Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, April 16, 2010, <st2:personname w:st="on">Governor <st1:sn w:st="on">Brewer</st1:sn></st2:personname> signed SB 1108, the AzCDL-requested Constitutional Carry bill, into law. <st2:place w:st="on"><st2:state w:st="on">Arizona</st2:state></st2:place> now becomes the third state to not require written permission from the government for law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to bear arms discretely. Because <st2:state w:st="on">Arizona</st2:state> is the first state in the <st2:country-region w:st="on"><st2:place w:st="on">U.S.</st2:place></st2:country-region> with a large urban population to take this significant step, this is a watershed moment for the entire country.

AzCDL has been working towards this moment since we formed 5 years ago. Constitutional Carry has always been one of our primary goals. Every success over the last 5 years has been pursued with today’s historic occasion in mind. However, having a goal is meaningless without the support and activism of over 3,000 committed members. The citizens of <st2:place w:st="on"><st2:state w:st="on">Arizona</st2:state></st2:place>, along with the citizens of other states that follow in our footsteps, owe YOU, the members of AzCDL, a debt of gratitude.

If you don’t have a permit, don’t start carrying concealed just yet. The law won’t become effective until 90 days after “Sine Die” when the Legislature officially adjourns. Since they are still working through a slew of bills, we don’t expect Sine Die anytime soon. In past years, the effective date of bills has been around September.

CCW permits still have a purpose. You’ll need one to streamline gun purchases, to carry in states that honor <st2:state w:st="on"><st2:place w:st="on">Arizona</st2:place></st2:state> permits and for carrying concealed in establishments that serve alcohol. And, the training you receive to obtain a permit is an added bonus. Along with restoring your right to bear arms, SB 1108 added additional training opportunities for obtaining a permit. NRA classes and training from places like Front Sight and Gunsite will be able to qualify as permit training.

If you decide not to obtain a CCW permit, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t train. The heaviest thing about wearing a firearm is the responsibility that comes with it. Take that money that you save on permit and renewal fees and spend it on quality training as often as you can. Lead by example – the world is watching.

·
Pro-Open Curry
3,904 Posts
Snip from an e-mail sent by a legislative liaison:

A few other points on SB1108 from Gary Christensen, of the Arizona Rifle & Pistol Assn:

This new law will NOT supersede or eliminate the CCW program.
If someone HAS a CCW permit, or acquires one in the future, they MUST carry the permit WHENEVER carrying concealed. As a permit holder, they cannot ignore this standing requirement, even though a person without a permit can do so. It's lopsided, but that is the way it is.

Restaurants/bars which do NOT post, are open only to CCW permit holders WHEN carrying concealed. The new law does NOT extend for everyone in those establishments.

Everyone is required, while carrying concealed, to honestly answer a law enforcement officer's question if asked about having weapons. Failure to answer, or answer honestly can result in Class 1 Misdemeanor charges.

Expect Alan Korwin www.gunlaws.com to post a thorough summary shortly.

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
Snip from an e-mail sent by a legislative liaison:
That's a little weird... but I imagine the folks who continue to get permits, will be those who want to use it for the reciprocity.

Are people w/ Permits allowed to open carry?

·
Registered
493 Posts
awesome news. congrats AZ!

it seems a little odd to me that if you get a permit you're required to carry it on order to carry concealed.

concealed carry doesn't require a permit, unless you have a permit...

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
awesome news. congrats AZ!

it seems a little odd to me that if you get a permit you're required to carry it on order to carry concealed.

concealed carry doesn't require a permit, unless you have a permit...
The law says if you are issued a permit by the state, you need to carry it when you carry your concealed firearm. Until they change that aspect of the law, it still stands.

Maybe the new law should have said "...by the way, those with permits can now put them away as you are no longer required to carry the permit with you." But it didn't.

·
Massive Member
26,945 Posts
The law says if you are issued a permit by the state, you need to carry it when you carry your concealed firearm. Until they change that aspect of the law, it still stands.

Maybe the new law should have said "...by the way, those with permits can now put them away as you are no longer required to carry the permit with you." But it didn't.
Seems to me, if you can legally CC without a permit, then you are legally carrying concealed under that law. The only reason you needed a permit before was because it was illegal to carry concealed without one.

If you're relying on the permit (such as restaurants that serve alcohol) then you need the permit on you. Because it's still illegal to CC in that case without the permit.

You don't need a permit to allow you to do something that is already legal without that permit.

I'm not a lawyer, and that makes sense, which is why it is probably wrong. But I'd think any competent attorney should be able to fight that and win. Unless stated explicitely in the legislation, obviously the new law supercedes the requirement for a permit, and thus the requirement to have the permit on you when carrying in places permitted without permits.

Randy

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Seems to me, if you can legally CC without a permit, then you are legally carrying concealed under that law. The only reason you needed a permit before was because it was illegal to carry concealed without one.

If you're relying on the permit (such as restaurants that serve alcohol) then you need the permit on you. Because it's still illegal to CC in that case without the permit.

You don't need a permit to allow you to do something that is already legal without that permit.

I'm not a lawyer, and that makes sense, which is why it is probably wrong. But I'd think any competent attorney should be able to fight that and win. Unless stated explicitely in the legislation, obviously the new law supercedes the requirement for a permit, and thus the requirement to have the permit on you when carrying in places permitted without permits.

Randy
Yes, I don't believe AZ will arrest permit holders who don't carry their permits in the future. Probably won't even be asked to produce a permit. Nevertheless when I visit AZ, I will come with my recognised permits. I like to abide by the letter of the law rather than the spirit when they are in conflict. My guess is they will amend the appropriate section of the law accordingly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.