close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Backing up to external Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ragin Cajun, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Just broke down and bought a Seagate 160G external HD for $90.

What's the best program to do a complete back-up including the registry, etc. such that if my main drive goes all I have to do is reload the new one from the external HD.

I plan on keeping the external HD OFF, unplugged from both USB AND power except for back-ups. Likely keep the physical HD in a "safe" place.

I run a one man engineering business and loss of data would be the kiss of death. I already do back-ups to DVD's with incremental saves to CD or even DVD and keep them in a safe place. My back-up practices have saved me several times. Back in the days of tape back-up I had a HD failure two days after doing a complete back-up and an incremental BU the same day. Didn't loose ANYthing! Being paranoid has its advantages! My main HD's are two 120G's in a raid mirroring configuration. Data integrity is critical! Due to business security issues, amoung others, saving "on-line" is a no-no.

Thanks!!!

RC

2. prism

prism more ammo

if it would really be a disaster, then go ahead and buy a second 160 gig external drive. (two separate portable backups) leave one offsite at all times.

maybe use an old pc to actually restore the backups ocassionally, to prove the backups work properly.

I was reading a review of Acronis backup software last night. Sounded good, but I have not tried it.

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

you really need RAID (not level 0, more like RAID 1). All you'd need to buy is a RAID card since you already have 2 hard drives.

for the time being, i believe XP has a backup utility that does exactly what you're looking for.

start -> programs ->accessories -> sytem tools -> backup.

i think that does it.

edit: choose "all information on this computer" when backing up.

another option is to buy something like Norton Ghost to copy your hard drive to another hard drive.

4. pyblood

pyblood

I think that Acronis True Image may be your best option. In case of hardware failure you can have your system back up and going in no time. All you need to do is use their bootable CD, hook up the external HD, and restore to the new HD. You can download a trial from their website and give it a try.

http://www.acronis.com/

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If you slave in a WD hard drive and run the Data Lifeguard apps, you can Clone your partition onto a new HDD.

In your case, I'd have two hotswappable spares for a minimum--and at least two identical drives still in their boxes.

Then, if one drive fails, the first order of business is to slave a new drive in and repeat the process to create another bootable spare. Then go buy another identical HDD to replace the one you unwrapped.

ALWAYS have spare data on hand and off-site! Backup, backup, backup is the order of the day.

Best of all, these are swappable, bootable drives that will be identical to the one your OS currently resides on.

This is not a good place to use an external HDD, except for files that you change a lot.

External HDD = for works in progress.

Internal HDD spares = for everything else.

6. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

I presently have Raid 1, mirroring hard drives, 120G each with hardware controller. System is a Dell, about two years old.

Win XP Promise FastTrak S150 TX2 controller. and a Promise 1X2 Mirror/Raid1 SCSI Disk Device.
    IDE Controller is Intel 8280EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers.

The above is from Dell.

I really need to run a printout from the machine tonight.

I remembered that I have PCBackup already.

Perhaps I need to but a second 160G external for swapping around? $89 at the store (Best Buy) is a deal. No rebates, includes "instant rebate" of $40.

I have been making total back-ups using DVD’s, takes about 4 or so, I forget. Keep them in a "safe" place.

I operate only off the internal Raid 1 drives. The external is for back-up purposes only.

THANKS!

RC

7. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Symantec Ghosy may work well for you.

8. huaco

huaco

I bought something similar to back up my home system. Turns out it's formatted fat32 and won't handle the large files produced by a Windows backup of everything so I use xxcopy with the /clone switch. I do a backup occasionally and keep the drive in my gunsafe. You can get a lot more sophisticated than this but I'm comfortable with it. One of these days hopefully I'll move beyond W98 for my home system and reformat that sucker.