. no firearms, and 2. mountain lions may be here....

I think we should have several someone's fired for this.........

;c

6. FastDraw McGraw

FastDraw McGraw

I think you are right about National Parks. BLM and National Forests (at least the ones) I frequent have no problems with firearms. :cool:

7. Alsatian

Alsatian

Firearms are strictly prohibited in National Parks, I don't visit them anymore (Keep it/them cased and out of plain view) if you have the desire to enter one. Unfortunately, this does you no good if you find the need to use it. Glacier National Park up here in Montana is heaving with grizzlies, but nuts continue to hike/backpack and camp in the back country, not me!

Open carry is fine everywhere else here in MT! Unless you're going in a bar, bank or courthouse.

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Alsatian wrote:
    One of the few places I have as yet neglected to see, regrettably. I have to spend a good few months in Montana.

Speaking of open carry, however, I know of a few places where I hike occasionally in California where open carry is a norm, including local stores. Yes, it is a rural area; still, it flies in the face of the conventional wisdom about California and the gun customs here.

9. C9X19

C9X19

So would open carry(legal-wise)in the woods differ if I was in San Francisco?

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You mean in Golden Gate Park?

^8

11. FastDraw McGraw

FastDraw McGraw

12. Guest

I have done backpacking in California, I carried a .44 mag revolver at all times in my backpack. I have never had to use it, so no park rangers have ever seen it.

However, while backpacking in New Mexico, a cougar came a little to close, so I shot him. (with my girlfriend and her two little siblings with us, I was taking NO chances). I called hte Park Ranger on my cell phone, he came out, looked it over, and since it was technically illegal to carry a gun, he just said "Dont worry about it" and left. And that was that. I think as long as you dont use it for plinking or anything you will be allright.

13. FastDraw McGraw

FastDraw McGraw

It's good to hear some of our Federal employees have some good common sense. BTW, did you shoot the cougar with your .44 Mag? thanks....:)

14. hutch24

hutch24

Same way here in Alaska. People who hike and camp here without a firearm are also known as bear bait. ;P

15. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

My suggestion: Don't ask, don't tell.

I generally follow Cali law. You may have a gun in your home (which includes your motel/hotel/campsite) I generally pack a gun as I would transport a gun in my vehicle. If the gun is unloaded and inside a locked case, then I am legally transporting the gun to my campsite. Actually I keep it loaded, but if you had a bag with a "lock" on it, you could claim that you carry the gun unloaded in the locked bag. IIRC if you are fishing, Cali law says you may carry a loaded handgun. Would have to search the code to find it, I have not been in a position to claim that law, so I don't know it chapter & verse.

16. Alaskan

Alaskan

In Alaska my wife and I carry all the time especially in the wild. Alaska is a right to carry state, no permit required for concealment. But as far as in the woods, Alaska never required a permit (including walking trails.) How's the Governator doing down there in California?

17. C9X19

C9X19

Arnie hasnt done anything about the gun issues. I wish he would.