close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

baby glock vs. 2" snub for pocket carry

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tonyg, Mar 20, 2006.

1. tonyg

tonyg

i'm new to glocking so forgive me if i'm asking a stupid question. i currently carry a taurus 85ss in an alessi (front)pocket holster. it works fine in standard army fatigue pants which is what i normally wear. i've been thinking about getting a sub glock (26, 27,or 33). the measurements for these three models i'm considering are 6.29" long x 4.17" high x 1.18" thick. this is slightly smaller all the way around than my taurus....(6.5"x4.28"x1.35") and yet the general drift i'm getting from reading the posts on this subject (if i'm not mistaken) is that a lot of you glockers, if not most, think the baby glocks are not best suited for front pocket carry. could you please explain? thanks for your help.....tonyg

2. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

Yes, a lot of folks here think the Sub Glocks are good pocket guns. I don't like to carry Glocks (any Glocks) in anything other than a good holster.

As much as I LOVE the Subs (especially the G26) I think a small revolver with it's rather heavy and long trigger pull is probably a little more a pocket gun...IMHO of course. It's all about the trigger and weather you feel comfortable carrying a fully loaded Glock in a pocket.

However, undaunted by my own opinion, I do sometimes carry my G26 in a pocket...sort of. I carry the G26 in a leather vest with an inside pocket designed for that purpose. I don't know however, if I would just drop her in a back jeans pocket (like I used to back in the day with my S&W M36) or in a front pocket of a loose pair of shorts.

I carry my G26 pretty much 24/7 and apart from the vest I usually carry it in a good sturdy holster, the type depending on the season. For me the firepower of the G26 over the snubby makes all the difference. I'll put up with the extra bulk for the added capacity.

Again, bottom line, it's all about keeping yer bugger hook off the ignition switch until you're ready to fire. :cool:

3. alank2

alank2

Hi,

I bought a snub because my G26 is simply too big and heavy for my pocket. I typically wear cargo type shorts with decent size pockets. I have pocket carried a G26 without a holster (and without a round in the pipe), but it prints very badly and is quite heavy at 27.5 oz loaded. I would think a holster would only make it heavier and bulkier. Don't get me wrong, I could not love the G26 more, and if I could only have one pistol, it would be it. I just don't think it is a great pocket pistol, although I can't think of much else it doesn't have going for it.

I just got a 442 38+P that is invisible in my pocket and 17 oz loaded. I got this as a "I'm going out to the mailbox" quick put it in my pocket gun. Its shape lends to its invisibility in the pocket.

No doubt the G26 is superior in shootability, power, and capacity.

Good Luck,

Alan

4. shaun748

shaun748

I am not much of a pocket carry guy either, but my G26 just does not conform to the shape of the pocket/pant leg as well as my J-frame..

The G26 is bulky and square down the whole length of the gun where a revolver only flares out at the cylinder before tapering back down to the barrel. this seems to help naturaly blend the shape back into the drape of the pant leg..

with the Glock there is just a big square bump in your pocket...Though it can most definately be pocket carried you will notice a big difference between them, though fatigues will hide it better..

For full time pocket carry the J-frame would win hands down, especially the new lighter weight models.

The G26 is so small why not just go with a IWB and keep your revolver for those quick "check the mail box trips" that ALANK2 mentioned..

I carry my G26 IWB 99.99% of the time, but still find it easier to slip my 2 inch 38 into my jacket or shorts pocket for a trip to the store.

If I could shoot my J-frame as well as my G26 and had the same ammo capacity I would carry it full time. I work with a few guys that often carry the 2 inch 38 at work, but I only carry it if I really need to hide the gun well.

5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I can make the shape work; it's mostly the weight, and accompanying sagging, that causes the problems. I'll keep my really lightweight snubby for pocket use, and employ the G26 for other-than-pants-pocket-carry (great for coat/jacket pocket use, balanced by a few spare G19 mags on the off-side).

6. Little Thomas

Little Thomas

I really like pocket carry for my G27. I have a horsehide pocket holster that I use. I don't have to wear dockers or suits very often, but it works for me in jeans or cargo pants/shorts.I keep a BUG in my offside pocket to go with a IWB/OWB strongside.

Not the fastest draw though, the snubbie probably beats it here.

7. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

for me, the 642 goes into a pocket, the G26 goes into a holster. More often than not, I carry the snub. I shoot them both equally well, but of course the 26 has twice the capacity and a much faster reload.

8. caddyshack

caddyshack AmbulanceDriver

At heart, I am pocket carry guy. Carry a Kel-tec and a Gaurdian most times, a NAA mini-revolver when I'm in the mood. I also have a J-frame snub that gets some CCW time, too.

This being said, I've pocket carried the glocks in cargo pants or vest pockets when I could. I found I do much better concealing the sub Glocks in a belt or paddle holster of some configuration.

I am not a big framed person to begin with. In fact, for years the NAA mini-revolver in .22mag was my everyday carry. It just fit in the front pocket of any trousers I wore (jeans, dress pants, etc).

Regards,

Steve

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

I use both a S&W J-frame and a couple of subcompact 9mm/.40 Glocks for pocket carry (using a holster).

The J-frame fits in more pockets, and generally enjoys an overall advantage when it comes to drawing & presentation. Personally, I don't enjoy front pocket pants carry with either platform, except for the J-frame with some dress slacks. Definitely not jeans.

I'd rather hope this subject presumes that the potential user would desire to possess and maintain a reasonable level of skill and competency with either of the selected weapon systems. Sometimes I wonder if a lot of folks may never have had the opportunity, or perhaps the inclination, to develop and maintain the elevated DA/DAO revolver skills required to effectively and accurately shoot a diminutive snub-nosed revolver, especially under stress.

Of course, not everyone finds the subcompact pistols necessarily 'easy' to accurately shoot, either ...

As far as chosen caliber ...

Well, once my agency established a minimum caliber for personally owned off-duty weapons, and I was no longer permitted to occasionally pocket a NAA .22LR revolver, I wondered if I might not have been fooling myself, somewhat, when it came to the potential effectiveness of the short-barreled .22 in the role of an off-duty weapon.

And yes, I remember The Onion Field ...

I've known a fellow cop who was armed with a .25 ACP when he became involved in an exchange of gunfire with a suspect armed with a 9mm. It was shortly afterward that it was determined that the minimum caliber that would be permitted for off-duty (or Secondary usage) would be a .32 ACP ... and I happen to have raised my personal preference to that of the .38 Spl revolver or 9mm ...

Of course, lawfully carrying a handgun for defensive purpose is a compromise in itself, considering the power levels of handguns compared to long arms. As I've spent increasingly more years carrying one I've just developed a more conservatively cautious perspective on what I would be willing to use in an unexpected life threatening situation involving the lawful defense of myself, a loved one or an innocent third party.

10. The Goose

The Goose

I pocket carry a j frame at work every day in a Kramer pocket holster. I wear Dockers and I find it easy and comfortable. Evenings and weekends or off time I carry a G26 IWB in a VM-2. I am a big guy, but I just cannot carry the G26 in my pocket. I have an Uncle Mike's pocket holster that fits the G26 well, but it is just too heavy and blocky for me. Sometimes I carry it in a coat pocket in the winter when I am walking the dog.

I know that some guys do pocket carry their sub compacts, but it just does not work for me.

11. Ray26

Ray26

For me, the G26 fits in an Uncle Mikes #4 pocket holster but is too bulky and heavy for all day pocket carry...For all day pocket carry, the S&W 642/442 in an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster (loaded with Speer 38 cal 135gr +P specifically made for short barrel revolvers) is much better although it doesn't have the G26 firepower.