Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is pretty clever. Obviously if someone is using AVG, it's easy to see why someone unsuspecting would click it... then WHAMMO.

Disabled the "real" AVG, needed to "upgrade" to the paid version to fix like 25 infections.....

Malwarebytes removed it fairly easily.

IGF

·
GT Mayor
64,670 Posts
Thanks for the heads up my friend:wavey:

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Stick with Linux / BSB, Indy... unless you like the abuse?:faint:

·
AKA Fluffy316
2,208 Posts
This one is pretty clever. Obviously if someone is using AVG, it's easy to see why someone unsuspecting would click it... then WHAMMO.

Disabled the "real" AVG, needed to "upgrade" to the paid version to fix like 25 infections.....

Malwarebytes removed it fairly easily.

IGF
One day when I find the bastard writing these viruses, I will make sure I give him one to the kisser just for you. :rofl:

I set my mom up with Ubuntu about a year ago after she kept falling for the same stuff over and over (I'm convinced that I am adopted). Since the switch, she has no issues and I don't have to concerned about her messing it up.

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stick with Linux / BSB, Indy... unless you like the abuse?:faint:
Trust me, I gave the pitch... but they just weren't having it... "Ok.. see ya next month".. :)

Windows is no more here at Camp Gunfreak. The only "Windows" is a small virtual install I keep around in case we absolutely must have it.

IGF

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One day when I find the bastard writing these viruses, I will make sure I give him one to the kisser just for you. :rofl:

I set my mom up with Ubuntu about a year ago after she kept falling for the same stuff over and over (I'm convinced that I am adopted). Since the switch, she has no issues and I don't have to concerned about her messing it up.
Yup, had the exact same issue w/ my youngest sister. She was involuntarily switched to Ubuntu several years ago. She was mad at first.. but I helped her work the learning curve, and now... 2, 2.5yrs later... she thinks using her friends Windows laptop is "weird"... :)

The issue, is not AVG.. AVG is a fine antivirus program. Unfortunately, this popup looked very real.. it's gonna catch a lot of "non-techie" types, just like Antivirus 20xx has for the last few years. The fact they made it look like AVG(a fairly popular antivirus program) is pretty slick.

IGF

·
AKA Fluffy316
2,208 Posts
Yup, had the exact same issue w/ my youngest sister. She was involuntarily switched to Ubuntu several years ago. She was mad at first.. but I helped her work the learning curve, and now... 2, 2.5yrs later... she thinks using her friends Windows laptop is "weird"... :)

The issue, is not AVG.. AVG is a fine antivirus program. Unfortunately, this popup looked very real.. it's gonna catch a lot of "non-techie" types, just like Antivirus 20xx has for the last few years. The fact they made it look like AVG(a fairly popular antivirus program) is pretty slick.

IGF
The funny thing is, she only uses her computer to check e-mail and browse the web; yet it still took a small learning curve... What can I say? My mom could never even program a VCR, so asking her to be able to load a photo to Facebook is pushing it... That's what Teamviewer is for. :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The funny thing is, she only uses her computer to check e-mail and browse the web; yet it still took a small learning curve... What can I say? My mom could never even program a VCR, so asking her to be able to load a photo to Facebook is pushing it... That's what Teamviewer is for. :rofl::rofl:
Teamviewer.. It's a beautiful thing... I use it to help people w/ Ubuntu support all the time.... Remote desktop (for me) is very easy... but when you have some people that have no idea how to open a port on their router, or start a vnc server, etc.. it's like.. "Just download this and install it and give me the numbers"..

It's pretty awesome.

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Via......Vera......**** (!)..................¡Viva Avira!

HTH
:wavey:
Not a huge Avira fan. I actually prefer Avast on Windows machines that want Free Antivirus.. but AVG is pretty good to.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about Antivirus stuff.. :)

IGF

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Man, that AVG virus IS pretty tricky. I thought I was pretty savvy to these things, but I almost clicked on it today. Fortunately, it didn't seem quite right and I remembered reading your warning weeks ago.
Thank you very much Indy! You saved me from a real pain.
GeG

·
R O C K E R
2,754 Posts
I use a MAC so I don't have to worry abou tit, but I'll make sure to tell all my Windoze friends

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Love my IMac and not having to worry about it getting sick with a virus :tongueout:

·
Behind you!
3,521 Posts
Cant wait for Mac to have as many users as windows so the virus makers will focus on you. The smugness of apple users is unreal.:upeyes:
I know, right? The biggest reason virus ******s don't normally mess w/ MAC is because it's not worth there time. Eventually, MAC will gain enough users and they'll go after 'em. I bet MAC users aren't worried about trojans either. But those are out there now.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah, I used AVG for years but that new 2011 version was having WAY too many bugs and that thing is huge!

Went with Microsoft Essentials and couldn't be happier.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,684 Posts
Avast user, here, with paid version of Malwarebytes running full time. Catches a lot of that junk.
I am running the same setup and have had no problems in a long time.

Another thing I do is run as a limited user. I only run as an administrator when I need to install something. Takes the wind of most of these attacks if you aren't running as an admin user. And gives you a clear warning when something asks for admin privileges when there is no reason for it do so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts