back up suggestions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc

Want (need) to back-up. What would be the best suggestion (equipment) for saving files and a rather extensive music library?

2. pyblood

pyblood

It depends on how much data you need to back up and why you are backing them up. If you are backing them up in case your OS gets corrupted, I would recommend get a second HD. HD prices are pretty cheap now. Price depends on HD size.

If you are backing up in case of a hardware failure, I would recommend buying a DVD burner and a few DVD rewritable discs. A DVD will hold a little over 4GB or data. A burner is about $50-$60, and the discs would be a few dollars.

3. Romadoc

Romadoc

I'm currently running 2 hard discs in my tower...a 20 gig and an 80 gig. The 80 gig disc holds only my music. Would it be feasible or possible to also use that as a back-up? I must have at least 40 gigs of free space available.

4. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

It's handy to buy an external firewire drive to backup to. They aren't too expensive for the size you need and it's easily portable to other machines if you want to. Get a firewire card if your computer doesn't have one. It's better than USB1.1 or 2.0 for connecting hard drives.