·
Formerly retired EE.
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
From Ducey's Facebook:

"Arizona is partnering with private sector health care providers and universities to ramp up access to #COVID19 diagnostic and antibody testing.

Sonora Quest announced it will offer antibody testing starting with 1,000 to 3,000 tests per day, and growing from there. Early next month, Sonora Quest plans to offer this testing to consumers without needing a provider’s order or insurance in Arizona.

Banner Health today opened a new drive-thru diagnostic testing site at the Arizona State Fairgrounds. This is Banner’s largest testing site and can accommodate those who do not have vehicles.

Starting this week: with the support of $3.5M from the state, the University of Arizona will provide antibody tests to 250,000 health care workers and first responders.

The Arizona Department of Health Services in coordination with health care partners today launched the #AZTestingBlitz with the goal of testing 10-20 THOUSAND Arizonans every Saturday for three consecutive weeks, beginning May 2.

Walgreens is offering drive-thru testing that allows Arizonans to take the test without getting out of their vehicles. Walgreens pharmacists will oversee self-administration of the test to limit the spread of the virus.

Arizona State University began drive-thru testing earlier this month for first responders and hospital personnel.

Arizona is grateful to all our health care and university partners who are working with us to respond to #COVID19. These efforts continue to be crucial to slowing the spread of COVID-19 and increasing certainty as we look to economic recovery! #AZTogether #TheArizonaWay"

250k antibody tests for healthcare workers and first responders in addition to 1,000 to 3,000 per day for regular joes. We should know pretty quick how much of our state have already had it.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Is it known what/how much 'identifying personal information' is, in turn, provided to which-all entities?
No, I'm not paranoid; yes, I have non-fantasy concerns as reason for asking.

Reactions: IAhunter

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I would still be cautious. No sense in opening it up just to shut it back down again because of a larger outbreak.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
I would still be cautious. No sense in opening it up just to shut it back down again because of a larger outbreak.
Flu-like illness data also captures COVID cases as the symptoms are flu-like. AZ has had a sharp decline over 5 weeks straight. At no point have our hospitals had more than 10% of beds filled by COVID patients. I think it's time to open up. We clearly "flattened the curve" if that was and still is the intent.

20200428_084407.jpg

·
Registered
21,819 Posts
Flu-like illness data also captures COVID cases as the symptoms are flu-like. AZ has had a sharp decline over 5 weeks straight. At no point have our hospitals had more than 10% of beds filled by COVID patients. I think it's time to open up. We clearly "flattened the curve" if that was and still is the intent.

View attachment 748036
Well beyond time to open up.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
All I know is now that the 110° (+/-) heat is settling in..... and the pools are still "closed"?

Anybody that's lived here through a typical summer knows that is very likely to create far more problems and losses than limited numbers at a time, "social distanced" people being able to get some relief.

Oh yeah....if the Walmarts really think that lining up people to wait for an hour or more to enter and shop - waiting OUTSIDE, in the bare, 110+° beating sun - I somehow doubt that the bosses of various cities' FD/EMS/EMT departments are going to put up with THAT ridiculous noise.

It's about as realistic as expecting people to wait in line outside the stores, completely IN the elements, when it's 40+° below, in the middle of a stinking blizzard.
:mad:

Reactions: Doc Holliday

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Well, 2 more weeks of shutdowns. Then It'll be 2 more weeks. Everything has been "2 more weeks" since early march.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am a little surprised. I figured that Gov. Ducey would let the stay at home order expire. Doesn't matter to us either way, being in our 60's we will continue to keep a low profile.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I thought I heard him talking about letting businesses open up that are by appointment and have small numbers of people open up in a week or so. Is that like salons and barbers? Elective surgeries are okay now or soon too aren’t they? I didn’t hear the beginning of the talk, so I may have misinterpreted what I heard. It hasn’t been nearly as bad here as other places.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
May 15 now. He will decide then what to do on opening. My local restaurant says they will probably open June 1. That’s when the federal unemployment expires. Funny how that timing happens.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still...

Arizona has fared extremely well. 300 deaths. Arizona, according the the NTSA has averaged 85 traffic deaths a month over the last two years. More people have died in car wrecks since Jan in AZ that from Covid-19.
Thinking more about if the governor would lighten restrictions. 55 deaths since Sunday.

The decrease in available ICU beds is more troubling than the increase in deaths.

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/...edium=cpc&utm_campaign=covid19&utm_term=death

This is what really matters. If ICU beds get full, then death rates are likely to double or worse.

Note that the total number of ICU beds in AZ has increased from 1200 at the end of March to 2200 today and the percentage of open beds has continually gotten worse. Forget finding the beds and a place to put them, where are we going to find the staff to take care of more patients?

Ugly thing is most of these occupied beds are holding a Covid-19 patient, and odds are that half of them could die. That would mean total AZ Covid-19 deaths over 1000 within the next 3 weeks. No way on earth is Gov Ducey relaxing the lockdown if the number of deaths triple in May. AZ is turning into a purple state and Ducey knows his future is politically toast if he is seen as having blown this.

I take it back my hopeful prediction. June or maybe July is looking more and more likely for AZ to reopen. This does depend on the results in the South. If the Southern states that are reopening, don't get slapped with a huge uptick in cases then perhaps we might be able to reopen by the end of May. If ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts