close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Auto Paint Gurus; Orange Peel

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M&P15T, Apr 19, 2012.

1. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Question for any lurking auto body & paint professionals.

I just picked up my car from my dealership's body shop, they had repaired damage to the driver's side rear quarter panel near the wheel well arch.....some d-bag hit it while parked.

The area that was re-sprayed has bad orange peel. Is this something that further buffing can fix, or is it in the paint, under the clear coat? What should I ask of the body shop to get it right, or is this something I will just have to live with.

FYI the car is black, so every little defect is very obvious.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Take it back.
    When I've refinished guitar necks I've had some orange peel. In my case, not enough light mist coats caused it. I used progressive grades of wet sand paper to remove it and wound it up with high grade rubbing compound. Turned out great.
    There is no reason you should accept sub0standard work.

3. dango

dango

An easy fix is to wet sand it till it's smooth again , spray a light coat to get coverage and lay on the clear coat.There are additives for such a thing and it's usually when the paint dryes too fast and doesn't have time to lay or spread it'self out. They make a retarder for this problem and you must also make sure of viscosity "not too thick" .
    Orange peel is when the paint drys too fast.
    Take it back and make them fix it ,the orange peel could be in the pigmented part of the finish and no , this ca not be buffed out !

4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

The paint would have to be re-done, right? Or at least a lot of buffing and re-applying the clear coat, right?

5. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Take it back. You paid for a proper job and orange peel is deficient work. Could be too much paint, not mixed properly, too much air pressure, etc. Might be fixed by sanding and polishing, but if not it needs to be redone.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Well, waiting for the body shop manager to call me back.

When he and I were looking at the damage the day I brought it in, I asked how much it would cost to fix the damage. He gave me what I thought was a pretty cheap guesstimate.....to which I replied that I would be willing to spend more money to be sure it was done right....

And this is exactly what I meant.....this is exactly what I didn't want to see.

Now it will have to be in the body shop for another 3 or so days.

7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Orange peel is either contaminants in the paint or on the surface, or bad prep/finishing...
    have them finish the job to your satisfaction.

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Just got off the phone with the body shop manager.

First, he explained to me that moder car finishes are very thin coats of paint, and very thick layers of clear-coat. Evidently the clear-coat is 4 times as thick as the paint, and most scratches can be gotten out as they don't get into the actual paint.

Now, this was the 2nd time that this body shop has had to do work to my car. Last summer, just a few weeks into owning the car, someone took-out the driver's side front fender, and damaged the finish on the adjoining bumper cover. I was never satisfied with the finish on that front fender, as it had swirl-marks all through it. Then, that very same fender got two chips in the paint, and I touched them up a few months ago, very badly.

The manager told me he would have his guys re-polish that fender, rubbing out the two poor touch-ups I did. Well, that fender looks absolutely brand-new now. You can barely see where I did my poor attempt at touching up the paint chips, and the swirl marks are gone.

So, the manager told me to allow the paint/clear-coat to dry/harden for a few weeks, and they would then polish-out the quarter-panel to make it look factory new, removing the orange peel. So, the obvious point is that the paint/clear-coat has to dry/harden for a few to several weeks for the final polish job to be done properly. It is very obvious, based on how well the front fender came out after it's 2nd polishing, that letting the finish harden allows the final polishing to really have it's intended effect.

So, I'll wait 2-3 weeks, and then let them work their magic on the rear quarter panel like they did on the front fender.

Thanks for the replies, hopefully others can use this info I've learned to their benefit in the future.

9. RayB

RayB Retired Member

To the OP: It sounds like they want to make it right for you.

Besides, based on what you've said here, you'll likely need new body work soon anyway... Other people... :shakehead:

--Ray

10. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Friggin' NoVa.....NOT a car lover's paradise....not at all.:rofl:

11. VELO

VELO

That's a fair response by the manager. Let that clearcoat cure, they'll probably get that buffed out to a great finish. If it's not to your satisfaction then it sounds like this guy is willing to make it right for you.

12. kiole

kiole

It can be wet sanded out as long as there is enough clear coat. You would use progressively finer sand paper then polish the sanding scratches out using less aggressive compounds until your left with a mirror finish.

Every factory paint job comes with orange peel of varying degrees. Their repair job should be Undetectable from the oem paint.

13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Actually, the shop manager did use the words "wet sand" when explaining what they would do after the paint/clear-coat cured for a few weeks to remove the orange peel.

14. 427

In my experience, dealership body shops aren't that great and are the last place I'd take my car for work.

If the ins allows it, find a body shop that does high end cars. They tend to get things right the first time rather than deal with an irate picky customer. Go to a Porche/MB dealership and ask the new/used car manger what body shop they use. Chances are they contract some work out.

JMO.

15. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I know you have reasons for your opinion. But some of the nicest body work we've had done has been from dealerships.

In May of 2010 I took my car to a nearby shop that, like you said, has the cool cars outside--Audi's, BMW's, Lexus', etc. They did a crap-awful job on my car (and I have great insurance)! I went in and complained like hell! They apologized and did it over for me, and they nailed it; but they had to do it twice.

--Ray

16. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Sounds completely legit. You will usually see some amount of peel on on any finish. Some cars come from with lots from the factory *cough chevy* As long as there is enough clear it will come out great.

17. Glock13

Glock13

Just had a similar experience. I have had our car "professionally paint corrected" i.e. paid a paint expert to remove all the swirls from our brand new car. Someone then hit our back bumper. Had to be repainted. Asked the paint professional if the place would end up swirling the new part. He said yes, they would. I asked the repair place if it would be swirl free. They swore up and down it would be. Sure enough....they swirled it. Now I have to get the bumper re-corrected.

There are very, very few people who know how to do paint correctly or even what it takes to get paint swirl-free and without orange peel. Good luck.

18. Adjuster

Adjuster

I had a cheap paint job done to a car. Told the shop the paint had too many imperfections dirt, orange peel and even some runs. They said to bring it back in a few weeks after the clear dried and they would wet sand it. Car came back with perfect paint after the sanding. And the sanding only took one day for the entire car.

/