close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back in the saddle! Surveying again

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by chickenwing, May 30, 2012.

1. chickenwing

chickenwing

Just want to vent some happiness. :supergrin:

Got a full time job surveying again! Started last week. First day, waist deep in Tomoka river locating wetlands. :cool:

2. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Congratulations

Sounds like you're having fun. Best of luck at the new job.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

4. chickenwing

chickenwing

I am. Thank you!

5. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

Great news for you ! I am happy for you and hope it works out just fine. Congrats..

6. chickenwing

chickenwing

Thank you.

Great avatars BTW.

7. chickenwing

chickenwing

Awesome! :supergrin: A fellow MOPAR fan. Some of the money from this job will go into finishing the mods on my RT.

Thanks everyone.

Been working two part times and going to school. I'm elated I've cut it down to one full time job in something I have ground up experience in.

8. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

We are everywhere !!:supergrin: I really do own a '69 Charger R/T with an original Hemi ! What kind of mods are you doing to your R/T and is it a Coronet or Charger ?

Just curious and congrats again on your new job. I can tell you are very happy to be there.

9. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Congrats man!! When we got our land surveyed in 2010, I was chatting up the lead surveyor. They had to cut through about a quarter mile of hedge to survey the back side. I told the guy that I was sure he hated having to survey wooded land like this.

He said it was a gravy job compared to some others. "Some others" being surveying swamps/wetlands.

10. chickenwing

chickenwing

Yes we are. :supergrin: Grandpa started the trend owning mopar's. Been generational ever since.

Awesome, I'm enviousness!

:embarassed: My R/T is a truck, a 99 regular cab 5.9 Dakota R/T. It's running mid 12's with bolt-on's, 100 shot and drag radials. I'd sacrifice a body part for a hemi though!

11. chickenwing

chickenwing

Every location has its hardships.

Up north you have to dig through ice, snow and rock. Sometimes look out for wildlife like bears.

Florida its swamps, snakes, and gators.

It can be a difficult job. I've cut miles through crap most people wouldn't even get near.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  12. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

Well, I did not think about the Dakota R/T . My bad and congrats on a fast ride. I had a friend that owned a Dakota 5.9 R/T and it was a very nice ride.

I am probably old enough to be your Grandfather too and remember riding in these old MOPARS (late '60's) when they were NEW! I got my Charger way back in 1976 from a friend of my brother's for a song and I am in the process of finishing up a total restoration. Engine was professionally rebuilt and dynoed out at 588HP at 6500rpms. It should be a mid to low 11 second ride when finished ! Lotsa fun !!

[​IMG]

13. chickenwing

chickenwing

Its great off the line, hits a good 60ft and 1/8 time, but around a 100 mph it goes flat, have to fix that.

Man, pure sweetness! Very clean looking engine, I bet it will haul ass like a stabbed rat.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  14. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Did it for almost 4 years. Was a Crew Chief of a 3-man team for about 1.5 of those. Spent many 'a summers in swamps. On larger jobs, we'd have a guy on point w/ a pistol-gripped Mossberg 500 on "snake patrol" when mapping creeks. My personal best is 21 cotton mouths in one summer. Methods were Glock 23, bush axe, and Mossberg.

Sometimes I miss it. Sometimes I don't. :whistling:

15. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

If you are running mid-12's with your truck and it still seems to flatten out at about 100mph, you just need to add more horsepower! Ha !

Actually, even with your NOS 100 shot, a late'90's , basically stock 5.9 is a little short on horsepower to go much faster or quicker than you have it now. Mid-12's is a very respectable time as most people do not know how fast that really is as it will scare most people!

If you have a good 60ft. time (1.6 or better) and a good 1/8th time, the engine is just a little short on horsepower to go much faster. My brother was an old motorcycle dragracer and spent many a Sunday at the track and always said "Torque is ET and horsepower is speed" and I have found that to be true in almost every case.

16. chickenwing

chickenwing

Not sure if serious. Never heard of a survey crew allowed to carry unless in bear country.

But what goes on in the field, usually stays in the field.

However, I've come across cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, and coral snakes to the point I have a hard time keeping count. Never had to use a point man with a shotgun to protect the crew from snakes though. And I've been in the deepest, darkest parts of Florida.

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

Congrats and good luck with the new job my friend:thumbsup:

18. chickenwing

chickenwing

I'm working on that. Just have to decide to go with another power adder like a super-charger and internal work on the 360, or go with a crate motor.

I'm hitting 1.7 60ft times, and the 8th at 8.05ET trapping at 85mph, 1/4 12.55 at 106mph with just the 100 shot. 125 forget about it, I'm lucky to run low 13's.

It has decent HP 245, and loads of torque 350lbs stock. The problem is getting it to stick. 325/50/R15 drag radials worked with the 100 shot great, but anymore, even running a 125 HP shot hurt my ET, despite the faster mph.

It does need more HP though, and a different trans setup or a whole new trans altogether to eliminate the flat third gear.

I've tried a couple different gear, tire size, and NOS combinations, 12.55 is the best I could do on fresh 325/50/R15 and 400 HP, anything more too much tire spin, and taller gears and tires killed my ET's.

I need traction first, then I'll need more power, as in MOPAR! :supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  19. chickenwing

chickenwing

Thanks Okie! I'm gonna mail you some taco bell for the positive vibes!