close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Auxillary/Reserve Police

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KenBGlock19, Feb 28, 2010.

1. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

What kind of commitment does this involve as far as training goes before being "certified" as an Aux/Reserve officer? I have a full-time job and am interested in giving back to my community. Is this something that can be accomplished on weekends/evenings for training or will it interfere with my regular, paid job?

2. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Have to check with your local agencies that have reserves, all programs are different, sometimes even those in the same state. Training varies widely, as does monthly commitment.

Randy

3. sargespd

sargespd

Hey Ken, since I saw this thread I figured I would answer the question you asked me in the other one! The position I took is with a very small village department, that could not afford to pay officers to staff a department, so they were looking for unpaid "auxiliary" officers. I was already certified, having been with a much bigger, much better paying department for 23 years, so all i did was apply and interview. Most agencies looking for reserve or auxiliary officers will be looking for officers who are already certified, rather than pay to send them to the academy. Not sure how it is in your state, in Ohio there are "open enrollment" academies, where you can just sign up, pay your fees, and take the program. No need to be sponsored or sent by a department. Some departments in Ohio have paid reserves or auxiliaries, others are volunteer. I believe Ohio requires that you work at least 16 hours per month to retain your status as a certified Peace Officer. If this is something you really want to do, I would say go for it. Over the years I have know a bunch of guys who had great jobs, but really wanted to be a cop, and did so as reserves or auxiliaries. They were great at it, because they were doing it because they loved it, not because it was their livelihood.

4. KenBGlock19

Thanks a lot for the insight! I've always wanted to be an LEO, but my career has dragged my elsewhere in life and I'm lucky enough to enjoy the job that I currently do. However, I keep going back to LE as something that I've always wanted to do. I'll definitely look into it - I'm extremely interested.

Typically, do they do the academy or do they do in-house training?

5. toddmog

toddmog

You sound like me! I've been a full time youth pastor for 10 years, but have always wanted to something LEO related. My city dept has a reserve unit and so does our county. I just got hired on with the county. I had to fill out an application and be interviewed. Some parts will be paid and some will be volunteer. I have to provide all of my own duty gear...they issue a short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, polo, and vest. They said something about a mag-light, but I bought a Stinger LED.

As far as training goes, ours is in house. I'm taking a defensive driving course this week and they are hoping to have the handgun course sometime in March if it thaws out and warms up some. We are required to work a minimum of 8 hours a month. That could be a 2 hour basketball game once a week or an 8 hour patrol shift on a Friday night. When we pass out the schedule, they try to get everyone 1 shift the first time around, then another the second time around. After that, it's wide open and you can work as much as needed. There is one guy who regularly gets around $500 a month...he pretty much takes everything that nobody else wants.

You should definitely check it out in your area!

6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I started out as a reserve in 1994. Paid my own way back then to get through the academy and it worked out fine because the department didn't issue jack except the vest, gun, holster, mag pouch and creds. Thankfully, I had all my own stuff already thanks to the academy so that made it easy.

The reserve academy was every Monday, Wednesday night and all day Saturday so it didn't interfere too much with your work life but it sure cut into free time. The curriculum and standards are the same since the state didn't differentiate when they certified you as a peace officer.

Commitment was 2 shifts a month and a monthly reserve meeting which included training hours which went toward our CPT (continuing professional training) hours of 24 hours every 2 years.

That is pretty standard for most agencies here in Southern California that has a reserve program.

7. Delon

Delon

Best thing to do is check with your local PDs and the Sheriff's Office to see if they have a reserve program, if so, what are they allowed to do, what is the training, etc ?

At my agency, the training is a roughly 400 hour regional academy, then a complete state FTEP process which will take another 500 to 700 hours.

But once complete, we do everything the full time guys do and we are held to the same standards. Sometime we get paid if we are doing a special gig, court, or we are covering a shift for a full time guy.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  8. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

In my state there is no difference in initial and annual training requirements whether the person wants to be full-time, part-time, volunteer, or reserve. All positions are sworn and state-certified with no difference in "powers." 700-hours of academy training and around 40 hours of annual in-service plus firearms.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  9. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

For the most part, that is how it is in Texas. It doesnt matter what your "status" is (full time/part time/reserve...) Everyone does the full Academy and full continuing ed requirments and everyone has the same "powers"

10. L4zy

L4zy Military Police

Same here in FL. :wavey:

11. .357Magnus

.357Magnus

I was at Osbornedale State Park in Derby this past weekend. Actually the 4th year in a row for the Cystic Fibrosis Walk. They have Derby Auxiliary Officers staff this event and others throughout the year. They are very professional and represent the town very well.

12. KenBGlock19

Nice! That's really cool that you were there...my cousin has CF. Glad to hear people are out there helping find a cure!

13. .357Magnus

.357Magnus

Our friends son has CF and we really hope they can find a cure. BTW, I also heard that Trumbull has an Aux force, though I have not noticed them at events.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  14. KenBGlock19

Awesome...I'll check that out! And thanks again...just wrote you back on PM.