Back surgery

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lucnik, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Lucnik

Lucnik

I’ve already had spinal injections. No help at all. Have a bulging disc, arthritic cyst, and arthritis all in lower lumbar. Now have an appointment with a good surgeon. Any GT members had anything similar? Any info appreciated.

2. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I have a bulging disk(s) -Lower back. I have had shots but exhausting every remedy known to man before surgery.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Sharkey likes this.

3. jgeng

jgeng

I had a herniated disc at L4/L5 (lower back) and had to have surgery back in 1988. I was in terrible pain prior to the surgery, woke up after surgery and the pain was gone, but I did have some nerve damage from where the disc was on the nerve.

4. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

No back problems here but I’ll add you to the growing list of GT’ers I have on my prayer list

NJ1911, Sharkey and tallTexasdude like this.
  5. Scott1970

Scott1970

I had severe back pain and leg for nine months prior to having lumbar discectomy surgery in 2012. I woke up in recovery completely pain free. Nothing else had worked, and it got so bad the relieved me of duty and sent me home. So, surgery it was.

I've since dropped about seventy pounds which I've kept off. I avoid processed foods, carbs and grains which do absolute wonders for eliminating inflammation in my lower back and joints. And I do yoga for maintenance. I wear twenty-five pounds of gear at work with zero issues now. It's made me a new man.

Good luck in your decision, and I hope you get well.

flyover, varget, Valmet and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lucnik

Lucnik

I’m at my wits end. Taking 4 extra strength Tylenol, 2 Aleve, 1 tramadol, 2 BC powders and prednisone everyday just to be able to work.

7. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Triple fusion L4L5S1 laminectomy, I had 2 ruptured discs and 3 bulging discs. He shaved a bit on the 3. Sadly, the 2 surgeries did nothing for the pain.

554C224D-A206-4FE9-94D7-43ABDB5396CA.jpeg

9259D080-8C0A-4290-AAAE-E33548018EDC.jpeg

6954342D-3D90-47AB-A1AD-7C76850B5983.jpeg

3B5E117F-0E4F-4CBA-9F77-35C4DEB101DB.jpeg

flyover, Current Resident and Joshhtn like this.
  8. DaleGribble

DaleGribble FullClip CANT BREATHE!!!!!

I've been dealing with a bulging disc between L4/L5 for most of the year. Chiropractic is helping immensely and has me almost completely pain-free.

It's been worse than kidney stones a few times.

rugercat78 and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  9. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Two bulging discs and bone spurs on my spine.

Put off surgery for a year and was taking enough pills to kill a junky.

Surgery was my answer and immediate relief.

I wish you the best.

rugercat78 and flyover like this.
  10. Bud0505

Bud0505

I had discectomy/laminectomy on L3/4/5. Operation was at one o’clock on Thursday. They had me walking the halls around seven that night and nine the next morning the Dr came in said He was discharging me. I had tried everything, decompression, lumbar shots, tons of pain pills to avoid surgery. Wish I would have had the surgery first because it would have saved me several years of pain. BTW they glued me back together, no staples.

pittpa likes this.
  11. jonb32248

jonb32248

I had a ruptured disc and have nerve damage to my back and that put me out of work back in '13. It happened at work and was on Workmans Comp for two yrs before settlement. All the stories here of surgery failures is exactly why I turned down shots and a hot knife. Back surgeon told me I could do shots or the knife or do what was working and I chose chiropractic. I understand not everyone can do it for individual cases but it definitely worked for me. No pain in my back. I was going every two weeks up until covid then stopped.I've decided to stop now due to no symptoms or pain.

Current Resident likes this.
  12. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    In my 29 years of handling auto accident claims I saw literally hundreds of spine surgeries in the records. I can’t really remember many complications from the surgeries. The worst outcomes seemed to be lack of improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Riverpilot

Riverpilot

I had back pain on and off for 10 years. Exercises, meds, stretching etc...
    Finally got to the point where nothing, and I mean nothing, worked. The only position that I could handle was flat. If I tried to stand, sit, the stabbing pain that started in my lower back down my leg was excruciating.

Ended up having microdiscectomy and laminectomy at my L4-L5 to S1.
    Went in at 6:00a.m, surgery at 07:30a.m, out of surgery in my room by 09:00.
    Discomfort, but was up and walking (with a pretty nurse at my side) by 1:00p.m. Went home at 5:00p.m that same day.

I ended up having nerve damage that affects both of my feet and arthritis from waiting so long to do surgery. Looking back at it, I would have most likely done surgery sooner if I had known the way things were going to turn out.

My advice. Get at least 2 doctors opinions. Ask questions. Ask about new procedures, etc..
    Get a good physical therapist when you're out. This is as important as the person doing your surgery. The therapist is going to help you immensely. They should tell you how to properly get in and out of a car. This by itself made a huge difference for me.

Do your exercises. Doesn't matter if you don't feel like it, or if you feel good down the road. Keep doing your exercises.

Replace any low toilets with higher toilets. Yes, it may only be a few inches in height, but it makes a BIG difference. Arrange everything before you go in for surgery. If you want to change furniture around, etc... Make sure you have somebody to look in on you frequently once you get home, and are able to drive you to and from physical therapy appointments.

There is a great site, spine-health.com, that has information and a great support system/forums from people who have gone through it all.

BarryR likes this.
  14. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

You all have my sympathy. Back pain, rather the lack of it, is something taken for granted by most people.

15. Lucnik

Lucnik

Thanks for all the info! Old age ain’t for sissies! You gotta be tough to be old.

flyover and Fatboy2001 like this.
  16. Current Resident

Current Resident

Per my doctor and people I have met, be very cautious because the hospitals are breeding grounds for INFECTIONS. I met some people that confirmed this, I thought the doctor was BSing me and didn't want to schedule me for surgery.

I broke my back in 2006, 10 months of PT.

Have you done any PT?

My favorite part of PT was lay on the 600mm ball and stretch out the lower back.

What does your doctor want you to do?

17. Sharkey

Sharkey

Slight bulging disc between L4 and L5. Went to a surgeon for a consult and he said nope. He says my pain was nowhere near what he sees. I did a regimen of PT, changed up my gym workout and started a stretching regimen. I get an "episode" (as he called it) about once a year now. Hoping I never have to have surgery. Make sure he is a good surgeon and maybe get a second opinion. I have a buddy on disability now because of a crappy surgeon.

18. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

L3-4-5 fusion here. This thread has good advice; the raised commode is an excellent idea. Sometimes a spacer can be used and you won’t have to purchase a new toilet.

In general, hold off surgery until the doc says “AHA!” when viewing the MRI. “Hmmm, I think maybe ...” isn’t good enough. A couple of you didn’t get relief and this is often part of the reason.

Neurosurgeons are preferred over orthopods, but go with the best doc in your area of either specialty.

19. Kc.38

Kc.38

My back Dr. told me that shots seldom work so he was not surprised shots did not work for me. I asked him why he gives them and he replied the insurance companies require it before surgery is considered. I had a series of shots years ago as I refused to have surgery. When the shots did nothing I lived in pain for years being afraid of surgery. So, as my insurance company is thinking that the shots must have worked as they never heard from me again. As an old man I decided I could not live that way anymore and had a Laminectomy. Best choice of my life. Now as a 70 year old man I can walk several miles without stopping but at 65 I couldn't walk 100 yds without having to stop and sit down.

20. flyover

flyover

Damn, I will probably be looking at surgery some time in the future. Bulged discs, arthritis and stenosis is not a good combination.

OP, best of luck to you.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.