close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Avondale dumps Glocks; tendency to jam

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by alien-Glocker, Jul 31, 2002.

1. alien-Glocker

alien-Glocker

OK--so why not repair the problem or does the Chief want new toys?

Despite rave reviews from other Valley law enforcement agencies, the Avondale Police Department is dumping its arsenal of Glock handguns, saying they are prone to jams that could jeopardize officers or the public.

"It's a significant problem," Police Chief Stephen MacKinnon said. "It was a safety issue for the public." Most of the department's .40-caliber semiautomatic Glock pistols were purchased 12 years ago.

LINK: http://arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0729wvGlock0729.html

Do they carry out public acutions in AZ?

2. TC Rider

TC Rider

This was being talked up a bit over at freerepublic.com.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/725481/posts

My thought was it sounded like bad extractors. Since they've had them 12 years, they would have been some of the first sold here.

Wonder if they ever cleaned them or had a Glock armorer look at them.

The consensus at FR was that the chief really wanted the Sig and his brother-in-law is a FFL dealer.

I would be interested in the yard sale if they still have their pre-ban magazines.

3. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    ;c

I don't know how that steel slide could be damaged like the article says, but I could be wrong....

I bought my G23 in '91. With the little maintenance Glocks require, it is still running strong. I ::think::: we replaced the original ejector back when as part of an upgrade.

;) ;c ;)

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Is your Chief fat? Mine is so fat that he doesn't even carry a gun. Funny thing is, he just decided that our 8 year old Beretta 96F's that work EVERY TIME THE TRIGGER IS PULLED are "worn out". Everyone loves the 96's because they remember how many problems we had with the S&W 6906's we used to have. When it was decided that the Berettas had to go and there was nothing we could do to stop it, he asked what gun we wanted to replace it with. About 60% wanted Glocks and the balance wanted new 96's. The fat bastard then decreed that we would be getting Sigs!!! Sig must be doing the Lewinski on these chiefs because there are just so many examples of departments inexplicably needing to suddenly switch to this gun that, while it works, most don't like. Glock has a program for agencies wherein the agency gives glock $200 and the old piece and gets a new one. Agencies around here do this every 5 years and are assured of "fresh" guns that require no retraining for a cheap price. That chief could outfit his entire agency with brandy-new glocks for 19K and spend the rest on training, but instead he has to spend 55K on sigs. I smell a big, fat, Polo shirt wearing rat that hasn't answered a radio call in 20 years. Interestingly, after insisting that the Berettas had to go, they just did a 180 because the mayor over estimated township revenues (ala Enron) and suddenly the Berettas are fine again!! I wonder where the chief is going to get his lewinsky from now?

6. Coug

Coug

When I went to Armorer School last year it was the gun and $80 for a new gun and 3x LE mags. If you had pre ban mags you got the new ones straight across. Chief said no to 357 Sig... -Coug

7. Glockslinger MI

Glockslinger MI Stylin' Member

My old G23 started to jam due to a bad extractor. Twenty bucks later, good as new!