close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Auto redirect to "lonewolf distributors "?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by MB-G26, Apr 10, 2004.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

A wierd thing happened immediately upon loading www.glocktalk.com into an IE 5.5 SP1 browser - it appeared I was immediately redirected to 64.221.248.191, lonewolfdist.com (shows up in FW log w/o any protocol or www in front of the domain, just the domain dot com is what is shown in the entry).

I didn't knowing click on the banner/add, however, I was asked to accept a GT cookie which had a reference to 'add block...' in the cookie string. Immediately after accepting it,since it was a GT cookie the window autoredirected to the lonewolfdist.com page.

In checking the c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5 subdirectory(ies), the GT temporary cookie(ies), and I see the www.lonewolfdist.com/main/css cascading style sheet entry, various www.glocktalk.com/sponsors/adimage . . . entries and such, php? GT entries, etc., of course all the jpgs and gifs for lonewolfdist.com, but no lonewolf cookie -only GT cookies (one/some is for "pre-installeduser@www.glocktalk.com" and another/others just plain @glocktalk.com).

There are two permanent cookies of GT in my c:\windows\cookies file: one last dated/timed ("modified) 2/29/04, 10:51pm, and the other 4/9/04 11:22pm. The temporary cookie entries for GT are 2/29/04 10:51pm and 4/9/04 11:21pm.

Now, granted, it's been a long 48-hrs. plus, and I am tired, but I am really pretty sure that I didn't click ANYthing after putting the GT url in IE's window - other than to accept the cookie which at my quick glance appeared to be a GT cookieand after acceptance of which the window immediately became a Lonewolfdist.com window. I first logged in to GT tonight, according to the FW log, at 23:21:36.
    First outgoing connection FW log entry to LW is 4/9/04 23:22:05 (TCP port 80 count 2) and the 2nd is 23:22:10 (TCP port 80 count 4).

I'm not trying to quibble or start trouble, or insult Eric, ok? But I am confused by the seemingly automatic redirect to Lonewolf - if I want to go there I will tell IE to do so, and don't really want something else telling IE for me. Security settings won't let me copy or open the temporary GT cookies while online, logged-in, etc., so perhaps I can look at them later and see if I recognize the 'add block...' string I saw earlier.

It could just be an unintentioned anomoly, or it is remotely possible I clicked on the LW ad - but I really don't think I did especially since I was doing something else with my hand in between steps......

In any event, has anyone experienced this or something similar?
    m

2. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Maybe you had a Java burp.... I use the Sun Java engine and never have a problem with those little link scripts.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Hi!
    I know nothing about computers.
    The new ads and format are killing my internet explorer and java.
    Some times I just give up and go to gun sites with no ads.

4. Wayne02

Wayne02

GT has been acting strange for a couple months now on my end. Three times now I have clicked into a thread, and had some sort of win xp security/pass-word box pop-up, wanting me to put in my password for someones website.

It would happen only on these three particular threads. I could click into any other thread on the board without this pop-up security message. Didn't happen on any other forums I frequent either.

Not sure how these guys get away with this, or why it only happens on certain threads and not others. Doesn't give one a very secure feeling when somebody can just bust in on a forum/thread with these intrusive sign-on messages for websites I've never heard of, and am not interested in.

Wayne

5. troyboy30

troyboy30

can we get that in english?

6. Grog

Grog Millennium Member

I thought I'm the only one who gets that excited about GT J/K

^5 ^5 ^5 ^5 ^5 ^5 ^5 ^5 ^5

Also testing a file attachment....