close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Awaiting the inevitable

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by DEUCE-DOBE, Feb 3, 2005.

1. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Family Cat not coming home...

I was almost 16 years old when my older brother brought home Ambrose... an orange male cat he got from someone announcing 'free kittens'. My brother went to the person's house to check them out. Being kittens, they were running around, doing their thing... except one. The little orange ball of fir, smaller than the rest, that my brother noticed was jumping and nipping on the owner's large German Shepherd dog, trying to dominate it. Of course the GSD was taking it in stride... so, my brother chose 'the little orange one' because he was feisty. Ambrose was immediately accepted into the family of HUMANS... the two other cats, Misty & Chanel, both female, weren't too sure.

Of course, eventually, they got used to his antics and domineering personality, as he quickly became the 'boss cat'. This was over 15 years ago.

In the interim, Ambrose was known to like a good fight... with PEOPLE! We'd put on a sweat shirt, pull the sleeves over our hands and forearms, and 'wrestle' with him... he LOVED it! He was a VERY TOUGH cat.

Through the hard years of my adolescence, bad girlfriends, and struggles finding a job after college, he was there. That cat for so many years, heard all my troubles and plans. While attending graduate school, I would place a small stool next to my desk and he would sit there for HOURS watching me type on the computer. When I had the flu or was just feeling crappy, Ambrose would be there, a loyal friend indeed. As time went on, he witnessed the passing of his two older sisters, one by one, they passed away.

Before the passing of Chanel, his one sister, he did something extraordinary. My parent's attached garage was a favorite spot for the cats to relax... mainly because my father had constructed a screen-door/wall across the entire garage door... the cats could sit out there and enjoy the warm summer breezes in Buffalo, NY.

Chanel, one of Ambrose's sisters, was my Dad's cat. She meant the world to him. One night, while my mother and I watched TV, there came a loud thumping and thrashing sound from the garage, then a shriek and grumbling. Before I could reach the garage, Ambrose had already run down the stairs from one of the bedrooms and was out there... a great struggle ensued, which lasted no more than a few seconds... the noises I can't explain. I reached the garage, turned on the light, and there were Ambrose and his sister... Ambrose standing over her, puffed-up and tense. Chanel, exhausted and with large chunks of fur pulled out. The screen door/wall had a gash in it about the size of a basketball, and Chanel's removed fur was intertwined in the meshing. I approached them, and noticed that Ambrose had a TON of odd-looking fur and some blood in his mouth... and more of the same fur on the floor (all cats had long hair, this hair was short). My mother grabbed Chanel and I went outside to figure-out what had happened. Ambrose stood there.

About 20 yards away, under a truck, was a racoon, of at least 25 pounds in weight. It, with a bunch of fur missing on one side, and limping as it took-off when I approached.

Apparently, the racoon attacked Chanel and tried pulling her through the hole in the screen... that is until her scrappy, tough, younger brother handed a good whoppin' to the racoon. Ambrose literally saved her life. -- Ambrose weighed 10 pounds at his heaviest. His full name was Ambrose Deon (meaning: Immortal Conquerer). He lived-up to his name that night.

I moved out of Buffalo in the Fall of 2001, shortly after 9/11, to begin my job in law enforcement. On return trips back to NY, Ambrose would be there greeting us. He usually shied away from people who didn't live in the house... but he always greeted my wife and I. Although he was over 15 years old, he'd still like a good-ole' wrestling match... tough to the end.

Now, as my wife and I prepare to head back to NY to visit family this coming weekend (its now Thursday), I learned that Ambrose has really taken a turn for the worse and is going to the vet at this very moment, as I write this post.

We all know that he won't be coming home... and I have missed my chance to say goodbye to the 'little orange one', one last time.

I know I will see him when I pass, but for now, this hurts.

Thanks for reading.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh gosh, I don't know what to say but I can tell you that Ambrose will meet you at Rainbow Bridge one day. Right now, I am crying with you... He sounded like an amazing cat to save a sister from a raccoon! :) You and Ambrose's family are in my prayers ;1 ;w ;1 ;w ;1

3. DEUCE-DOBE

misskitty5077... wanna know something odd? After reading your kind words, I noticed that your screen name "misskitty" was the name of ANOTHER cat our family had WAY BACK when I was about knee-high! Weird, huh?!?! Yep, parents named her "miss kitty".

It is so difficult dealing with the passing of a pet/friend... after learning of this last night, I just looked at my 1 year old Dobe (who likes cats, by the way) and hugged him. He's a 90lb. pain in the butt; however, I love that dog as a son.

I talked to my Dad just prior to my first post, and he was the one taking Ambrose in... my Dad's a real-life tough guy... yet very gentle, if you get my point. I could tell he was having a difficult time. Wish I was there.

Funny how in my line of work, you need to believe in yourself that you can 'do it all'... that you 'can't lose'... then, you find yourself helpless in a situation such as this.

4. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Oh I am just so heart sick over this thread.......

Your writing skills described Ambrose to a Tee, and I feel like I know him!!

I just absolutly hate making that final choice in a pet's life......it's not fair, it's just so hard.

There just are no words for what you and your family are going through right now, except to say: I am so, so sorry.

I hope your family gets another, and soon.......;1

5. mfackler

mfackler

;w ;1 ;w ;w ;1

Oh man. I am SO sorry. I know it's a bitter pill to swallow and I will be thinking of you, your family, and you beloved "Yellow One." All I can say right now is Thank-You for giving the cat a good life, thank you for making the right decision (though hard) for him in these last days.

If it truly is time may Ambrose RIP until reunited with "his people"

Mike

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

This is my Miss Kitty. I love her dearly. I found her when she was less than a week old so I am her mommy ;f I so dread the day that I loose her......
    [​IMG]

7. NightWolfe

NightWolfe Grumpy Glocker

sorry to hear that .. it really hurts to lose a pet .. one of my little critters isn't doing well either .. just kinda waiting for her to move on as well ...

I feel your pain .. be well and know they will be waiting for you ...

8. DEUCE-DOBE

First, let me give a big thank you to everyone that responded... support from anyone, in any form is always appreciated.

Ambrose Deon, "the immortal conquerer", 'the little orange one', died peacefully at a veternarian's office on February 3, 2004; he needed to be euthanized.

The main cause of his plight was NOT his heart... he was diagnosed with heart trouble when he was 4 years old... but he kept on going until yesterday.

What was found, was that he had fluid in his lungs and stomach that was causing him major discomfort.

I'm still shook-up over this, but I know that when we get back to Buffalo, NY tomorrow afternoon, and walk into my parent's house, it'll hit again. Especially when the inevitable happens: getting his fur all over you... he shedded like crazy, all the time, for over 15 years.

My brother called my wife and I, and left a message at our home yesterday... apparently, my Dad had taken this REALLY hard... to quote my brother: "it was like one of us died" (meaning one of his sons).

Before hitting "play" on the answering machine, I had let our Dobe, Deuce, in (he has his own destruction-proof SUITE during the day, encompassing 1/2 of our 2 car garage). He, as usual, was HYPER-excited to see me, boucing and running around... as I walked over and hit play, the message came across... Deuce LITERALLY STOPPED, and came over to me near the answering machine, put his front paws on the counter and leaned his crocodile-sized head on my shoulder, druel and all. I almost lost it.

I'm not superstitious, or anything like that, but this caught my attention. And on three seperate occassions throughout the evening, Deuce would stop what he was doing, and look up in the air, towards the ceiling, and concentrate on 'nothing'... as if he saw something. Without fail, if he 'sensed' something anywhere in the house, he'd go check it out... but last evening, he just paused and watched, tilting his head. My wife and I both got the 'chills'.

Anyway... just like he did over 15 years ago, my brother has already begun looking into "free kitten" ads once more. This time, I'll be home to go with him.

Rest in peace my dear friend Ambrose... I WILL see you again.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Duece was just using that 6th sense he has to comfort you.

My Miss Kitty does her best to comfort me when I am sick or nervous. I can suspect that I am getting sick based on how she clings to me.

Amazing how an animal can pick up on those things.

I put my Alf down about two years ago. He was a 19 1/2 year old toy poodle. He could have lived longer but he had arthritis and was hurting. Nothing eased his pain so I turned him loose. It was the hardest choice I ever made but after it was done, I never regretted it. I miss him so much......