B-17 Flights

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CarRamRod, Feb 7, 2010.

1. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

Anybody here ever fly on a B-17 or B-24 recently? I just recieved an email from the Collings Foundation and it seems interesting but expensive for the amount of time spent in the air. It $425 for 30 minutes but it is a ride in a piece of history. I see they offer UH-1E Huey rides too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. loki993

loki993

Id love to, but never have. I would understand it could be expensive considering that there only about 8 or 9 flying examples left in the world. Pretty amazing considering how many they built.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

It was $400/flight when the C.A.F. was in Billings, MT a few years ago. HH

4. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

I can understand why the price is so high. Those four engines burn so much fuel per hour, and the cost of maintenance is out of sight. I too wish I could afford to take a ride on one.

5. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

My late father was a Major in the Army Air Corps and a B-29 pilot. There is a Confederate Air Force group in Galveston Texas and I called them to see if a flight could be aranged. There is only one B-29 still flying and it was in Dallas at the time so I didn't get to set it up for Dad after all. The expence would have been worth it to secure him a ride in one after all these years. It would have meant the world to him.

After he passed away I regretted not trying harder to make it happen. If you are in that postion please don't hesitate to go all out to make it happen. I didn't do it and it is a thing that will always haunt me.

6. scratchy wilson

scratchy wilson Silver Member

Maintenance, fuel, insurance..........think it's $1000/hr.

Got a ride on a P51 late last summer. One hell of a machine.

I didn't do so well....:puking:

7. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

My wife and I flew in the Aluminum Overcast several years ago. It was pricey, but worth every penny. My wifes father was a top turrent gunner/engineer on a B-17. She got to ride in his battle station. She does not shed tears very often, but she sure did that day. It was a very moving experience for the both of us. He did not talk of his time at Polebrook very often. He flew on 22 different B-17's. His crew stayed about the same until about the last 8 or so missions, when Pilot and Co-pilot and several other crew members where changed. Sorry I got off subject, I tend to rant on when I think about him.
    That was one heck of a ride, and one that I will never forget.
    My 2nd favorite aircraft is the P-51 Mustang. Saw one of the 2 that Jack Rousch has restored, What a beautiful aircraft!!:wow:

8. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

Wow, I would love to hitch a ride in a P-51. :puking:would be worth it.

9. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Heck just a Bell 206B is like $700 an hr. I be honest but I would give my left nut to fly in the nose of a B-17 for a day. The most famous bomber of WWII.

10. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

I am sorry that it could not be worked out. I'm sure that he would have enjoyed that. The Confederate Air Force has quite a fleet now. If you ever get the chance I would encourage you to not pass it up.

11. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

I just saw they offer P-51 flight training for $2200-$3200 for up to an hour. I realize why it's expensive it's just a shock to the wallet.

12. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

delete, double post

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  13. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

Would you believe 3 days ago I was walking down my drive way to get my mail when I hear this odd , powerful sound. I look up and for the love of god a B-17 is flying right over my house and banking hard to the south to run along the beach.:wow::wow: I am a huge WW2 buff (hence I cc everyday my SA Gov't GI 1911 in OD) so I immed recognized it. What a sight.

14. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Wow, the price has gone up!! Twenty years ago (if you already had a pilots license) for only about 5 grand you could get enough flight instruction to get a legal check-out in the P-51 with a sign off in your log book, and they even finished up the deal with one 30 minute solo flight in the thing.

15. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

Tom Cruise has two of them.

16. scratchy wilson

scratchy wilson Silver Member

If I remember right that ride is on LadyJo, a dual control P-51c(think it's YP-51c?)

17. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Not chillin’

I had the chance to go up in a P51-B at the last airshow I went to, but got skeered off by the price- $800, I think it was. But now, I wish I'd done it. Sure, it's $800, but how often do you get to do something like that? I used to be the biggest WWII aviation buff- I used to know the specs and stats of all of the greats- B17, P47, P51, ME262, FW190, all of them.

Maybe at the next airshow!

18. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Every once in a while the CAF comes to the Atlanta area offering the bomber rides, and I'm SO tempted each time. I'm an old airplane buff and it would be an experience of a lifetime, for me at least.

I used to work behind McCollum field, and walked across my parking lot and right up onto a taxiway when they arrived back once in the early 90's, they did low approaches and flyovers before landing. Sent chills up my spine, I just love the sound of radial engines.

19. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

I used to help maintain a B-17 for Evergreen Int. aviation and took a few rides on test flights. The tail gunner position was my favorite place to ride.

20. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

It says TP-51c, "BettyJane"