Automotive electrical help - ignition!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NeverMore1701, Mar 16, 2010.

1. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Backstory:

A while back I replaced the radio/cd player in my car. In the process, I unplugged the in-dash clock. I finally had some free time and it was a nice day, so I figured I'd tear the dash apart and plug it in. That didn't take too long, so while I was out there, I took apart the center console to retrieve a quarter that had fallen down a crack and was making an awful rattling sound. Also no problem. Got everything back together, set the clock, drove around the block to make sure I hadn't bumped any wires loose, tested all the electronics, and all was well. Got home, parked, and that's where the fun began.

I couldn't remove my key from the ignition. I put it back in gear, then back in park, tried again. No go. It goes from On to ACC and won't rotate to the off position to be removed. I know it's electrical, because if I take off a battery contact I can turn they key to the off position and remove it with no problem. Reconnect the battery, put the key in, starts up fine, but then can't take it out again.

I'm stumped, anyone have any idea what's going on?

2. bluenoise

bluenoise

I'm guessing you accidentally unplugged the switch that detects the car is in Park. I'm assuming your shift lever is in the center console that you had taken apart. My car won't let me remove the key if the lever isn't in Park.

3. NeverMore1701

Here's what wires I saw in the center console and what they do, best I can tell

Light
    Rear window control
    ECT power (changes when on the power band the transmission shifts)
    Brake/shift sensor (don't know what it's actually called, but it's what doesnt let you shift into gear without pressing the brake)
    Overdrive on/off

That's all I can see :dunno:

4. AutomotiveTech

AutomotiveTech

Sounds like bluenoise is right. What year, make, and model.

5. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

bingo

6. NeverMore1701

'95 Toyota 4Runner. I've taken the center console apart before to replace some bushings on the 4WD shifter, and this didn't happen. Don't think I did anything different this time, though I suppose I could have and not noticed. Maybe there are some fairly simple schematics online somewhere that a layman could make sense of? I've been looking and haven't come up with any.

7. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Drop the quarter back down there.

8. bluenoise

bluenoise

If you can't find the park-sensing switch, maybe the console is just reassembled such that the shifter won't go fully back to its proper place. Is all the trim around the shifter aligned and snapped back in place properly? Make sure the shifter isn't resting against the trim at the top of its travel.

9. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

The only place I know of where you can get freebie schematics is your local public library- anything online (outside of forum advice) costs $$$.

So pull it apart again, and look closely at what is in there- if the key comes out when the battery is disconnected, then you must have either missed a wire or connector, or pinched a wire or two, or ran a screw through it, or somehow dislocated the switch that indicates 'Park'. You should be able to figure it out easy enough.

Alternatively, the switch is inside the transmission, and you somehow managed to adjust the linkage so the shift lever doesn't travel fully into park (less likely).

Next time use bubble gum on a stick to remove errant quarters. :wavey:

10. spotco2

spotco2

Its mechanical and not electrical.

Somewhere in the console you have something binding and not letting the shift interlock cable fully travel allowing you to turn the lock cylinder back to the off position.

Pull the console, push the trigger on the shifter and watch for what moves. Pull it down into gear and back up to park and see what moves when it gets to park. Whatever those parts are that are moving when you get to park, they aint movin far enough for some reason.

Also make sure that the shifter itself is not hitting the front of the console and stopping it from going all of the way in park. Easy way to check is will it go into park and let you remove the key when the console is off?

11. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

When he disconnects the battery, the key will come out.