close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Automatic Knives

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by milglock707, Jan 15, 2010.

1. milglock707

milglock707

Does anyone have any experience with the automatic knives from Gerber? I was looking at these and was wondering if they held up as well as the spring-assisted ones do. Additionally, if these are not quite up to par do you have any suggestions for an automatic that are up to par. The main purpose for this knife would be a combat environment and used as a back up to my main combat knife. Thanks! :wavey:

2. Playin104

Playin104 Packin' Heat

IMO Gerber has not made anything worth carrying in over 10 years.

3. milglock707

milglock707

I have their Fairbain Applegate Folding Knife and am happy with it. Is there an automatic knife out there that would worth carrying?

4. milglock707

milglock707

My wife is looking at getting me one for a gift which is why I am asking this question.

5. milglock707

milglock707

6. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

Your in the wrong section. You should try posting this questions here:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

As for my opionion, I would stick with Benchmade, Microtech, Protech, Zero Tolerance, and Spyderco for autos. THe reason being Gerber always uses some sort of mystery steel in thier blades. Also, I don't know how well the action holds up on a Gerber. A really neat new auto from Kershaw(Zero Tolerance) is an Emerson/Kershaw calboration. Here is a link:

http://www.autoknifeworks.com/emersonkershawcommanderautomaticblackplainedge.aspx

Good luck!

7. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I don't know anyone that would prefer an auto over a fixed blade if combat was the job.

I'd go with a boot knife, push dagger, or stilleto (fixed), and I DO know you asked for recommendations about switchblades.

The reason I didn't say protech is the job you're inquiring about isn't a switchblade job.

In the interests of full disclosure I own 5 6" blade Ek daggers, in D2, and 2 S&W wide boot knives, model 830, in 440c (to the best of my knowledge).

And a TDI plain edge, and several small fixed blades that would work in a pinch. NO auto knives, don't want any nor have a use for any.

Auto knives are for guys with a girlfriend shortage, who practice quickdraws in front of their mirror.

AFTER they get those really cool $200 sunglasses.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  8. milglock707

milglock707

Well I have never looked into the autos before which is why I was asking. I am by no means a SEAL or Ranger but the fact is I get close to the Taliban (well I can never be sure, they all wear those damn towels on their head) on a frequent basis, and by close I mean sitting with a bunch of them in a room discussing why they should not be stoning their women to death. I figure an auto would do the trick because if I am using it that means that both my weapon and my main knife are not available, in which case speed would be of the essence.

9. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

I really like my Protech TR3. Perfect knife IMO.

10. cziv

cziv

Yes, you are in the wrong section but - I agree whoeheartedly with mitchshrader on all counts.

I pocket carry small fixed blades like the RAT Izula in a heavily "jimped" custom kydex sheath, or a Spyderco Streat Beat, or a RAT RC-3 MIL.

I haven't bought the excellent TDI because I never wear a belt - but it's good if you do wear one.

I can deploy any of my Benchmade or Spyderco manual folders fast than the few automatics that I own and they're much lighter.

I can deploy any of the small fixed blades much faster than any of the folders I own.

Watch this video to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

If you want to save your life, forget about an auto knife. :)

11. Laserlips

Laserlips "Laus Deo"

FWIW:

Kershaw makes some very good assisted opening (ao) folding knives.. The one finger (flipper) opening (SpeedSafe) technology has made a LEGAL ao knife open just about as rapidly as a dedicated (and often ILLEGAL) fully automatic knife.

In fact, I have a ProTech Ciabatta and the blade on that sucker opens EXTREMELY fast...

My concern for a cc knife is as a b/u to my cc pistol. (LWS380). IF the time comes I ever have to use a knife for personal defense you can bet all alternatives have been explored and discarded.

BUT if that time ever comes I think the fine ao's from Kershaw fit the bill for what type of knife a person can legally, and easily, carry on his person.

Kershaws come in many varieties and blade lengths.. The photo below shows the "Leek", "Shallot", and "Tyrade"..

For my taste while the Leek is a fine choice I had rather carry the Shallot (Damascus blade) because I like the shape of the blade better, and it offers a very nice grip. The Tyrade would obviously be my choice if I knew I were going to a knife fight (and couldn't take a gun), but for daily carry (@11oz) I think it' just a tad too large.

Just choices..

Kershaw does offer a lifetime warranty, and their customer relations reputation in the knife industry is 2nd to none. Prices are reasonable too, and you can often get whatever knife you desire off ebay for roughtly 50-60% of the retail price.

None of my Kershaws cost me over $80.00 delivered..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

[​IMG]

12. fx77

fx77 CLM