close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Auto Body/Paint Experts? GT Braintrust request

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gemeinschaft, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gemeinschaft

gemeinschaft AKA Fluffy316

My girlfriend had her car parked in a parking garage a couple of weeks ago and they were doing some work on the garage with pressure washers.

Apparently, the joint in the structure above her vehicle was directly below where they were working and her car got covered with whatever they blew out of the cracks in the garage. It looked like a bunch of rust fragments were all over her car.

She spoke with the supervisor for the crew who was doing the pressure washing and they sent her to a local Car Wash to have her car detailed.

When we picked up the car, it looked great and we basically thought that the mess had been cleaned up. Our optimism faded quickly after only a week or so, the hood of her car now looks like it has a bunch of cracks in the paint.

What is strange is that the surface of the paint feels smooth to the touch, but it is clearly visible that there is a lot of damage to the hood of the car.

I took some video to show the hood in hopes that someone who knows a lot about Auto Body and Paint might see this and be able to tell me what has happened.

I am not sure if the Car Wash did this or it has more to do with the crap that got put on her car in the first place at the parking garage.

Either way, I am sure that the hood is going to need to be repainted.

I would welcome any comments and if you are in Houston, I have cold beer in the fridge if you want to come by and take a look in person.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGgQsPEebh8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. 427

That looks paint crazing. That's caused by the sun heating/expanding and cooling/contracting at different rates in the different layers of paint.

3. gemeinschaft

Is it just a coincidence that this occurred within the same two weeks of the car getting sprayed with whatever at the parking garage and subsequently detailed?

4. 427

No, the sun's been doing that for a while. It was probably just now noticed when you all took a really close look at the paint on the hood. Check the roof and trunk.

5. gemeinschaft

It seems only on the hood... Maybe engine heat + sun??

6. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

Alot of concrete cleaners use a caustic soda based degreaser. This can easily remove paint or dry it out enough to cause cracks. It does this by removing the oils or agents that cause paint to remain flexible and somewhat soft. Possibly some of these chemicals ended up on your hood.
    File a claim against the concrete cleaner's insurance and see what the adjuster says. Worst case, file against the garage as well.

7. gemeinschaft

That's good to know. I need to find out exactly what they were using and, if it is bad for paint, I wonder why they would choose to use it while people are parked at the building?

8. 56belair

56belair

The reason you are noticing the crazing now is
    1: Because you are really looking over the car now
    2: When it was detailed it was waxed and that is wax residue in the cracks. Notice in the video how all of the stone chips stand out.

9. kiole

kiole

+1

And your car was most likely clay bared which removes wax and sealers which may have been hiding previous paint issues. I would find out what they used to work on the garage either way then bring it to an autobody shop and get their opinion in writing.

10. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Google Honda paint cracking...common problem with Honda and Acura.

Im a dealer and I see these every week. I just had to wholesale off a 2010 Acura TL with 28k because the paint was cracked just like yours. If yours is in factory warranty (3/36) take it to Honda and complain. If its not you either get it painted or learn to live with it.

Sorry

11. gemeinschaft

Thanks for the heads-up. I will look into it.

I definitely do not want to blame someone for an issue that is from the factory. I'll look into this.

12. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

At about the 33 second mark, the spot that you ran your finger across, it looks like a chemical has eaten into the clear coat. The rest of it looks like it was caused by abrasive action.

13. spotco2

spotco2

That's the way that dark Honda's are supposed to look.

Honda clear coat cracks on hoods due to heat from the engine and the sun. You are just seeing it because now you are looking for problems.

It's uber common. Honda covers it under their 3/36 warranty. After that, it's a consumable and you will have to pay to have it repaired.

I knew what kind of car you had before I even saw the video.

14. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Such cleaners were used a lot back in the day, and still may be out there, but nowadays non-caustic cleaners are the norm as they do the job just as well due to modern pressure washers taking up a major part of the workload. Even so, some people think chlorine bleach is a caustic agent, but I am referring things such as Muratic acid and similar industrial products/"cleansers."

I'm not a car-paint guy, but more than likely the professional cleaning magnified the problems in the hood's paint condition. If it was a parking garage, I'd suspect the pressure washing lifted all the gasoline, brake fluid, detergents, anti-freeze, oils et cetera and "poured them" directly on the car through the failed expansion joint in the garage.

Good luck.

15. handyman

handyman

You could contact the district zone manager (DSM) from honda and see if they would do a goodwill repair. Call your local dealer and get the number. If they are no help contact honda direct.