close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AZ CCW Training Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Grand Canyon Glockers' started by wyoguy, Jan 21, 2008.

1. wyoguy

wyoguy Glockaholic

Hello Everyone:

It looks like I will have to change my user name from "wyoguy" to "azguy" or something - I'll be moving to Phoenix in early February.

I currently have my Wyoming permit and, thankfully, I won't actually be "moving" right away, I will just be traveling to Phoenix for work until our home here in Wyoming sells. So, it looks like I can carry on my Wyoming permit until I become an AZ resident.

In the meantime, I'd like to get my AZ permit squared away, so I don't have a lapse once I am a resident. I'm looking for suggestions on training courses/providers in the West Valley area.

I've been carrying for about 10 years now and I keep my skills sharp and stay current on legal issues, etc. So, an inexpensive course or provider would work for me. However, I am willing to pay a bit more if there is a real benefit, so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

The AZ CCW lesson plan, test and firearms familiarity materials are all mandated by the state. Outside of price, not a whole lot of difference between 95% of the courses out there. Ther'll be differences in setting and personalities, but that can be hard to quantify. You'll find very few people who have experience with more than one provider, so comparing reviews is hard.

If you're looking for the upper 1% of courses, go to www.gunsite.com and look at their CCW offering.

(The other 4% of courses are taught by mall-ninja dweebs. You'll still get the CCW, but it'll hurt. If you go somewhere with a storefront, you'll eliminate a lot of that.)

Long-winded, I know.

3. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I just took my class this past weekend in Flagstaff. If you are willing to drive that far, I would highly recommend Citadel Firearms Training. The instructor is a retired Marine Major with combat experience. He is now an assistant principal at a local high school. Very nice guy. He makes the 8 hours in the classroom fun. I do know he has another class on February 16th, and it's $100.

After the classroom portion, you take a 30-question test, which is pretty much common sense and some state law. Following that, you go to the range for some trigger time. We shot some training strings from 3, 5 and 10 yard lines. The state mandated qualification course of fire is 5 rounds, slow fire, from the 5 yard line, then the same thing from the 10 yard line. You shoot an IDPA cardboard target. ANY hit on the target counts. You have to get 70%.

4. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

5. fofinger

fofinger NRA Member

6. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

There's a fella named Tim Forshey that teaches the ccw class at the scottsdale gun club.

He's an attorney, and an avid (and damn good) shooter.

I've taken several classes by Tim, and we've attended another Training Class together.

Can't say enough about him.

7. ChukGlk19

ChukGlk19

Glendale Community College has a fantastic class. I took my CCW with a gentleman by the name of Jerry McCown. He was a fantastic instructor and has been involved in LE for almost 40 years. If you need to get in touch with him use the links the gentleman posted above. He also works with/at gunsite. Gunsite is the best and very expensive for classes after the CCW. Either one would be fine. If you still have questions get in touch with Jerry seriously the guy knows his stuff and would gladly give you the very best information.

8. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Get a non-res Florida permit. It covers 28 states (AZ included) and is good for 5 years.

9. Krueshoot

Krueshoot

Could be wrong but believe if you are an Arizona resident you must carry on an Arizona CCW permit. Check with DPS before carrying on an out of state permit. being an Arizona res.

10. slicers63

slicers63

I will second or third Glendale Community College. I have taken several firearms courses there and will recommend it. Excellent training for the money.

11. alky350

alky350

12. Sam Spade

Nope, you're right.

AZ honors non-resident permits for visitors, or those just settling in, but once you establish AZ residency, you need to carry on an AZ permit, drive on an AZ license, and so on.

13. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

Can anyone recommend a CCW class in either Sierra Vista area or Tucson?

Thanky

14. TheVeryIdea

TheVeryIdea Cowbell Glocker

The recommendations for GCC are strong enough for me to enroll and take its CCW class. Someone in this thread sang the praises of Jerry McCown, but he's not scheduled to teach a CCW class at GCC until August, and I want to get mine in the next session. Is there any word on Hauserman, who also teaches at GCC?

15. Sam Spade

Lori was an adjunct instructor at Gunsite and for H&K International (IIRC). She taught a couple of AZ POST classes I attended. Very by-the-book, understands both black letter law and the politics that go into Maricopa County prosecutions.

16. TheVeryIdea

TheVeryIdea Cowbell Glocker

Thanks Sam. Also, I was in error in my previous post: I checked online and Jerry McCown is scheduled to teach the May 30-31 class.

17. Lone_Wolfe

I ended up going to BlackWolf CCW and can recommend them. Good class.

18. slicers63

slicers63

Hauserman - I took a class from her and would recommend her. I have taken several firearm classes at GCC and also at Frontsite and Gunesite. The quality of the instructors and training at GCC is excellent and the price is right.

19. Klondike

Klondike

Good to hear you recommend them. I'll be taking their course this weekend.

I wasn't sure if my Alaska CCW would still work here since I'm an AK resident by paperwork, but I now live in Arizona. I'm in the AF stationed at Luke and I don't know how the rules work for military.

At least I can learn the AZ laws.:cop:

20. Lone_Wolfe

You're doing the smart thing by getting the AZ CCW. Also take yourself and 12 bucks down to the Drivers License Dept and get an AZ ID card with a local address. (on post is fine) Makes buying a gun here a snap. I did just that and bought yet another Smitty about 45 minutes ago. :supergrin:

I'm at Ft. Huachuca

John Hansen does the class in his living room to keep the cost down, so it's a very relaxed environment. But very informative!