Awesomest sights?? TFOs?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hungrylikethewolf99, Nov 14, 2010.

1. hungrylikethewolf99

hungrylikethewolf99

We've been talking on another thread about a project gun I'm hoping to build (longslide Glock in 9mm and .357sig). I'm also wondering about sights. I want the brightest, most noticeable possible sights fore and aft. I'm really certain that means fiber-optics. Thoughts on that?

I *might* want to carry this gun sometimes during some times of the year, and might want to have it on the nightstand (more likely), so I've been considering TFO sights (tritium fiber-optic, where the tritium glow shines up through the fiber optic tube). Anyone have experience with these sights? I've heard raving reviews, and also heard that the fiber optic insert will pop out on some of them...

I'm looking for the very awesomest sights, essentially, so if the TFOs do what they're supposed to, it might be them. One thing that's definitely a requisite for any sights for me: it really bugs me when there's a tritium insert/fiber optic mounted in a front sight with some metal over the top of the bright part. I'd really like the fiber optic part to be the very tip-top point of the sight (because that's the part I try to look at when I shoot), so I don't want a big metal plate over the top of the bright part. That rules out some brands of fiber-optics.

Also, anyone have experience with these Goshen Hex-sites? I might consider trying it out - just seeing if I could turn in significantly better scores on IPSC courses with them. Anyone tried something like this?

Thanks!

2. Q400

Q400

Don't know about the inserts poping out but of those I had installed on 3 Glocks one insert fractured and the other 2 lost the tritium on the same pistol, on another all 3 inserts had no tritium left in them. The last one still appears ok. I dont think these sights will take a lot of knocking around, IE banging around from being carried. I like the concept but not happy with the end results when the night sights are needed, these were only put on 6 months ago. Have gone to Meprolights. Just my thoughts.

3. hungrylikethewolf99

hungrylikethewolf99

Wow - they sound maybe not so reliable. Thanks for your report Q400.

Don't you think shooting the gun (and the slide moving back and forth) would knock the sights around more than carrying them? I mean maybe you carry yours while you jump out of moving trains or something :tongueout:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. troysglock

troysglock Member

I like the idea of them. I have had two sets and eventually took them off, as the front sight kept loosening under the abuse of drawing during IDPA. Put Trijicons on and never looked back.

5. pens-66

pens-66

I have had 5 different model Glock's all of them got TFO's. I absolutely love them. I have never had a problem with any of them. I have them on my current CCW G19 which is carried every day and also use it for competition. Since I have first started using them 4 friends have also switched over to them and not a problem with theirs either. I wouldn't hestiate to get them...Once you try them I'm sure you will think the same.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. diode

diode

Dang, sorry about your luck with the TFO system, I have mine on a G30 at 5000 rounds and have nothing but good luck with them. 3 years and counting and very happy with the results, jb

7. jmira

jmira

I have had 3 sets of TFOs replaced so far on my XDm. The first 2 times, I had a smith bang the sights out and we mailed them back to TruGlo. The third time I sent the slide directly to TruGlo directly and they just replaced the inserts according to the invoice.

8. JRS

JRS

I have them on my g23, and while do they shine great in any light, my front fiber optic tube does spin and is sticking out the slightest bit, but hasn't fallen out. I'm thinking of switching them out, but mainly because I want contrast from back to front, so maybe some meps with orange rears.

They just take me too long to line up if I'm pretending to be in a hurry.

9. jolly roger

jolly roger

Trijicons for me only.

10. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

If you are building an open pistol wouldn't a red dot be the way to go? I'm asking out of curiosity, I have never competed and don't know the rules.

11. jamaicanj

jamaicanj

12. Q400

Q400

No, for jumping out of anything, too old for that. The tritium should never just leak out and the vials should not fracture during normal use, if that happens they need to re-think the manufracturing process. That being said this is the second time I have found the tritium to have escaped, bought a new HK with night sights a few years back and all three dots were dead. Trijicons the dealer got a replacement pistol for me.