Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all...I purchased new reloading equipment and components in October, 2019 and just recently started using the press with any consistency. I reloaded approx. 10 years ago on a Lee Classic Turret press. I loved that little Lee and loaded 1000s of rounds on it before selling off all of my equipment.

Well...I decided I wanted to get back into it and load faster that I could before. I started comparing red and blue presses and went with the Hornady LNL AP press. I chose it for several reasons over the Dillion. The biggest reason was it was available semi locally at a gun shop 80 miles from my house that I have done lots of business with in the past. That shop also offers a 10% LE discount on everything I purchased. The press, dies, components, etc. I also liked the "free bullets" promotion Hornady offers. (I put that in quotes because I still had to pay S&H).

Since October, I have purchased more components and more die sets. I was concerned about jumping into a progressive after such a long break. The installation and learning curve was not difficult, but time consuming. I had to learn how to operate the press safely and fine tune all of the equipment the entire time I was learning.

I would recommend going this route to anybody who has good attention to detail, and does not mind taking their time to learn new things.

All in all, I couldn't be happier and just finished a run of 200 rounds of 9MM. I am currently loading for 6 calibers . I would recommend anybody who buys into the Hornady system to buy enough LNL bushings for each individual die you have . That costs more money but makes caliber swaps quick and easy.

Reactions: TGT and DubfromGA

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I still use a Lee Classic Turret, but I think the Hornady LNL is a fine press. Good luck with your progressive. I think you'll enjoy being back in the reloading game.

Dave

·
Registered
36,239 Posts
The Hornady is not a bad press, I recommend them if guys never want a case feeder. If you are going case feeder, just go Dillon. About $100 more all in & way less tinkering. Glad to see you back at it. In some states like Kalif, its the only sane way to shoot because buying ammo has become a chore with the Statsi like policy of the Govt here.

·
NRA Life Member
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Hornady is not a bad press, I recommend them if guys never want a case feeder. If you are going case feeder, just go Dillon. About $100 more all in & way less tinkering. Glad to see you back at it. In some states like Kalif, its the only sane way to shoot because buying ammo has become a chore with the Statsi like policy of the Govt here.
I cannot imagine dealing with liberal BS like the folks in CA do. But yeah. I dont anticipate ever using a case or bullet feeder. The most I load at a time is usually just 200-300 rounds. I dont mind placing a case and bullet every time. It helps slow me down and keeps me focused on everything that is going on. But I definitely see the advantages if you're loading for competition shooting or something like that.

·
Registered
36,239 Posts
I cannot imagine dealing with liberal BS like the folks in CA do. But yeah. I dont anticipate ever using a case or bullet feeder. The most I load at a time is usually just 200-300 rounds. I dont mind placing a case and bullet every time. It helps slow me down and keeps me focused on everything that is going on. But I definitely see the advantages if you're loading for competition shooting or something like that.
The LNL is more user friendly than a 650/750 w/o a case feeder, imo. Even on my 650 I rarely load more than 300rds a sitting, but that is only 30m going slow.

·
Consummate Reloader
1,401 Posts
Your timing was great. If you had waited much longer it would have been tough to get back in the game.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Encouraging to see other folks get back to reloading.

I’m in that same boat, now, too.

Sounds like you had a well thought out plan and your gear mates up nicely for your needs. Excellent.

You ain’t kiddin’ about those Hornady bushings, either. A buddy converted his RCBS RC ss to use them and he can batch out ammo at a damn impressive rate. Everything stays set. I respect their design.

What are the 6 cartridges you are loading for ?

·
NRA Life Member
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Encouraging to see other folks get back to reloading.

I’m in that same boat, now, too.

Sounds like you had a well thought out plan and your gear mates up nicely for your needs. Excellent.

You ain’t kiddin’ about those Hornady bushings, either. A buddy converted his RCBS RC ss to use them and he can batch out ammo at a damn impressive rate. Everything stays set. I respect their design.

What are the 6 cartridges you are loading for ?
I like the bushing system and lock rings on the Hornady dies a lot. Their customer service has been outstanding so far as well. I load for 9, 45, 44 mag, 38 spl, 223, and 300blk. The 44 and 38 loads are both for revolvers, so I bought 1,000 lead SWC for each of those from a guy local to where I grew up.

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
Registered
36,239 Posts
I know many like the bushgs that LNL uses but I have seen them come loose. One thing I prefer with the dillon, easy/fast die change, just pull two pins & remove the tool head. Plus it never gets loose.

·
Registered
36,239 Posts
I like the bushing system and lock rings on the Hornady dies a lot. Their customer service has been outstanding so far as well. I load for 9, 45, 44 mag, 38 spl, 223, and 300blk. The 44 and 38 loads are both for revolvers, so I bought 1,000 lead SWC for each of those from a guy local to where I grew up.
Before you start putting lead bullet loads together, mic the bullets & check the cyl throat sizes by trying to push the bullets thru. If it is tight, your lead bullets may lead the bore early. I assume 0.358" for the 357mag & at least 0.431" for the 44mag.

·
NRA Life Member
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before you start putting lead bullet loads together, mic the bullets & check the cyl throat sizes by trying to push the bullets thru. If it is tight, your lead bullets may lead the bore early. I assume 0.358" for the 357mag & at least 0.431" for the 44mag.
I am new to lead bullet loads. So I understand what you're saying...do you mean I should push several bullets through each of the cylinder holes in the revolvers they will be fired from? If so should there be any resistance at all or should they pass through each cylinder hole freely? Sorry for the newb questions but like I said...I have only ever loaded jacketed and plated bullets in the past.

·
NRA Life Member
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know many like the bushgs that LNL uses but I have seen them come loose. One thing I prefer with the dillon, easy/fast die change, just pull two pins & remove the tool head. Plus it never gets loose.
Do you also have a dedicated powder measure for each tool head? Or do you swap one or two of them amongst everything?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I am new to lead bullet loads. So I understand what you're saying...do you mean I should push several bullets through each of the cylinder holes in the revolvers they will be fired from? If so should there be any resistance at all or should they pass through each cylinder hole freely? Sorry for the newb questions but like I said...I have only ever loaded jacketed and plated bullets in the past.
They will be a snug fit, but can pass through by pushing them.

Ideally cylinder diameter will be the same or a touch wider than the bullet diameter. This is so that it doesn't size the bullet down. Then the bullet should be 1-2 thousandths > groove diameter for good fit.

·
NRA Life Member
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They will be a snug fit, but can pass through by pushing them.

Ideally cylinder diameter will be the same or a touch wider than the bullet diameter. This is so that it doesn't size the bullet down. Then the bullet should be 1-2 thousandths > groove diameter for good fit.
Got it. That makes sense. Thanks to both you and Fred.

·
NRA Life Member
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The LCT is such a good little press. Like I said, I dont know how many rounds I loaded on mine, but it was a lot. I can tell you this though...after going progressive, I won't go back. I could add the case and bullet feeders to make it even faster but those two add ons don't really interest me. I know they sure would speed up production however.

Reactions: fredj338

·
299 Posts
Good time to get back in.

I've dusted off the lid of my 9mm reloading dies after buying factory ammo around the same price it takes to load in 2018 and 2019. Last year even bought a case of CCI 147gr loaded for $150 something shipped.

Now I have bullets coming in the mail and restocking my powders on the bench in hopes of not touching my backup stash.

·
Registered
36,239 Posts
Got it. That makes sense. Thanks to both you and Fred.
Pin gages or id mic is better but you get the idea. If the bullet wont pass thru the cyl throat, its getting sized by the throat.

·
Registered
36,239 Posts
The LCT is such a good little press. Like I said, I dont know how many rounds I loaded on mine, but it was a lot. I can tell you this though...after going progressive, I won't go back. I could add the case and bullet feeders to make it even faster but those two add ons don't really interest me. I know they sure would speed up production however.
Seriously, if you wanted to add those, sell the press & buy a 750 or clean 650. Case feeder is better & the bullet feeders are kinda universal. Or keep it for low production of other calibers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts