close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Automobile electrical connectors

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G17Jake, Aug 6, 2012.

1. G17Jake

G17Jake

The ones in the engine compartment... does anyone else have trouble getting them disconnected?

I hate the design. If it is cold out there is a good chance I will break the connector getting it apart. Is there a special tool for them?

It seems like there is room for improvement.

2. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Which manufacturer?

3. G17Jake

G17Jake

The last two vehicles were Nissan and Toyota, but I don't know if the others are any better. The connectors have a tiny little tab you have to push while at the same time pulling, while your hands are in some tiny little space.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  4. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I'll let you in on a little secret in the automotive/heavy truck industry.

Very rarely does a manufacture use exactly the same connectors from one model year to another. Some will be the same but many will be different.

It usually comes down to who is the lowest bidder. The Delphi connectors are usually the worse and the AMP connecters run a close second.

In my experience, the Deutsch style connectors seem to hold up the best and give the least problems with coming apart.

I know where the OP is coming from though. The designers that make these connectors obviously have never tried to take them apart in tight spaces (let alone try to release the pins from them....:steamed:)

The worse in my experience are the Metri-Pack are the worse for trying to get the pins to release out of the connector. Even with the proper tool!

I usually replace everything I can with the Deutsch style connectors. They seem to hold up and are much easier to work with.

5. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

This is why the zip tie was invented - to go around connectors after you break the tab off.

Similar to the wire doohicky around fuel injectors. I've flung more than one into the great abyss of the shop, never to be seen again. Ever. Always have lots of zip ties on hand, though.

6. G17Jake

G17Jake

After googling the different style connectors NEOH212 listed, I think the Nissan had Amp connectors. I broke one of them, but I was working on the car outside in January.

The Toyota I worked on recently had what looks like a Delphi connector. That one was kind of tough.

Something I was working on had the Deutsch Style Connectors, I think it was an old GM truck, and I was impressed with how clean the contacts were. The connector really had good weather protection.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  7. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Zip-ties.... the modern bailing-wire.

8. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Those connectors come apart by hand, that's how they were designed. If you can't take it apart, take a good look at it before starting to pry away with a screwdriver.

Sometimes the locking tabs do break, especially when it's cold and/or the plastic has aged. I personally use a dab of silicone instead of a zip tie.

9. JW1178

JW1178

Yeah, and a few years of heat and cooling cycles with exposure to the elements and they are tough as hell and then when they give, they snap.

10. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

The ones on my 2002 Acura MDX are amazingly easy to disconnect without damage, all the other vehicles I have worked with ..not so much.

11. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

What does the manual say about disconnecting them? Is there a tool? Should they be sprayed with alcohol or some other secret sauce first?

I've faught with many a seemingly-simple machine, only to realize after cracking open the book written by the fellas who designed that machine that I was doing it wrong.

Don't know if this is the case here, but RTFM is always high on my step-by-steps.

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

The manuals that actually come with cars (that I have had) say nothing about them.

Manuals like those from Haynes never seemed to mention them either, but things could have changed over the years.

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Either one of those "manuals" is useless for anything beyond oil change. If you want to fix your own car, you need the factory service manual.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Of course.

The last I knew those were pretty pricey, but I'd bet they're on the interwebs now for free.

15. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

+1 on factory service data. It costs more but people don't realize what they were missing in the other manuals until they have it.

:wavey:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012