close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Back in my day" nonsense.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Diesel McBadass, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

When I was a kid we had other fun things, like polio, and various fevers that swept through the communities killing a percentage of the population.

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Back in my day, we didn't have the internet, so we talked to real people, face to face. That's where we learned that (a) if a guy says "every day all the time" we didn't prove him wrong by arguing that he went inside to watch TV at night, like it's literal. Then, if we did take a guy's hyperbole literally, we didn't turn around in the same breath and claim he named "a million" favorite shows. And (b) we also had math in school, so we realized that if a guy is 50 and names 20 shows he liked back in the day, that's not much TV. I spent years of my childhood with no television, but I can still name plenty of favorite shows. And yes, we went out in all weather. It's no BS that kids and young adults today are very noticeably more delicate.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm 75 so I've seen a lot of changes over the years that young people can't even imagine.

In a nut shell........
    Such as medicine, transportation, the computer age, etc, is amazing and makes life so much better and easier than when I was a kid.

What has changed is the people.
    People really suck now days.

4. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

I agree...

to an extent. People are so distracted these days, and especially the youth. The distractions of technology take away from the reality of having to nurture relationships to make them work, of intimacy, and of such good human traits as compassion and empathy. I think with something constantly in our faces, it is easy to lose focus on what matters.

5. oldman11

oldman11

Yeah, I'm 73 and I know exactly what you mean.

6. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Yep.
    Outside, nearly all day, nearly every day. My single speed American Flyer rocked!

Daytime television was soaps, divorce courts, queen for a day, etc. It was BAD. Might catch an old horror film, or Dark Shadows after 3:00 p.m. If you were lucky. :crying: And MOM had to approve the programming, and she was very anti scary stuff and shoot-em-ups.

And with no air conditioning, outside was just as good as inside. We kids were in charge of weeding the garden, mowing the lawn, fixing supper when we got old enough.

Yes. There are a lot of things I DO NOT miss, but: I do think we were a little tougher and more resourceful than kids today. And we were total wusses compared to what our parent experienced and endured...... The Depression, W.W. 2, etc.

Different times, different people.

7. manderson525

manderson525

My Dad said he swam the river both ways, three times a day to go to school. It was faster than hiking to the RR trestle.

8. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

I walked to grade school for 7 years (K-6), it was roughly a mile both ways. Took about 15 minutes or so, not a big deal. You wore a raincoat if it was raining, there was a place for them and your boots in the classroom. We didn't start moving around between classrooms until 5th grade or so. The only time my parents picked me up from school was when I had a doctor/dentist appointment. Oh, and that time in 2nd grade when Jeff Mason knocked out my brand-new permanent front tooth playing flag football at recess.

Then I had to start taking the bus in 7th grade on until I turned 16. That. Sucked. Walking was much better. If it snowed, well, that was the best. Usually school would be cancelled and nothing but nothing beat a snow day. We'd build big snow forts and have knockdown dragout snow ball fights with 20-30 kids. You'd run inside to get dry gloves/mittens/socks, grab a baloney sandwich on the way out the door, and it never really seemed all that cold.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

At least you didn't have one of those metro tall-people-blinding umbrellas, CC.

Wintertime grade school coat rooms awash in rubber boots and the bread bags we covered our feet in to put them on. Ahhhh. Those were the days.

10. 2bgop

2bgop

I am not even middle age yet and I spent most all day outside. I grew up in a very rural area, on a large farm with no neighbors, plus I was an only child.

We only had 4 or 5 channels on a good day and what was on during the day sucked. I played basketball by myself, rode horses and 4 wheelers and hunted the crap out of pigeons with a BB gun. When it was around dinner time, my mother would let our dog out and when I saw him running around, I knew it was time to head back towards the house.

Also, the comment about no air conditioning is very true, when it is the same temp inside and out, you might as well go out. I believe I was around 10 when we got AC.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I love AC, but there was something about jumping into the above-ground pool at 10pm right before bed. Your wet head hitting the pillow. Just a complete cool feeling on your body and you could sleep through those hot hot nights.

I don't know how my dad got up the next day and put on a suit and tie. Ugh.

12. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Your problem is your own filter.

I'm 48, and I was outside from early light till dark 90% of the time during summer months. After school same thing or sports. TV? Yeah all three channels you could get on rabbit ears.

And I did ride my bike or walk to school during my elementary and junior high days.

13. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

For a few years, until we moved from Normal, IL to Joplin, MO, we had cable TV. This was back in the late 60's/early 70's and may have been among the very first cable TV systems in the USA. It wasn't much, only about 12 channels, but you got a good picture on all the channels. I can't remember what was on the non-network channels back then, probably a bunch of infomercials and local (the the Chicago metro area) programming. Pretty sure the cable company was based in Chicago and reached all the way past Bloomington/Normal.

This is back when shows like I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, and Star Trek were regular network shows coming on in prime time. I remember that after Star Trek, Bonanza came on and I hated that show but my parents liked it. The Wonderful World of Disney and Mutual Omaha's Wild Kingdom were big deals, along with Andy Griffith, Red Skelton, Jackie Gleason, and the Ed Sullivan Show.

I remember watching some of the Watergate hearings live at my grandparent's house. Had no idea what was going on.

14. edporch

edporch

Reminds me of what an older man who worked for my dad for MANY years used to say.

"The ONLY thing GOOD about the good ol' days is we was younger!"

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  15. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Sounds like Diesel McBadass might learn something today.

16. WT

WT Millennium Member

What TV?

Back in the day I would talk to grandpa about his experiences in the Spanish-American War.

During grammar school I would go home at lunchtime to shovel coal into the boiler in the basement. Ran thru 2 tons per month in the winter.

I remember the Mack trucks with solid wheels and chain drive. I remember railroad steam engines.

Yes, even found time to play outside in inclement weather.

17. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

In my younger days, a lot more people seemed to say "please" and "thank you.

Kids were "kids" and not expected to be treated like adults.

"Because I said so" was a good enough reason to do whatever what Dad said without hesitation.

I never even thought for a moment about being abducted and molested by a neighbor.

Store clerks could make change and treat you like a customer rather than an annoyance.

Neighbors would watch out for other neighbors kids and help those that may need help, or take a straying toddler who "escaped" from home instead of calling the cops on the parents.

It was OK to ride in the front seat with dad instead of being strapped into a chair in the back seat.

Dad could even smoke in the car with 7 kids stacked in the back of the station wagon.

Dad could dope slap one of us kids if we got out of hand in public and nobody called the cops on him.

Mom could do the same....and then Dad would do it again when we got home and she told him we were acting up.

It was OK to have a jack knife in your pocket at school. It was also OK to play "Cops and Robbers" during recess in grade school.

It was OK to wear "hand-me-downs", and most kids in my school with older siblings did so.

I don't blame technology for the changes I don't like in these present times, but more what I see as a degradation of society in general.:upeyes:

18. Steve0853

Steve0853

ahh, you young whippersnappers with your fancy televisions......and wearing shoes in the summer.....:fred: :fred:

19. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified

People have always sucked. The difference is that back in the day, a person's word and reputation was sacred and one was held accountable. You said you'd do something? You darn well better do it or you'd become "that guy". Everybody knew who was the junkie, who was the whore, etc. Those people were pariahs and had to work at rehabilitating their image.

Not so today. Today your reputation is made by thuggery, abuse, embezzlement and personal gain. Saying you'll do something and not doing it has no negative consequences. Standards have changed and what was once frowned upon is now celebrated. Wanna be a successful politician? Send pics of you weiner to random women, whatever it takes to get into that 24 hour news cycle. A video of you twerking will get you paid!
    Can any of us imagine Ike getting a BJ from an intern in the Oval Office, much less getting away with it after it was confirmed?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  20. Glock1963

Glock1963

I turn 50 this month and I can relate to much that has been posted from others my age.

We NEVER had air conditioning. I remember thinking it was a big relief when you walked into a classroom and the teacher had brought their own box fan from home and had it running. I don't ever remember school letting out early due to the heat. My kid is in the 6th grade and their school is air conditioned and they're sent home early due to the heat on some days?

We played outside. We were often supervised by other adults from the neighborhood and we listened to them. I rode a single speed Schwinn Stingray until I outgrew it. I left it behind the car and my mom backed over it. The handle bars were never the same and were bent but I could still ride it. That was a good thing because I wasn't getting another one!

I wouldn't trade my time for what kids have now. I am glad we didn't have a thousand channels on TV, cell phones, hand-held electronic devices, video games, etc.

In fact, I wish we didn't have them now.:dunno: