close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Award Winning White clam Sauce Recipe

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Caretaker, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

Another Recipe that been handed down the road from relatives from the "OLD COUNTRY " of ITALY....:

WHITE CLAM SAUCE ITALIANO

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 ½ CUPS SMALL NECK CLAMS (CUT IN HALF) or 18 OUNCES OF CANNED CLAMS with CLAM JUICE.
    • 6 CLOVES OF FRESH GARLIC CHOPPED COARSLEY
    • ½ CUP VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
    • 2 TBL. SPOONS FRESHLY CHOPPED SHALLOTS.
    • 1 ½ CUPS CLAM JUICE (SUBSTITUTE with CHICKEN BROTH).
    • ½ TO 1 CUP WHITE ITALIAN DRY TABLE WINE (ANYTHING YOU LIKE TO DRINK IS GOOD TO COOK WITH.)
    • 4 TBL SPOONS FRESHLY CHOPPED FLAT ITALIAN PARSLEY
    • 2 tsp. DRY OREGANO OR 1 TBL SPOON FRESHLY CHOPPED
    • 1 tsp. SALT or AMOUNT DESIRED.
    • 2 tsp. BLACK PEPPER (for SPICIER/HOTTER SAUCE I RECOMMEND 2 tsp. CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES).
    • ½ STICK OF BUTTER (4 TBL. SPOONS)
    • 2 TBL. SPOONS FLOUR
    • 1 LB. BARILLA LINGUINI OR THIN SPAGETTI COOKED TO DESIRED TENDERNESS AND DRAINED.
    • FRESHLEY GRATED PARMESIAN CHEESE (OPTIONAL).

COOKING DIRECTIONS:

• IN LARGE MEDIUM/HIGH TEMP HEATED SKILLET, ADD ½ CUP OLIVE OIL AND CHOPPED SHALLOTS. SAUTE FOR 3 TO 4 MINUTES.
    • ADD CHOPPED GARLIC. SAUTE TILL GARLIC TURNS SLIGHTLY GOLDEN.
    • ADD CLAM MEAT ONLY (SAVING JUICE TIL LATER IN COOKING PROCESS.) HEAT FOR 2 MINUTES.
    • ADD 2 TBL. SPOONS FLOUR. SAUTE TILL COOKED THROUGH TO 3 TO 4 MINUTES. STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
    • ADD CLAM JUICE or CHICKEN BROTH AND WHITE WINE.
    • BRING TO STEADY SIMMERING LIGHT BOIL.
    • ADD ALL YOUR REMAINING SPICES INCLUDING OREGANO, PARSLEY, SALT, AND PEPPER OR CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES.
    • COOK PASTA IN WATER WITH 2 TBL. SPOONS OLIVE OIL AND 2 TBL. SPOONS SALT. DRAIN THOROUGHLY.
    • ADD COOKED PASTA TO SKILLET AND STIR IN.
    • THEN ADD ½ STICK BUTTER AND GRATED PARMESIAN (OPTIONAL) TO SKILLET AND SERVE ON PLATTER IMMEDIATELY WHILE HOT AND FRESH.
    • OPTIONAL: GOES GREAT WITH W2ARMED ITALIAN CRUSTY BREAQD AND BUTTER, OR HOT ROLLS WHICHEVER DESIRED. GREAT WITH GLASS OF WHITE WINE AND TOSSED CAESAR SALAD.

Bon Appetito.
    Kevin;f ;f ;f

2. USMCSKI

USMCSKI Sgt USMC 97-02

Have you ever used scallops instead of clams with this recipe?
    It sounds good with clams but I have a 5 lb bag of scallops that I need to use up.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

I am sure you copuld for they are very similiar in taste and function as one another just wouldnt make a large pot of it i would make it for a meal and thats it for the soul reason is that clams hold up ok for a day or two and even reheating and all of leftovers for clam sauce. but scallops can get very rubbery and dry and lose some of their flavor so yes yu could just make a small amount enouhg for dinner for yu and whomever yur sharing it with and i think youwill have great results.

let me know how it comes out...
    best of luck.
    kevin:) ;f