Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all of you CCWers and LEO's out there. Let me preface this by saying I am in no way making fun of or ridiculing someone here it's just a matter of preference and me wondering WTF.

At lunch today I saw a LEO carrying a baby Glock in an OWB holster. I know he was a LEO because of the badge on his belt. I'm thinking why do this? Why not carry the full size or compact version of this 9mm, .40 s/w, or .357 sig? I wasn't sure which one it was, just that it was the subcompact model. Again, I'm not ridiculing or anything I just wouldn't do it myself. I think they are great weapons and great for concealment or a BUG. However if you are a LEO, wouldn't you want a bigger framed gun for Primary Carry? I know I would.

Maybe some of you folks can enlighten me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Im sorry to disappoint you but that LEO of yours was nothing more than a mall ninja with his CCW BADGE.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Was it OC? I can't picture someone actually using a sub Glock for OC, it just seems ridiculous. If it's gonna be showing, it might as well be the regular sized ones.

I do have a 27 and I love it, carries and conceals very well, and shoots very well also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As Police Officer, I sometimes OC a G27 with a badge on my belt next to my holster. But, only in the town where I work and am known, after all, I am in NJ.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was it OC? I can't picture someone actually using a sub Glock for OC, it just seems ridiculous. If it's gonna be showing, it might as well be the regular sized ones.

I do have a 27 and I love it, carries and conceals very well, and shoots very well also.
Yes it was OC. He was not in uniform. I didn't catch a glimpse of Handcuffs or spare mags. I didn't see his weak side. All I saw was the weapon and badge.

·
NRA Member
554 Posts
The g26 is a great concealed carry or open carry for plain cloths and off duty officer. In many cases I have seen the 26 do as well on the range as the larger 19 and 23s. What a lot of folks fail to understand is its the ability to carry all day without feeling the pain that counts so the lighter smaller weapons are good to go.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The g26 is a great concealed carry or open carry for plain cloths and off duty officer. In many cases I have seen the 26 do as well on the range as the larger 19 and 23s. What a lot of folks fail to understand is its the ability to carry all day without feeling the pain that counts so the lighter smaller weapons are good to go.

I have no doubt about its proficiency on the range. I guess I didn't take into account the difference in weight and comfort in carrying. I figured one would get used to the 19 or 23 just as quickly. Also, the extra rounds and better grip would be a preference of mine. I am no LEO and did not mean any disrespect towards those of you that are LEO's and OC the baby Glocks. I was just wondering.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Its been 2 years I have had my big glocks locked up together trying to make these baby glocks you speak of!

Seriously though... I can totally see your point. I used to shoot IDPA with a police officer and he carried a g26 and his friend carried a james bond wather ppk thingie... and it was a .380. Now caliber aside wouldn't you want to be able to shoot as many times as possible without havin to reload? I don't understand it, but I guess I don't understand a lot of things. Like if a tree falls on a treehugger in the forest... does anyone care?

Its not so much the caliber that hurts to think about its the lack of capacity.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I ocd my Berreta 92 once and that thing felt like a birck compared to this little 26
I guess every ones mileage varies a tad... cause I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs. So even with a full size g20 with a full high cap mag, I tend to forget its there... but a g26 would probably be slapped thinkin it was a mosquito.

I just figured in a job where there is a higher probability of bein in a shootout with maybe even multiple BG's I wouldn't wanna run out of ammo. Just me bein a paranoid freak I guess :cool:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have no doubt about its proficiency on the range. I guess I didn't take into account the difference in weight and comfort in carrying. I figured one would get used to the 19 or 23 just as quickly. Also, the extra rounds and better grip would be a preference of mine. I am no LEO and did not mean any disrespect towards those of you that are LEO's and OC the baby Glocks. I was just wondering.
Also you can use a G19 magazine with a sleeve to give you a full grip, more firepower, but lighter carry weight

G

·
I seem to remember that back in the day, officers in plain cloths usually carried small revolvers (j frame, 5 shooters I think) on their belt. They were just easier to carry.

Ken

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a question for all of you CCWers and LEO's out there. Let me preface this by saying I am in no way making fun of or ridiculing someone here it's just a matter of preference and me wondering WTF.

At lunch today I saw a LEO carrying a baby Glock in an OWB holster. I know he was a LEO because of the badge on his belt. I'm thinking why do this? Why not carry the full size or compact version of this 9mm, .40 s/w, or .357 sig? I wasn't sure which one it was, just that it was the subcompact model. Again, I'm not ridiculing or anything I just wouldn't do it myself. I think they are great weapons and great for concealment or a BUG. However if you are a LEO, wouldn't you want a bigger framed gun for Primary Carry? I know I would.

Maybe some of you folks can enlighten me.
He probably was a detective and not a patrol officer. Most of the plain cloth LEOs I know do not carry full size Glocks.

·
Snub Lover
594 Posts
The Plain Clothes Detectives in my town are issued G27's for duty. They generally wear them open with polo shirts and khakis or dress pants.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts