Baby Glock vs M&P compact

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Frmboybuck, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Frmboybuck

Frmboybuck ***** medic

I am looking for someone who went from a baby Glock to a M&P compact. I carried a G27 for a long time and really liked the size and concealability of it. Today, I picked up a M&P compact for the first time and really liked the way it fit my hand. It felt really nice. I was curious how the owners of the M&P compact liked their weapons and if the concealability was as good as the Glock. As far as the weapon goes, does it handle and shoot well? I am really thinking about picking up a M&P compact

2. Frmboybuck

Frmboybuck ***** medic

3. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

I wouldn't trade my 27 for all the M&P's in the world.Good luck with that though...

4. ammoguy3460

ammoguy3460

The M&P compact is a great gun. I found it to be very naturally pointing and that it just slips into my hand. I never got this with Glocks. They are easy shooters and reliable too, so no worries there. If you like the feel better, go for it. I dropped my G26 for my M&P 9c. One thing, though, is that size wise the M&P is a little larger than the G26. I saw this as an advantage because I get get a more solid grip.

They are great guns, give em a shot (pun intended)!

5. ammoguy3460

ammoguy3460

Constructive! Thanks for your insight. :upeyes:

6. 1Lieutenant

1Lieutenant

This may not answer your question directly because my M&P 9c is not "stock" but hope it helps.

Went the range today with my Glock 26 (unmodified) and my M&P 9c. The Glock I have owned for over a year, the M&P about two weeks. Last week I used the M&P for the first time and was not impressed with the trigger. Trigger pull required much more effort than the Glock. Reset was fairly long and indistinct. I installed the Apex Tactical Hard Sear hoping to improve trigger pull.

Results:
    Trigger pull:

Glock: Consistent with clean break, very little creep.

M&P: Long travel to take up the slack, kind of crunchy along the way, but very clean break with very little creep. Much lighter pull than Glock with the new sear. Reset short and very distinct. Dramatic improvement over stock sear.
    As long as I allowed the trigger to reset, and not let it completely travel to the beginning, the grittiness was unnoticed.

Ergonomics:

I have always liked, not loved, my Glock. Grip does not fit my had real well, underside trigger guard always pinches my second finger. Mag and slide release always stiff and difficult to access one handed.

M&P grip fits my hand beautifully. A joy to shoot compared to my Glock. Mag release and slide catch seem to located ideally for my hand and make one handed function a pleasure.

Results:

M&P wins hands down for comfort and ease of shooting, HOWEVER, I think I shoot the Glock better. Maybe it is because I have more rounds downrange. Only time will tell.

Here are two targets, ten rounds each at 10 yards. I shot about fifty rounds prior to shooting each test target to make sure I had a good feel for the trigger of each gun as they are so different. All shots off hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

No problem...:smoking:

8. ammoguy3460

ammoguy3460

:rofl: :wavey:

9. sig freak78

sig freak78

I like the glock trigger better.:wavey:

10. MarccraM

MarccraM

I went exactly the other direction.. Have an mp compact and went to a g27.

Personally I like the mp a lot... The glock is a bit lighter and I can get mags much cheaper.

Its the ultimate tomAto, tomAHto issue..

Personally though, I don't know that I'd buy a mp to replace a glock at this point.. If you just want to get another gun just go for it... If you're looking for "better" I think you'll be left flat.

11. greenLED

greenLED

I find that by using the small grips on the M&Pc, the gun fits my hands much better; I can reach all the controls more comfortably than with the G26.

OTOH, I don't like the double-reset feel on the M&P's. I much prefer Glock's sharp reset.

12. RLB

RLB

What was your point of aim for each of these?
    Thanks

13. Upstate Glocker

Upstate Glocker

I've got both and have pretty much the same reaction as 1Lieutenant. G27 wins on reliability and trigger; M&P wins on feel, grip, handling.

It has always mystified me why Glock is so stubborn on the "one size fits all" grip; the 2x4 thing is getting really old. Gaston much have big hands and assume we all do.

For EDC I alternate and cannot strongly pick one over the other.

14. Bob45

Bob45

For some reason, I shoot my M&P 9c much better than a G26, I like the Smith trigger much better than Glock, but thats just opinion, the M&P is bigger than a 26, but smaller than a 19, but is easy to conceal, and as time goes on there are many holsters and accesories for it. I really like mine, I have a Fist IWB holster and just ordered a Raven holster to use with an Insight light/laser attached.

15. Frmboybuck

Frmboybuck ***** medic

Im looking to pick up another EDC.....I sold my EDC 27 last week to a buddy that needed a gun now and the G27 is hard to find here at a respectable price. I do have a blue label 27 on order but I have no idea when it will come in. It could be here tomorrow or it could be a couple months??? IDK. Id LOVE to just wait untill the 4th gen 27s hit the block but who the hell knows when that will be. I am in the same boat with Glock. I like the way they handle, shoot, and carry but the grip leaves a lot to be desired. I also looked at the XD yesterday and while it felt like a fine weapon, Its kinda hard to conceal a framing square. The grip is LONG on those damn things. Thanks for everyones opinion. I may give the M&P a try and see how I like it. Are aftermarket parts fairly accessible?

16. 1Lieutenant

1Lieutenant

Point of aim was front site covering orange center.

17. mixflip

mixflip

#1 This is a Glock stronghold...expect negative comments when comparing a Glock to any other gun.Even the guys who have never even shot the gun you are interested in will chime in and tell you the other gun sucks. That just the nature of the beast.

#2 If the gun is being used for self defense, I wouldn't be too much of a "trigger diva". If the trigger is half way decent then it should do well in self defense.

The day you pull your gun to save your life or the life of your loved ones, adrenaline, fear and stress will play such a big role that you wont have time to take those clean and comfortable shots you take on the range when shooting paper that doesnt shoot back on a sunny day with hearing protection on.

Just my thoughts. I own several Glocks and carry a G26 24/7 when not at work. I am not a Glock only guy. I dont own an M&P but I am definitely open to buying one some day for the ergonomics and features.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  18. RS7

RS7

1LT, I'd be much happier with the Glock group. Maybe a slightly lower rear sight for dot over point of impact shooting with the Glock. I've fired both and still favor my 26. Nothing wrong with the M&P, just personal preference.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

The M&P 9c just edged out the G26 for me. I recently added one for summer carry to replace the Sig 229 when I need to wear tshirt/shorts etc.

I also ordered a Desantis pocket holster for it to carry in cargo shorts or jeans as necessary.

20. fastbolt

fastbolt

I picked up a M&P 40c with the expectation that I'd probably retire my G27 to the safe.

The M&P 40c is very close in overall size to the G27. The M&P 40c's replaceable backstrap/palm swell inserts offer quite a bit of variability. After a couple of thousand rounds I finally settled on the largest of the inserts.

The balance is slightly better than the G27 from my perspective.

The felt recoil and muzzle whip of the M&P 40c is a bit less than with the G27.

I can shoot more rounds through the M&P 40c and feel it less than with my G27. (I've had a fair amount of opportunity to become accustomed to my G27, too, as I've fired more than 10,000 rounds through it.)

The other day I fired approx 300+ rounds through the M&P 40c with the same level of comfort as firing 100 rounds through the G27 during the same range session (interspersed with shooting the M&P 40c). I could have continued to shoot the M&P 40c, but I didn't feel like shooting any more out of the G27 at one point. Very subjective, though.

I prefer the trigger of the M&P 40c, although both designs offer serviceable triggers for their intended purpose.

The feeding of both seems equivalent so far, although I've experienced more than a dozen feeding issues over the course of shooting 10,000+ rounds through the G27 during the last several years, so I guess I'll eventually see if the M&P 40c follows suit.

Accuracy is pretty equivalent, although I can achieve the same practical accuracy shooting the M&P 40c 1-handed more easily than when shooting the G27 1-handed (same qual/shooting drills).

The longer butt plate of the M&P 40c mags did tend to pinch my little finger, where the G27's standard mags with the Pearce curved floor plate and the factory 11-rd mag (factory + floor plate & insert) haven't done that. I don't carry enough mags and rounds for that to become an issue under normal circumstances, though. ;) The standard mags in flush floor plate configuration feel the same to my hands when I curl my little finger underneath the mag.

I did have to resolve an early slide stop condition with my M&P 40c (stronger - optional - slide stop lever spring and apparently a burred condition on a couple of opposing surfaces).

Shooting the M&P 40c alongside a M&P 9c is much like shooting a G27 alongside a G26, meaning a lot of folks may prefer the 9mm model. I observed that reaction among 3 instructors several days ago when both M&P compact models were being used. If I didn't already have a selection of excellent compact/subcompact 9mm pistols I'd probably have picked up the M&P 9c instead of the 40c. (Kind of like I first decided I wanted the G26 instead of a G27 after shooting a number of each of them, but ended up with a G27, anyway.)

If you can arrange to try a M&P 40c with representative ammunition that you plan to use, you ought to consider trying it to compare against your experience with the G27.

G27 & M&P 40c: (Pictures taken before I decided to switch to the largest grip insert.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

End result? I haven't completely retired my G27 to the safe, but I do tend to like some features and characteristics of the M&P 40c better.

Decide for yourself.

They're both good quality examples when it comes to relatively small .40's.

I still prefer similarly sized 9mm's, myself, though.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010