Avenue of Flags

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by magsnubby, May 21, 2005.

1. magsnubby

magsnubby NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of our local cemeteries is really big on celebrating Memorial Day and Veterans Day. They always have some type of service on both days. On Memorial Day they have a fly over in the missing man formation. There's always lots of veterans in attendence. The local VFW supplies the color guard.

One of my favorites is "The Avenue of Flags". It seems like the entire cemetery is lined with flags. The biggest majority of the flags are the ones that draped the veterans caskets. The cemetery will store the flag and fly it on both Memorial Day and Veterans Day. They attach a metal id tag through one of the eye holes. You give them the veterans name and they'll tell you where the flag is being flown.

Dad passed away in January. I finally took his flag to the cemetery this morning. It just seemed so hard to let go of it but i know he would be proud of the fact that his flag is being flown on such a special day. Dad was very proud of his military service.

RIP all you of old soldiers.

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

I think sharing that flag, seeing it wave in the wind will cause you to see it in a different way.

Perhaps you might find some of your father's character in the meanings of the colors red, white, and blue, used in the flag, "White signifies Purity and Innocence; Red, Hardiness and Valor; and Blue, Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice."

It will be tough handing it over. When it is flying over the cemetary, please take a picture and post it here.

It will mean a lot to us Vets.

;? ;? ;?