close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AVG !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jack19512, Aug 8, 2006.

1. jack19512

jack19512

This is for anyone that uses the free edition of AVG. My reminder came up letting me know it was time to update my AVG. I updated just like always and it really screwed my computer up. I had to totally uninstall AVG to get back to normal. I don't know what happened but if anyone else has this trouble and knows what is wrong please post it if you would. Thanks

2. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

My upgrade happened last night without a hitch (I think). What kinda problems did you see after the upgrade?

3. jack19512

jack19512

I wasn't able to access the Internet or anything else, a box kept poping up saying wininet.dll was missing every time I tried doing anything. I completley removed AVG and everything was fine again.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

No probs for me..

IGF

5. jack19512

jack19512

I thought I would try AVG again. I downloaded and installed it and the same thing is happening. I had to remove AVG again to be able to use my computer.

This has only happened with the most recent updates, I haven't had a bit of trouble up until now. Maybe there is just something conflicting with AVG on my computer.

The only new downloads I have is Zone alarm since the last updates. I don't know if Zone alarm conflicts with AVG or not. :frown:

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm also using an up to date version of ZA, so I don't think thats it. I just downloaded it the other day. Didn't really need it, as I have a hardware firewall, but I figured why not.

IGF

7. jack19512

jack19512

It seems that AVG wanted to keep poping up and classifying a lot of things as a virus. Things that I knew were safe and not a virus. I am convinced it must be something the new updates don't like about something that is installed on my computer. Like I said I didn't have a bit of trouble until I downloaded the new updates.

8. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

I just ran the latest AVG update 268.10.8\413. It was a large program upgrade. No issues that i can detect yet.

9. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Hmm same here. Maybe it is detecting a threat? Try one of the online scanners and see if they come up with anything.

10. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Uh oh, look at this:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/wininet/

The "uh oh" was about this part:

Note: wininet.dll is a process which the Troj/Zlob-AO trojan tries to disguise itself as under the true process name of %systemroot%\mscornet.exe. This program is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

hmmmm...

Update 268.10.8/415 and still no problems. I don't think this is a conflict with AVG/ZoneAlarm.

The post I quoted would seem to explain it. Just another reason to always be behind a hardware firewall, with ZoneAlarm as a secondary defense, as opposed to a primary defense.

IGF

12. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Try avast! ("!" is part of the brand name, I'm not yelling)

13. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

AVG came out with some updates after the update of the new program.Two updates in one day even.That's is not common.Maybe the 2nd updates was to fix a problem or maybe they just had another important update the same day.They don't normally rush the updates for the free version though.It might be false positives but if your PC is infected it could have "good" files infected too.I would try the latest updates and see if it still detects infections in your PC.

14. jack19512

jack19512

I must have had a virus and AVG didn't detect it until the update. I like to format about every 6 months so I went ahead and did that and now no more problems.

15. jack19512

jack19512

Since the format I have a box that keeps poping up about every 5 minutes asking me if I want to install Adobe Flash Player 9. How do you stop these things from poping up if you don't want to install them? Thanks