Automatic Knives for Carry ...LEO's please chime in

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by islandglocker, Mar 18, 2010.

1. islandglocker

islandglocker

I was wondering if there are any good automatic knives that are reasonably priced. Something that is strong and comes from a reputable manufacturer. The intended use is for daily carry with my Glock 19 as a backup to the pistol and for use on daily endeavors "cute rope on my boat, peel an orange etc etc".

DISCLAIMER.

I had a thread closed on me earlier this week because someone suggested what I was talking about was illegal and it turns out IT WAS NOT. In this case the question is directed to LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS who are allowed to carry automatic knives.

Thank You

2. JohnnyK221

JohnnyK221

Try this website:

http://nicnac.net/

I believe they are listed highest to lowest price.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010

3. lbckid19

lbckid19

with proper training, you can deploy a non automatic knife, such as a benchmade just as fast as an auto. However, if you really want an auto, i would strongly recommend the Kershaw cyclone. its pretty much a legal auto. Theres a torsion bar instead of a spring, and theres no button, but a hump on the back of the blade that when pushed, it will spring open just as fast as a true auto. you can also turn the auto function off and make it an ordinary flipper. Rock Rock solid to. About 65 bucks, heres a link http://www.knivesplus.com/kershawknifecyclone-ke-1630blkst.html

4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Actually, in some (if not many/most) states where automatic opening knives are illegal there is no LEO exemption, and many depts have policies agains them. I realize your location lists Belize, but I should still point out this fact.

BTW: If you want to direct a question to LEOs I suggest asking it in the Cop Talk section

5. lbckid19

lbckid19

The knife I linked you to is fully legal, I know cause i bought one in california.
    Just incase your department doesnt allow an auto, this knife should still be ok. The blade needs to be SLIGHTLY nudged to be opened. Its tecknically not a switchblade but it sure opens like one with that tension bar!!!!!! gotta see it for yourslef

6. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

I'll point out to others that you are in Belize, so you probably don't have to worry about some of the strange knife laws we have in the U.S. Having said that, most of the major manufacturers have an automatic version of their knives available. SOG, Benchmade, and Al Mar are some of the best, IMO.

7. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wouldn't rely on that logic.

I like my Emerson CQC-8 with wave shaped opening feature. Who needs an auto?

<--Is not/never was a LEO*

8. lbckid19

lbckid19

Its not an auto. But acts like one. If you haven't seen one, don't act like you know what's up. Its legal try and prove me wrong.

9. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chill. I never said it was illegal. I am simply suggesting you not determine that something is legal because you were able to buy it. That is all.

You seem to have verified it's legality beyond simply deciding that since you bought it, it must be legal. That's a good thing.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Don't why they would think that - switchblades are legal where I live and I can carry one concealed with my CCDW permit. Were they suggesting they are illegal in Belize?

As for good ones, if it's a switchblade I don't think it's good (won't stay closed, bad springs, etc.), so I'm not much help. If I carry a knife, it's an SOG Flash assisted opening.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Pefectly legal to buy, carry, conceal, etc., in Kentucky (with a CCDW permit). People without concealed carry permits have to carry the knife openly, rather than concealed.

12. lbckid19

lbckid19

sorry warp your right man. (no sarcasm) I bet you could tell I had a bad day depending on my response, my bad, no disrespect to you. Its because of conflicting post people usually get a right and unbiased answer. I bought one and it was all good. Not technically labeled an auto due to some patented designs. Check for yourself OP, its a great knife and from what I know, legal everywhere in the US.

13. HexHead

HexHead

That's a great knife. I got one after I saw Alton Brown using one on Feasting on Asphalt II. It's a pretty big knife though, I'd like to also get the mini one.

14. rscottk90

rscottk90

Truth in that, in va, im pretty sure butterfly knives are illegal but the gas station sells them.

15. BobbyT

BobbyT

You guys realize that autos aren't illegal everywhere right? Your usual blue urban failures where everything else is illegal tend to outlaw them, but it's by no means universal.

Also, plenty of assisted-open knives are just as simple and convenient to deploy. Customs wanted to reclassify all of them as "switchblades" last year, but some or other law was rewritten to clarify that if you're flipping the blade open yourself and not using a button, it's not an auto.

As for me, I've carried the Spyderco P'kal in my pocket every day for 2+ years now. It's a fantastic knife, built like a tank, and instantly ready to use.

16. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

I carry an auto everyday, I would highly suggest the Benchmade 9100/9500 series, or really any product of Benchmade. I recently purchased the 9500 and have been carrying it for about a month now. It an extremely well built and flawless knife. It also deploys fast and consistent, and it has a very good, strong safety.

Can't go wrong with Benchmade...plus, if you're LEO/EMS/Military you get a 30% off discount and can purchase restricted knives.

-Cody

17. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I'm not a fan of automatic knives. I haven't found one that was very good quality (especially in regards to price compared to a regular folding blade).

18. islandglocker

islandglocker

Thanks for all the responses. I believe I will go with an open assist knife...

As to the laws governing knives down here. You can carry any knife as long as you do not carry a concealed knife who's blade is longer than three inches between 10PM and 6AM on a public place cause it will be confiscated.

19. icarryone

icarryone

20. Glock!9

Glock!9

That site said its illegal to have possession in PA unless a curio or antique.
    I am 99% sure that is not accurate.