Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
rip "Bud"
9,978 Posts
Walking with good substantial shoes on your feet. I didn't say expensive shoes. Copy the military's boots and shoes. They have people walking around everywhere!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Walking with good substantial shoes on your feet. I didn't say expensive shoes. Copy the military's boots and shoes. They have people walking around everywhere!
Issued military boots suck for the most part. Most anyone who has to spend time in them will pony up for the Rocky's or something similar. Merrell makes a great hiking/walking boot.

Or, if you simply must have the military boots, enlist, free access to great gyms on most posts.:wavey:

·
Who, me?
1,147 Posts
I will be moving into an apartment soon and will probably not be able to do pullups. Joining a gym is NOT an option. Weights for rows are also not an option.

What non-pull-up exercises do you recommend for the back?
Do kettlebell exercises. And, get a chin-up bar that mounts in a doorway. It doesn't use screws, or any other type of hardware. You can then use blast straps, with rings, etc, for a variety of exercises.

If you can't do these things, either I don't understand this thread, or you just can't train. The OP's initial statement is like this: "I want to learn to shoot, but I don't have a gun, or ammo, and nowhere to practice". Well, then you can't learn to shoot.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
1. obtain/read Backache, Stress and Tension by Hans Kraus, M.D. Skyhorse Publishing.
Was President of Kennedy's Council on Physical Fitness. Illustrated. 7 types of back exercise tests. If you do one iteration of an exercise, you pass. Assume that you cannot do one. He has 27 illustrated (photographs) exercises. He tells you which ones to do for a particular failed exercise and in what order.

2. obtain/read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Core Conditioning Illustrated by Patrick S Hagerman.
He says that you can do a complete workout in 30 minutes.

In March 2014, I had to be helped off the examining table by the MD.

I am free of back pain now. I do a series of exercises from the two books and from Kaiser physical therapy. I do them at home and skip the commute to the gym for which I used to pay.

Kraus estimated that about 80 percent of his patients were helped by the exercises.

You have three choices;
1. surgery;
2. pills;
3. thoughtful exercise (not the usual stupid weightlifting exercises that cause people to quit after a few weeks).

You will hear or read a bunch of stuff about how you should run a lot or weight lift a lot.

Look up Dr/ Doug McGuff, M.D., a Florida emergency room doctor who was a weightlifter throughout medical school. He did the research and concluded that strength conditioning didn't require hours and hours of weightlifting, but only a few minutes a week. There is a time that you use weights, of course, like light weights when you recover from rotator cuff surgery.

If you buy a pair of boots, walk to the grocery store instead of drive, and keep the refrigerator off, you don't have to bother running a lot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree that walking is a great exercise for your back. 3 miles is just about right for me, I am able to break a sweat and maintain it for a while until I finish my walk.

If you lose/reduce your mobility, your back will go downhill a lot faster.

Stay active; walking is gentle, inexpensive and low-impact on your joints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts