Auto parts stores

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Folsom_Prison, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Not sure if it’s just around me but these parts stores are slipping. Every time I go in it’s always somebody new. Usually some kid fresh off the bus that has no clue. A while back I walked into one of them looking for cotter pins and e clips. Couldn’t find them in the isle out front. Asked the kid behind the counter to run in back and find me the bulk assortment. He looked at me like I had a second head..... no we don’t have that! Yes you do!

If I need something like oil I try to run into Oreilly’s and grab it, they price match Walmart. I know they price match Walmart because I used to work for them and I specifically asked the District manager once.

Went in the other night to grab a quart of Castrol that they wanted almost 8$ for, told the guy behind the counter to please price match Walmart and showed him the Walmart price on my phone with was like 3.88 or something. Nope not gonna do that but I’ll price negotiate. Oh yea what’s your price then? I’ll take 50 cents off. I told him to keep it. Now they act like it’s coming out of their paycheck. A different guy did the same thing to me with wiper blades.

What’s real fun with these young kids, if they can’t find it in the computer you’re SOL. Went in looking for something and that’s exactly what happened. I told the kid to grab a book, he straight up told me he didn’t know how to find stuff in any of those books.... mind blown!

I worked parts for a few years, I enjoyed it most of the time. That said I took some pride in it. It’s a lower paying job, I get it but damn.

I remember one time this old farmer came in and slapped a carb on the counter from some 1930’s John Deere tractor looking for a rebuild kit. I thought oh boy this will be fun. I had a couple stack of carb books about eight inches thick. Took a couple hours and some phone calls but we got it figured out. Now you go in asking for blinker fluid and they start typing it in the computer.

Think I’m done with these places and gonna start doing my own part number search and use rock auto or amazon.

nrajeff, Johnix, Ross-in-Pa and 14 others like this.
  2. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I'm usually in there looking for Techron or something.

Folsom_Prison likes this.

3. icantpick

icantpick Señor Member

You have to wonder what the owners are thinking. If all I wanted was to look up parts on a computer, I'd have done that from home. If I came in, it's because I want the convenience of quick, informed service.

Maybe you save a few dollars paying your (formerly skilled workers) unskilled labor wages, but when you drive all the competent workers away, guess what, you've now driven all of your customers away too.

There was a time jobs like that payed (adjusted) $12/hr starting. Now you pay nothing and scrape the bottom of the barrel while all of your customers order their parts online.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    treg, Ross-in-Pa and Folsom_Prison like this.
  4. Jump

Jump

I remember the days when there was a long set of parts catalogs in a metal rack that the counter guys looked up parts in. The page edges were greasy from their fingers! Back then parts house guys were also mechanics.

Now days if it isn't on the computer it doesn't exist. I use Rock Auto. I can work a computer as well as the guy behind the counter.

Jump

Johnix, Ross-in-Pa, -JCN- and 9 others like this.
  5. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    " The owners" are big corporations headed by people who know zero about how cars work, little about customer service, and alot about stock prices, dividends, and profit.

nrajeff, Trebore, treg and 10 others like this.
  6. icantpick

icantpick Señor Member

Can't argue with that. From our side it looks dumb, but then they are the ones driving Porsches, so I guess it's working for them for now.

Trebore and Folsom_Prison like this.
  7. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Corporations my friend, I’ve worked for my fair share of them. Places like Oreilly and NAPA once had a down home feel history, that shipped has sailed.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Exactly! Went in tonight needing a new belt tensioner for my truck. Got the run around, looks like the AC Delco one is almost 40$ cheaper on rock auto.

hos327, IAhunter and Jump like this.
  9. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

It's not just parts stores... It's anywhere the "young" people work. The idea of doing a job right, or efficiently, or correctly, or accurately... Those days are OVER... YOU... Yes YOU... Are an IDIOT if you expect ANYONE now-a-days to give even the littlest **** about actually doing their job... Those days died when you were a teen... NOT kidding.. Kids now.... fuark... you are lucky if they even take their eyes off their phone screens and acknowledge you... If you get that.. count yourself lucky.. For $100 an hour they could not be bothered to actually give you what you need, when you ask for it.. I PRAY for the day computers/robots take over menial jobs.. Maybe then I can actually get what I ask for.. Now....... I just expect that NOTHING will ever be right and that I will personally have to be involved if I want something done to my specifications.. you can ask for green cubes of plastic... and when you get red squares of bread.. You better be THANKFUL... or they will spit in your bread... STUPID.. all of them are just eaten up with the STUPID..

treg, K. Foster, LEO/Dad and 2 others like this.
  10. pgg00

pgg00

I also agree. I usually get stuff from rock auto now.

11. Detectorist

Detectorist

Around here O'Reilly's starts employees at $9/hr. They can get away with it because there is a good supply of young folks who like that type of job.

12. screwman

screwman

There’s rarely a parts man anymore. Around here they’re paying about 13 at oreillys and the napa stores.

Most of the parts stores don’t stock much, anyway. Next day shops, now, unless you’re a repair shop. They cater to them now.

13. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Yep. Went into Menards the other day looking for a part for my kitchen faucet. A young lady came over to help me look. I showed her the part and she told me that they didn't have it. I was looking right at it! ;) I showed her that it was the right part and I got a "whatever".

Best advice I ever got was "when you go into a shop look for the oldest guy hopefully with a little gray hair". Usually that works the best though not a guarantee. :)

nrajeff, tuica, treg and 5 others like this.
  14. wally1

wally1

+1 for Rock Auto.

Everywhere I go, for several years now, I see "trainees" and never the same person twice.

No one wants to pay for experience, profit margin is king. General business education (50 years ago) taught me that managers don't need to know the product, they just need to know how to manage.

What kills me is that not only are these people ignorant, but they consider themselves experts and don't hesitate to tell me that whatever I'm looking for does not exist.

When someone tells me to support local business instead of buying online, I tell them to find one that knows what they are talking about.

Folsom_Prison and Gfive45 like this.
  15. zonian

zonian

+2 Rockauto

Folsom_Prison likes this.
  16. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I look it up online before I go into parts store. O'Rielly, Autozone, etc. I get Wix from Rockauto half price of O'Rielly. I don't depend on brain trust of store, just look it up, walk in store with part number etc. Saves time. I won't be needing much in future. We have newer Accord, and I just ordered new Tacoma. Trading off ole 01 Ram, with trans and computer code problems.

17. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

Old guys suck to. Ace Hardware has a pile of old useless Men.

Tire shops are getting this way as well. Don't even know what a plug-patch is. Don't know how to apply sealant to a wheel rim. Don't know how to remove a wheel from a truck. (no you do 't need to wait until the alignment rack is available, you don't need a lift at all).

treg, Folsom_Prison and mj9mm like this.
  18. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

I am thankful that we have a very good local parts store where I live. My definition of a good local parts store is that the employees can smoke at work, they know your name and what you need before you ask. And they know more about your vehicle than the dealer mechanic. This in addition to a honest mechanic/tire dealer makes life significantly easier

tuica, treg, 5.45 Shooter and 4 others like this.
  19. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I went in once and asked if they could look up the interior dome light for a 93 F150. Not a rare thing. Toothless behind the counter types on the computer for 3 seconds, "can't git it."
    Whats that?
    "Can't git it."
    You don't have a light for an f150?
    "Nope."

Went home, looked up the part, went back and found it myself. Lesson learned.

20. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

O'Reilly's guys here are knowledgeable, will install batteries, wiper blades for free and offer a military discount. Can't get that at Wal-Mart. And you don't have to wear a friggin mask!

orangejeep06, Folsom_Prison and mj9mm like this.