close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AVDANTAGE: 17 or 34 ???

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Oct 25, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I posted about how I am planning on shooting one gun for a while and how I was going back to 9mm from 40. I had planned on getting a G34 to do this with but now I am thinking the G17 or even the G17C with an extra (non-ported) barrel might be a better choice. Any opinions? Is there really any big advantage to shooting the 34 versus the 17? What about the "C" model, does the ported barrel and lightened slide offer any real advantage over the plain G17?
    I know the sight radius is longer on the 34 and I know the advantages that Glock says there is for each pistol but I want to hear opinions from experienced shooters, people that have actually fired these guns.
    My thinking and what I have been told by alot of GSSF shooters is that the G17 (C model or not) would be a better choice for GSSF due to the fact that I can use it in every division besides Heavy Metal and SubCompact. It seems to make sense to me but the G34 idea comes from the fact I want to use the gun in alot of other disciplines. Will the 17 serve me just as well in USPSA, Steel Challenge, and IDPA?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The G17 may be the perfect Glock for GSSF, IDPA SSP and USPSA Production. Only real advantage of the G34 is that is should come with a factory "-" connector, and you can remedy that. The G17 is faster on the draw, and you will not miss the extra 0.75 inch sight radius. You may enter the G17 in the following GSSF Categories:

1. Amateur Civilian
    2. Competition
    3. Master Stock
    4. Unlimited

At your stage of development as a shooter, that is more than enough categories. I've used my old Gen2 G19 in those four categories many times.

In IDPA or USPSA, you rarely ever have a target beyond 20 yards.

A new Gen4 G17 gives you the added advantage of multiple back straps and better frame texturing for competition.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

It's a tough call. As was said, you can't shoot the 34 in Am Civ, and that's usually the "easier" place to win, although I still haven't done that. I've come a long way with just my 17. Shoot it okay in IDPA.USPSA too.

Having said that, I have a 34 that's at the gun shop waiting on me to pick up, I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to run it in USPSA/IDPA for awhile and see what I think of it... If I like it I'll keep it or sell it for another G17 or something. We'll see.

I think with either of them.... they're not SO different that if you make one of them "your gun", that it would be a huge change to shoot the other?

4. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Mike, I think that you have a good plan there. I will be shooting my G23, G35 and maybe Gen4 G27 (time permitting) in the upcoming Pensacola match. I have been thinking about picking up a turn-in G17 or a new Gen4 G17 as it is such a good all around model with less perceived recoil and somewhat cheaper ammo cost. Will just have to wait and see how it goes with the 40s in P'cola.

5. The Highlander

The Highlander

I have every 9mm Glock makes, except the 18. I carry a 19, best compromise between size, feel, firepower and so forth for me. My first Glock was a 17, and that is the gun I shoot in GSSF. I also shoot a 17L in Comp (the 34 is also eligible for this obviously but not AmCiv.) The 17L is a little slower transitioning target to target. But, it has less muzzle flip. The 34 is about halfway in between in length, so maybe it would be the best compromise. Who knows. For what it is worth, one day I'm more accurate with the 17, and the next day it may be the 17L or 34. I'm not sure one has the "advantage" over the other, they are just different, not necessarily better or worse. Oh yeah, I have Glock adjustable rear sights, and Tru-Glo fiber optic front sights on all my competition Glocks. My sight picture is basically the same no matter which gun I'm firing.

I'd probably go with a Gen 4 G17 if I were starting from scratch.

6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

I didn't read any of the above posts....even the OP's.

G17

7. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Having owned and shot both, I will say the 34 has the advantage right out of the box. Someone has already mentioned the lighter trigger and although accuracy was close I noticed tighter groups with the 34. Why not start with the better platform?

8. VOLGRAD

VOLGRAD

I have a 34 mostly just to round out the 9mm collection.

I carry a 19 and shoot a 19 in GSSF (most of the time, occasionally a 17).

I shoot a 17 in IDPA.

For some reason I have noticed (after tracking scores & pistol shot) I shoot a 19 better in GSSF than a 17. The opposite is true for IDPA. In IDPA I shoot a 17 better. I have tried a 34 in each and frankly I was slower, more accurate but significantly slower.

9. Justin1911

Justin1911

I have a 34, shoot a 17 and carry a 19 :cool:
    I like the way the 17 balances and feels better than the other glocks, so I have grown to shoot it more. I shoot the 34 just as good (or bad) as the 17, I just like the feel of the 17 better. I don't shoot the 19 as well, but I really should practice more with it, esp with it being my carry/home defense gun. 17's a great gun IMHO to use for nearly everything to might want to do - gssf, idpa, uspsa, 3 gun, steel matches, carry, etc.

You can also put a (-) connector in a 17 along with extended controls like the 34 has if you like that. If anyone says a 34 is better choice because of the longer sight radius I think I might puke. It's 99% the shooter and not what model gun you have in your hands. I'm sure most of us know of certain master shooters that have turned in low 40's scores or better with a subcompact gun.

10. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I spent most of last season shooting my Gen4 35 in USPSA limited. I switched over to a Gen4 22 and have really stepped up my scoring.

In the typical USPSA or IDPA distances there is no advantage to having a longer sight radius. The difference is negligible anyway.

I am able to transition my 22 faster than my 35.

There is nothing you can do in competition with a 34 that you can't do with a 17.

11. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

:thumbsup:

Where do you shoot USPSA at?

12. mike g35

mike g35

The man has spoken, thats good enough for me.

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Well MAPSA was being shot at Faribault for the past several years. It has moved to Pine Island now, your neck of the woods. I shot a weekly league on Thursday nights at Oakdale this past summer. Also shot various matches at Minnetonka Game & Fish.

There's Wednesday night IDPA in Faribault in the summer. Indoor USPSA-like league at the Burnsville Pistol Range every other Thursday now through the winter.

Then toss in a monthly steel match from April through October.

LOL I've been busy.

14. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I use the G17 in Am Civilian and a G34 in Am and Master Comp.
    Somehow, I shoot my G17 better.

15. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Sadly enough, I too shoot a G17 for Am Civ and my G34 in Comp - and my G17 times are always better. Of course, the loose nut behind the trigger is to blame, for sure - but sometimes I think I simply spent $85 more than I needed too.

PS: But I am not giving up on my G34, so please, no PMs offering to buy it. :supergrin:

16. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

lol, yea I still like my G34, and I take it out to the range when it gets lonely being away from my G17 and G27, lol.

17. Noponer

Noponer

I am going to say that a 34 is a better choice because of the longer sight radius, just so I can make Justin puke! (send me a video, Justin - so I will know it really happened). :tongueout:

I agree a really good shooter like Justin can shoot a short, simple gun better than I can shoot a longer, tricked-out gun, but I believe sight radius does matter... as the gun industry apparently does. The advantage of the difference in sight radius between a 17 & 34 is certainly not much.

For those who say sight radius does not matter, let's try this....... remove your front sight, cut the base of the sight flat & glue it on the top of the slide 1" in front of the rear sight (making sure it's aligned correctly in front of the rear sight). Then, let's go shoot at some 50 or 100 yard targets & we'll see how well you do. OK - probably better than me... but I would be willing to bet that your hits would improve with the front sight back at the muzzle end of your gun.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  18. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Even GSSF does. That can be the only reason why the G34 is allowed in the COMPETITION division, but not the Am Civ division. Glock/GSSF must feel as though an advantage can be gained from shooting that gun?

BTW... picked up my G34 from the gun shop today (GSSF purchase). Blue label with 5.5# connector, gonna have to stick a 3.5# in there and take it to the range tomorrow.

Got an GSSF indoor match to shoot with it next week, will shoot that with a Glock 3.5#, and then put a Ghost Rocket in it for the winter. It'll be awhile before I shoot another GSSF match.

19. Noponer

Noponer

Griffin will be my next match, Ron. I think you said the same in a recent post. I will look forward to seeing you there.

I will find out then how you like your 34; I have had 3 &, personally, I prefer the overall feel to a 17. I know I'm no Butch or Justin, but when I shoot my Glocks, I like to pretend that I am. :rofl: I used to pretend I was BamaTrooper, but too many other GSSF shooters want to be him. :supergrin:

20. mike g35

mike g35

Good luck at the indoor match Ron. I figured out I wasn't going to BUY a G34. Why should I when I already have one. I am stripping the G34 racegun I built back to its stock configuration. There ya go I got a G34 problem solved. Not giving up on raceguns, its just that there's no sense in having a G17 9mm racer AND a G34 9mm racer. The G17 is a way better gun for that use anyway. Now I am thinking about getting a G17C and plain barrel for it to go along with the C barrel, but thats a long way off unless I win a random pistol from Lexington. Time to stop buying guns and start reloading.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011