close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baby back ribs, the first time?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by ysr_racer, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Hi guys, can I get some help here?

I’ve got a Meco eclectic smoker that I used it for the first time last week. I smoked a tri-tip from Costco and it came out GREAT. It was 2 ½ pounds and I smoked it for 2 ½ hours. I used Paul Kirk’s dry rub & mesquite wood chunks.

I’m going to buy baby back ribs form Costco and give them a try. Here are my questions.

1. What kind of wood do you guys recommend for ribs?
    2. How long do I smoke them?
    3. Should I use the same rub?
    4. What’s this “moping” I keep hearing about?

Thanks for all your help.
    Brad g.

2. Hokie3

Hokie3

I too am interested in learning about baby back ribs as I would like to make them for me and my brother to eat during the superbowl. Any info or secrets are greatly appreciated.

3. lwt210

lwt210

1. Mesquite will work fine for ribs but I have also tried apple wood and that is quite good also. Used hickory in the past too.

2. I have smoked them up to four or five hours depending on the temp of the cooking chamber. I try to keep it at about 225 degrees

3. If you like that rub, sure, go ahead and use it again. A dry rub that I like is:

1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup sweet paprika
    3 tablespoons black pepper coarse ground
    3 tablespoons coarse salt
    1 tablespoon hickory-smoked salt
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons celery seeds
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix all of this in a bowl and rub it into the ribs prior to cooking.

4. Mopping is taking a mop sauce to spread on the meat while it is cooking to keep it moist and happy. I have never used a mop sauce for ribs and prefer to spray them with a mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar (which does the same thing). Then, towards the end of the cooking/smoking, I will wrap them with aluminum foil and let them cook the final hour or two. That seals in the juices and keeps them from getting dry.

A mop sauce:

1 cup cider vinegar
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon of coarse salt
    1 tablespoon of brown sugar
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

You can also marinate your ribs in a mixture of apple cider and fresh squeezed lemon juice for a couple of hours prior to cooking/smoking.

When the ribs are almost done, you can brush on a sauce near the end, depending on how messy you like them. More sauce, more messy but do this right at the end to keep the sugars in the sauce from burning.

Good luck. Do what we do: throw a pork shoulder on the smoker and have a feast. If I am going to invest the time in smoking, I usually smoke a bunch of meat.

4. lwt210

lwt210

These were spareribs and a pork butt.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Here's the rub I used on the tri-tip. It was great.

PAUL KIRK BASIC RUB

1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup season salt
    1/4 cup garlic salt
    1/4 cup onion salt
    1/4 cup celery salt
    1/3 cup paprika, 1/2 cup if desired
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground mustard
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon all spice
    1/4 teaspoon ground clove

On another forum they said use the 2-1-1 method. 2 hours on the smoker, 1 hour on the smoker in tinfoil, 1 more hour on the smoker without the tinfoil.

I'll let you know.

brad

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

This is semi cheating but works great...

Find your favorite rub. Rub the ribs and place them in a large cooking bag with about a 1/4 cup of water and place in oven that is set to 225/250 degrees. About 2 to 3 hours, until the meat begins to shrink from the bones. Remove and let cool to room temp. remove from bags and place in smoker/grill and slow smoke till hot and sufficent mopping takes place...

Result is great moist ribs with out boiling and loseing flavor...

BTW, Hickory is my favorite... followed by Mesquite in small quanities...

7. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I used to smoke ribs on a cheap smoker I bought at a garage sale for $10, that was new and still in the box. When I smoked ribs on it, I used mesquite or hickory, and used a dry rub, made sauce on the stove for dipping later. Anyway the cheap smoker took about 6-8 hours depending on how many ribs I was cooking. I usually cooked 3 full slabs, and threw a chicken cut in half on for the last 3 hours. Several friends have told me they like my ribs better than any they have ever eaten. (breaking arm patting my back)

When you prepare the ribs, don't forget to peel off the silverskin on the bone side of the slab, its very thin. May have to use pliers to get it ALL off. That way the ribs won't curl when smoking, and you don't want to eat that anyway.

Got a new Weber smoker, and it cut my cooking time down to about 5 hours. So each smoker is different. I have never used an electric smoker, only charcoal. I throw the wood chips on the charcoal.

8. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I'm well aware of this but I'm also embarrassed to say I tend to forget to strip the membrane...;Q Thanks for the heads up...;e

9. lwt210

lwt210

A set of catfish skinners works well for the membrane removal chore.