close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Backpacking/Camping in Maine?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Tao, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Tao

Tao

Will be in Acadia for a week in September, but would like to spend a couple of days backpacking after that. Does anyone know a good place within a few hours drive of Acadia?

Don't have much time, and can't spend a day driving. We will be flying out of Bangor after that. Any suggestions?

2. WFR

WFR

Baxter State Park!
    I did both Acadia and Baxter last year.
    VERY remote and very wild! No phones, no electricity, no showers and trying to summit Mt. Katahdin going up Abol Ridge kicked my butt!
    I wan to go back bad!

3. Tao

Tao

Couldn't get a backcountry permit for Baxter, sites are full. How far a drive from Acadia is Baxter? It seems like it is quite a way.

4. hcook

hcook

Tao, depending on how you go, it's somewhere around 180 miles from Acadia to Baxter. Given the roads and speed limits, you're looking at 4 - 4.5 hours one way. It should be beautiful in Sept. If you're not already aware, make sure to take some warm clothes just in case. I hope you enjoy your trip.

WFR, if you want remote you need to go check out the Allagash Waterway. That'll make Baxter feel like the 'burbs. ;f

Many (20+) years ago, my friends dad owned Togue Pond Campgrounds and I spent some really enjoyable times there. (RIP, Brad P.)

I've never hiked Abol, but have done Helon Taylor, Knife Edge, Chimney Pond, and Cathedral, and Saddle. The last time I hiked to the summit it was clear and sunny up until just past the tree line. By the time we reached the summit it was cold and raining, and the wind was blowing the rain horizontally. I was very glad for my dry clothes when we got back down.

5. Tao

Tao

Thanks, I was able to get a campsite just outside of Baxter and am looking forward to seeing that part of the country.

Recently spent a week in the Ansel Adams Wilderness in the Sierra Nevadas - sunny in the 80's at the start of a hike, hail and rain on the way to a summit, riding snow patches above the tree line (11,000 ft). I assume Maine in September could be any and all of that.

I'll check out Allagash - sound like my kind of palce.

6. WFR

WFR

So tell me more about Allagash Waterway!