close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baaa Baaa let's talk goat

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Jul 19, 2006.

1. noway

noway

Let's talk goat cervo/cabrito/chivo

Goat and Lamb/sheep are the oldest known meats in the world both historically and bibilcaly. Goats like sheeps are easy to maintain and very rugged. Unlike the cow/horse which is raised for both food consumption in the western and european worlds, they require much more care and are more fragile to sickness and weather. A goat and it similar sheep/lamb are not. They can climb some of the rough sides of hills mountains and seek shelter where as a cow can't. Their stomach and digest even the most foul of weed and plants.

Goat like vension is very lean with no marbling. So it meat must be cook slooooooowly, on loooooow heat to avoid drying it out. The meat works best in a stew/legumes and is common eaten in a curry dish. Yesterday my method was curry goat done with a mix of masala spices and piegon peas. This meal will feed 2 adults sizes (2 serving) and can be eaten with rice/flat-bread (i.e India/Pakistan nam or Trinidadian roti breads ).

The key with making curry goat is getting or cutting good pieces of meat. I try to avoid goat cubes with alot skin/gristle or bone attach. So pick your pieces and trim them. You can also buy goat roast or legs for cutting yourself at most Latino/Carib/Middle-easten food locations and it might be cheaper than pre-cut cubes.

Goats also get a bad rap as being hard-headed and PITAs. Some of this is true, if you ever desire to raise goats be advise they are smart and very determine folks. I've personally seen goats that my grand parents raised that would climb over each other to jump over the cattle fence. I even seen once a goat eat a path on top of round hay bale that was next to a fence to get over the fence. The old saying from my family, "If you have a weakness in your fence, a goat will surely find it "

If you ever want to see a strange goat check out a La Manchas ( earless goats ) okay not really earless but their ears aren't long and floppy like a typical goats. The easiest goats to maintain from my experience are Nigerian Pygmy goats. They can easily be grown to a marketable/slaughter weight with in a few months. Their are more skittish then most others goat and not as curious, which is a big plus for the raiser.

Here's my cubes are ready to go.

2. noway

noway

After getting the cubes prep and wash you want to marinade them in milk to tenderize them. Alot of M.E areas use yogurt of some sort due to the availability of milk being sparse and able to store as along ( I'm guessing not alot cows around and goats for the most part don't produce alot of milk either when compared to the cows ;) ). You can marinade the cubes for 6-14 hours.

" Got milk ? "

3. noway

noway

After getting the goat cubes marinade, then get you dutch pot ready. Here I'm using a cast aluminum ducth pot that holds heat in great. You fill it with enough water to cover the cubes by 1" and add salt,crush garlic, your ground masala & chile peppers. Turn the heat on and cover it up and walk away. Ocassionaly you must come back and inspect the food and stir it with a wooden/plastic spoon. Also try to maintain a 1" of water over head for the 1st 60-90mins of cooking time don't let the meat or peas burn and stick. After about 2-3hours of cooking the meat should be soft and able to be stringed with a tip of a fork. Spoon out your goat/peas with the curry sauce and eat over rice or with any of the breads types listed above. I also like to serve fine chopped onions, cilantro and tomate over the meat.

4. noway

noway

btw: you can subsitute vension ( deer/elk ) ,pork, lamb/sheep, and alot of other meats and cook the same way.

receipe

1.5 lbs of goat cubes
    2 tsp of oil
    2 tsp of curried powder and/or masala
    1 crush garlic clove
    1 chop onion ( medium )
    1 chopped tomate

cooking time 90-200 minutes depending on tenderness. After browning the goats meats on high with a little bit of oil, cook on low to low-medium heat just keeping the liquid mixture simmer but not boiling out. Stir ocassionaly. You can add fine flour or cornstarch to thicken up the curry but it shouldn't really be need.

Bon Apetit.

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

My brothers kids on a visit thought the milk at my house tasted funny.

I to;d my niece that it was cows milk.

I heard her tell her brother it is not bad it is just cows's milk.

6. noway

noway

Goat milk is very good and reccommend for folks like my cousin that are allegric to cows milk ( couldn't understand that ). But the cost per gallon could be extremely high.

I used good Old local Mac Arthur dairy milk as in the background and 100% satisfied. Ocassionaly I like to use goat milk also ;)

7. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Thanks, noway. Good info that. I LOVE cabrito. There's a Mexican-heavy community in south Nashville that's full of authentic Mexican restaurants. They don't advertise it on their menus but I've found a couple that have it on occasion (but only will serve it if you discretely ask the waiter, "Hay algo cabrito?").

When I'm done playing in the desert, I plan to do the gentleman farmer thing and goats are on the top of my livestock list.

My brother raised nervous/fainting goats. He interbred them with other varieties, trying to breed out the rigidness they develop in their hindquarters when they mature but keep the fainting spells.

8. noway

noway

{My brother raised nervous/fainting goats. He interbred them with other varieties, trying to breed out the rigidness they develop in their hindquarters when they mature but keep the fainting spells.
    }

That's cool to hear and right now that's one of the biggest thing going on; the cross-breeding of goats species . Hence that pygmy & dwarfs goats are some of the better breeds to intermingle with. They aren't agressive nor starle as much and nor are the curious as much. Pretty much a well behaved goat that's easiest to care for.

The stiff leg goats ( fainting goats ) is one of the funniest goats around next to La Manchas which just looks funny as hell.

Just like with cattle selective breeding can create some better cattles with m better genetics and is a big $$$$ business. In the last century we have breed almost every cow with each and the same is going along with goats.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I would love to try goat. With the significant Mexican community here, I keep expecting to find it but so far, no luck. I am still trying to talk the guy from Argentina I work with into cooking me some but he has trouble finding it here too. Maybe someday.

10. noway

noway

You can also find it ( live ) at goat ranches and get it for around 1-2dollars live weight or cheaper in some cases.

I have some grenadian friends that get their goat from a sorted of "U pick it out goat ranch " and it cost them less than $2.00 per lb of live weight. They select their goat and the rancher slaughter it and give it to them dressed/gutted. They cook& eat everything down to the feet, tongue and stomach. Not bad either if I might say. When all is done they have a box full of teeth and bones left over and I'm not joking either ;)

before you try goat see if your local grocery can get lamb/sheep which is more easily obtainable in bigger stores in bigger cities, unless you have a big latino/carib/african communities around. Also keep in mind Ehtiopian and alot of Middle Eastern shops will have goat or primarly sheep/lamb available also. So look at your big India/Pakistani/Afghan shops and you should find one of the other but some will have more sheep/lamb vrs goat. Goat is mainly a new world food source for central/south americas and all of the caribbean islands, while sheep/lamb is more of old world food sources. BUT both are widely available world wide and like I said one of the oldest recorded animal eaten for many or years.

btw: Also any suppliers of foods for latino/carib/africans would have sources for fresh and frozen goats, so check with these outlets.

11. noway

noway

more baa baa Baa as in lamb

here's a simple stewed lamb with pita bread.

The meats from the neck and sirloin are good choices

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as usual you need to refrig in milk prior to seasoning

[​IMG]

White columbiano peas

[​IMG]

and the final meal

[​IMG]

Buen provecho

12. tavo

tavo