close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Backpacking/Survival Stove

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by -, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Guest

Well, Thanks for the help on the water filter. I have the hiker pur filter on the way. Now I have seen lots and lots of stoves and I am narrowing it down somewhat. I like the MSR whisper lite but I am concerned about mechanical failure in the field. There is another canister type from MSR that is a possibility. I am concerned with fuel storage and availability mainly, it seems the canister stoves do not have reusable fuel cans. Let me know what you guys use.

thanks for looking.
    JC

2. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

The whisperlite is excellent. For fuel, just buy sig bottles. They come in various sizes from about 10 up to 32 ounces. I have used one for years and prefer it over whatever else I have seen in the field.

3. etnlead77

etnlead77

MSR makes the finest backpacking stoves. I have their shaker jet stove with the 22oz fuel bottle and have been perfectly happy with it.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i use a canister stove most of the time on short hikes. on long extended hikes the liquid fuel stoves are sometimes better because they can burn almost anything. but they are a PITA to use compared to the canister stoves.

i've tried a whole slew of the canister stoves and my favorite and one i currently use is the MSR pocket rocket. it's super small, light, surprisingly sturdy and boils water like nobody's business. it looks like a pot would just fall right off in a light breeze but it is actually more stable than the MSR superfly or Primus yellowstone. it has the shiled right on the flame so no matter where the wind is coming from you get at least 2/3's output. not so good for cooking on, but great for boiling water for dehydrated meals or coffee.

i've only tried two liquid fuel stoves. the primus himilaya and optimus nova. if you're going to go this route skip the cheap ones and just get the optimus. for one thing it runs on just about any liquid gas. even jet fuel and diesel. this is key on extended trips because you never know what type of supplies you'll be able to get.

if you're not planning on doing any sort of extended hiking, just forget the liquid fuel stoves. they cost much more, are harder to use, and not necessary. on the extended trips i've taken i've just had people mail "care packages" to local post offices with the white gas canisters and other goodies. of course we had a liquid stove as a backup in case we missed our drop, but never needed it. if you're just boiling 2 cups of water for each meal a canister of white gas will last a good long time.

5. Guest

Check out the Apex II from coleman. Backpacker magazine always gives it a high rating. It simmers and it never fails to work. Many of the more expensive stoves don't simmer, check into it. I use mine on two-three trips a year for about six years and have never had to use any spare parts in the kit. All of the other stoves mentioned are great stoves also, but this is a bargain.

6. Guest

Justacop, if no ones mentioned it, check out Campmor.com. They have lots of great deals on the stuff you need.

7. Guest

Thanks for the input guys. Went to the LL BEAN store here on the way to driving the wife to work and scored my B-day gift. She bought me a whisperlite internationale ;f ;f Man that is a great store. It burns white fuel, kerosene, gasoline(sp), and jet fuel.
    ;x ;x

8. JohnDog

JohnDog Millennium Member

Justacop, MSR used to sell a maintenace kit to go along with the stove, lots of little parts for the stove and the pump. Good to have in your kit when you're a few miles from the trailhead and it's dinnertime.

Have fun - JohnDog

9. Guest

If you want a liquid fuel stove that will burn just about anything, try the MSR whisperlite international. Great stove, but it doesnt simmer very well.
    Robert

10. EricTheRed

EricTheRed

I have an MSR Dragonfly that I really like, well, I really like the stove anyways. The pump is a complete piece of garbage, and broke the very first time I used it. After talking to some other people, it seems everyone is having problems with the pumps breaking. It seems like they have switched to a new type of pump for the Dragonfly's that I'm seeing on the shelves now. The pump for the whisper stove you bought looks to be very similar to the dragonfly pump I have though, so, be careful with it.

I managed to exchange my old pump for another one, it broke too, but not in a place that really mattered for operation. Maybe I'll see if I can get them to give me one of the new pump models. AH well.. :(

11. Guest

Yeah I think the pump can be a problem, Had some trouble with mine at first but workinf fine now. Just had to figure out how to maintain it and adjust the leather seal.

Anyone know a good place to get Mountainhouse food cheap?

12. Guest

Unwanted flashback... scrolling on.

Backcountry

13. WFR

WFR

The MSR Whisperlites have been around for over 15 years now and they are solid performers. You will not be disappointed.
    I have a "pre-shakerjet" Whisperlite that is 7 years old and I just rebuilt it last summer. 2 beer and 25 minutes later it was like brand new. Rebuild/maintenance kit was $10 or 11.

There is a way to get an MSR to "simmer"
    1)Light the stove and get it hot.
    2)Turn fuel knob completely OFF and let burn out.
    3)Turn entire unit (stove and fuel bottle) upside down on a flat non flammable surface.
    4)Open fuel knob and leave it open until all the pressure escapes. It will stop hissing.
    5)Turn fuel knob off.
    6)Turn unit over.
    7)Place match over burner and turn on fuel knob.
    8)It will now run off vacuum.
    9)Occassionally pump one or two strokes to keep it going.

Another side note, In very cold weather be careful when pumping up the canister. If you let your fingers slip off and the plunger slips back forceably under pressure you can crack the plunger housing. I've seen this happen twice!

Good luck with the PUR and MSR.

14. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

that's what i use except I use the 11oz bottle for short trips into the backcountry.

15. Guest

do a search for the sierra or zipp stove...had one for many years, burns almost any flammable organic solid fuel...