"Away" on Netflix

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bren, Sep 16, 2020.

1. MintyS

MintyS

My wife loved it. In my opinion it was medicore.

Come on. Real time and private phone calls from space to earth? Okay. A crew that has been training together for two years for this great mission (pretty sure under some psychiatric supervision), but at the very beginning it is clear that the russian-chinese coalition doesn't trust the captain and are close to mutiny? Motocrossing daughter suffers an accident! Who could have foreseen this! The captain is crying again? Recovered dad returns work to save her wife in space? Drilling through the hull? After measuring it with a roll tape? Collecting ice crystals in a sack? Boyfriend leaves the house through the window, the press waiting outside on the great morning of the landing - yet no one cares? Stop overthinking and it will be enjoyable.

My unforeseeable predictions for season 2: First sex on Mars! Maybe even the first baby on Mars! Guess what: that would be - the first Martian! No life-saving surgery yet so: First surgery on Mars! First heroic death on Mars! First a sandstorm and/or asteroid impact survival on Mars! And I bet, the water purifier is going to break down again on Mars!

techiej likes this.
  2. Ftttu

Ftttu

After reading this thread last night, I watched the first 3 shows last night. At this point, I'm probably going to finish season one, but I just really can't stand how Hollywood in general and Netflix in particular hard push social justice.

I'm not watching this for any of that SJ crappe or the general drama. I'm just watching it for my interest in space travel. Also, I can stand Hillary Swank, but her cuteness as the next karate kid surely didn't transfer to later life. Could be worse, though.

3. fg17

fg17

I like liked it. A lot of crying for professional astronauts.

Sometimes I hope they colonize mars's and 3/4 of the population leaves earth. I'll stay here.:D

4. scattershot

scattershot

Me, too.

fg17 likes this.
  5. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I'm watching it now, it's pretty good; mostly I am just waiting for Stranger Things and GLOW to come back....

6. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

The whole water recovery system debacle was kinda stupid but otherwise not bad. The religious overtones and anti-communism really surprised me given the current trend to the left.

7. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

8. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I wasn't watching based on the trailer looking like a lot of drama on the ground. You made it sound interesting, but then another person makes it seem like a lot of drama on the ground.

9. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Perhaps it’s interesting drama on the ground? :D

10. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    I'm only two or three episodes in, still not sure what my opinion will be.

11. nerr

nerr

It's probably just me. I'm halfway through and can't watch any more. Seems like the crew spends half its time fighting, crying, and trying to micromanage home situations. If that's how a real crew will react, then I put our chances of making it pretty low.

It's probably realistic. I know there have been earth-bound simulations of people cooped up for just a year where the people got loopy and depressed. We may have to develop better happy drugs before we go.

12. sourdough44

sourdough44

No more Netflix for me/us, finally cancelled, don’t miss it.

13. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Hey, having been stationed in Korea and having rode the rail system, I liked "Alive", just needed a little rice and kimchi, to go with it!

14. techiej

techiej

I fast forwarded through all of the earth side drama...made it watchable and only 1/3 of the length to watch.