close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AVG vs. AVAST

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RaiderRodney, Feb 17, 2006.

1. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Ok, I have seen several of you say you love Avast. I have been using AVG for probably about 5 years now and have to ask about it. What is better with Avast that AVG doesn't give me? I download my fair share of old files and junk and my son which is 12 also does with game mods, etc. I have yet to have a virus,etc. get through AVG and cause trouble. Is Avast lighter on your PC?

Convince me :)

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

When AVG first went from version 6.xxx to version 7.xxx there were some conflict issues.Program updates have seemed to fixed those.Avast is a huge program.Detection is about the same between the two.I find AntiVir better at detection.Avast may delete infected files a bit easier than AVG.Latest Avast seems to conflict with latest Zone Alarm firewall.AVG free has automatic updates and scans e-mail clients.Avast and AntiVir require the paid version to do this.AVG free also doesn't require renewing the free registration.They all seem to do about an equaul job keeping infections out.If there is an infected file I like to install AntiVir to remove it.AntiVir is about the fastest and lightest too.The updates are manual and the free version updates can be very slow.I put AVG on my mothers PC because she doesn't want to bother with updates and it scans outlook/Thunderbird.I tried Avast.Besides the Zone Alarm conflict it's a huge program and detection doesn't seem any better than AVG.I noticed improved detection with AntiVir over Avast and AVG.

To protect against spyware try SpywareBlaster and for the best Spyware scanner try Ewido.

3. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

I use the free version of Avast and it scans my e-mail for viruses.

4. Kanos

Kanos Why yes.

Same here, my emails are scnaeed and it has automatic updates which are easier becuase you odnt have to do anything AT ALL. Plus it has resident scanner that scans everything. I also have sone alarm and even though it says it conflicting it doesnt really. I just say contiue and eveything works perfect.

For anti-spyware get these
    Adaware SE
    Spybot s and d
    Ewido anti malware

all free and all great

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I think that's new for 2006.I did try out the newest version briefly.I got some message to turn off part of Zone Alarm.All of the free anti virus programs are improving.AntiVir doesn't have a lot of English support.I tried Bit Defender and it was terrible!!I have tried a few other firewalls besides Zone Alarm too.

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Thanks for the replies ;)

I use Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Zone Alarm with AVG. I tried the MS Spyware Beta and it's not bad either.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

My only prob with AVG...

I somehow got a virus and was running AVG. Now I don't blame AVG for this, that crap happens, but the problem was removing it. Turns out, the virus was in an "archive file". The software would detect the virus, then not allow me to delete the archive file. Then it would not give me the path to the file, so I could manually delete it. For some reason, AVG will not delete/quarantine an archive file, even if it is infected.

Installed Avast, updated, ran it. It detected and I deleted the virus the first time. I've ran Avast ever since.

8. Bronson7

Bronson7

I used to run AVG but kept having this unnerving problem: The icon would disappear in the systray. Kind of scary. I've since gone to Avast and am very pleased with it. I did have problems with Avast being friends with ZoneAlarm, but I liked Avast so much, I removed ZA and went back to the SP2 firewall. With Spyblaster, I'm vitually virus/spyware free, Although I still periodicaly scan for all of them.
    Bronson7

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Another Avast! convert here.

I used AVG for quite awhile, up until the 7 'upgrade' came out. At that point I saw many, many problems with slowed-down machines, ten-minute boot times on some very fast machines, and some probs with AVG detecting, then wanting to leave, virii on the system.

Avast has none of those limitations, the GUI is a bit smoother for new users (to say nothing of the auto update), so that's my full-time AV engine.

For now.

10. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

I had the same problem and now I use Avast along with Sunbelt Kerio Personel Firewall, both are free and work well.

;)

11. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I like Avast better than AVG, which always seemed to have trouble finding its update server.