B31.3, B31.3, Sec. IX, Anyone Use Them?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ede, Oct 23, 2010.

1. ede

ede

i'm looking for training material especially questions. anyone have or know of anything. i also suspect i'll be lucky to find someone here who knows what i'm talking about. thanks in advance.

edit, should be B31.1, B31.3, and Sec. IX

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

My company is on the B31 committee, but pretty much all I can tell you (I'm an IT geek, not an ME) is that just getting a copy of that standard will cost you a ****load of money (about $350) unless you happen to know someone on the standards committee (companies on the standards committees pay peanuts for these to distribute to their customers).

Wondering what you're looking for re: training material? I can talk to the guy who holds our seat on Monday if you have any specific questions.

3. ede

ede

i have the books. AWS does an endorsement for the CWI or a stand alond certificate if you're not a CWI. i've been told by quite a few i'm pretty good with B31.3 and Sec. IX, and B31.1 but only becasue they don't know it. i'm taking a class week after this, no test and no certification. i'll do the AWS endorsment test in January but AWS doesn't offer a prep course and far as i know no one else does either. i also have no idea what the book of knowledge is for the test, other than it covers b31.1, B31.3, and Sec. IX. i figure i'll blow the test and the 300$ test fee. but i'll get an idea what's on the test to look at for the next time i take it. a friend of mine gave me some study material she uses for her company but it isn't much. ASME has a couple self study programs on CD but even for a member (and I am a member) the cost is around 800$.

4. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

I'll see what I can find out from the engineer who holds our seat... I 'll also talk to our QA manager about the training materials he has for our welding inspectors (and if I can distribute it to you).

5. ede

ede

Zak, sent you a PM with my email. thanks

6. samuse

samuse

Are you trying to get the 510 or 570?

What are you wanting the ASME material for?
    If you can't find the books, I'm pretty sure the place I work for sells 'em.
    PM me if you want me to find out.

If you can make it to South Texas, the place I work for has a school that offers:

API 510, 570 &653
    CWI
    MT PT
    RTFI

And probably more.

7. ede

ede

570 and 510 might be in the future but for now i'm working on B31,1, B31,3. and Sec IX endorsement from AWS for my CWI. taking a class first week of November at Real Education in Pascaqula, MS for B31,1, B31,3. and Sec IX . it's just a class, no test or anything. as far as i know no one offers a prep class for the AWS ASME endorsement and not found out anything about the test. as it stands now i'll take the AWS test pretty much blind and consider the first try information gathering and take it again.

what i'm looking for is either self study material or test questions based on the 3 codes. reading the codes don't really do much good compared to looking a answer to a question up.

samsue who do you work for, if you can tell it here?